1914+100 Years

by Conan The Barbarian 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Conan The Barbarian
    Conan The Barbarian

Hi to everyone. I am new here. I have been reading things for a while.

In approximately 20 months it will be the year 2014. That year will be 1914+100 years. I don't know how the WTS is going to get around that if the "present system" is still in existence. There are hundreds of thousands of current members that were told "don't worry! The end will come before you get out of grammar school". These people were also told the scriptural reference that an average human life-span is 70 years. It could be 80 years if you had "special mightiness". That equated to 1914+80 years (generation) or 1994 (not withstanding the existence of "the sign"). This line of reasoning changed in 1995 (it had to) and has been updated twice more to where the term "generation" is understood to now mean "the Anointed" not 1914+80. These changes pushed the "generation issue" into oblivion and off the radar screen.

Now many of these people are 50, 60, 70 years old or older and will probably be looking at the same world system 20 months from now. They did not pursue "higher education" or other things that might have provided for them in their late life. So, I expect disallusioned members, who's potential for general life-long income (improved life style) and an adequate retirement were frustrated by the mantra that the end of the system is close-don't worry, live in expectation of it, etc. In approximately 20 months when they get hit in the face with 1914+100 and are still on the smae treadmill, I expect a serious decline in membership, at least in the western world.

I also note a de-emphasis on the 1914 date, Although it remains as part of the basic teachings (it has to), I see it being de-emphasized in the literature, talks, etc and the emphasis switching to observance of "the sign" which is subjective and nebulous. This diversion can take the WTS well into the future with less risk. Right now, "You got a lot of 'splaining to do Lucy!".

Anyhow, just my thoughts and present observations.

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

Welcome Conan the Barbarian!

Good observations and I agree that it is a year that won't go unoticed. The pre-96 teaching of the generation was a simple literal translation that deep down makes sense to a lot of JW's no matter how much they push the overlapping theory - which lets be honest - is grasping at straws.

mmxiv

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

welcome

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

Hello,

It's too late for the old ones because where are they going at 60+? They're in the age of retirement, entire families in the cult and friends, so are they willing to lose entire circle of association and walk? Few more will wake up with 2014 passing but no exodus will occur.

They can always point to those leaving as weak ones, use "lack of love" as another sign the end is near.

Christians don't serve for a date...

We're closer than ever...

Trust in Gb or you lose your life fear tactic...

Same old regurgitation will continue to flow and as long as witnesses are going through motions and afraid of leaving because of losing everyone they know, there won't be any exodus in 2014.

• cofty
    cofty

Welcome Conan - I'm sure you are right 2014 is going to be a big psychological hurdle for a lot of JWs

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

IMO , once you have accepted the overlapping generation interpretation, the 100 year mark bears very little significance. I doubt that 2014 will make a dent in association.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I think the Society has "headed this at the pass". By the time 2014 rolls around, they will be several years deep inot the new generation position. If anything they will regard it as old news and chid those who don't follow it, like they have in the past.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

And isn't it the fact that the organization has continually changed this dating system based from 1914,

creating a mental visual sign that something is amiss with all of this End Time prophecies ?

Now all of these changes are open for anyone to see on the inter-net and elsewhere .

Even the failed and false prophecies which were propagated prior to 1914 by the WTS. !

..... oops Houston we have a problem.

In the past it was easy for the WTS. to drop one End Time doctrine and replace it with another, all they had to

do was remove those pieces of literature from the shelves with the old doctrines and publish new literature with the new

End Time doctrine, making everything look tangible and believable for the consumers.

This is the real reason why most JWS today have little knowledge about what was publicly published by the WTS.

decades ago and who were the original writers of those published works.

Now the inter-net has arrived and this has changed the game somewhat for the WTS.

So many changes have been made over the years concerning the supposed End Times that the actual number of changes

have pretty much liquidated most of their viability.

2014 might be a pivotal year for the start of the decline of the WT organization in most modernized countries.

They the GB might be consciously aware of the situation themselves, the reason they are down turning most of

their operations, selling off Branches, stopping book studies ...etc .

Moving the organization into a state of prolong sustainability from what the organization cultivated in prior decades.

No doubt they have the money now, its really about how they can sustain that power and wealth into the plausible future.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Hey Conan, good to have you on board.

2014 will result in a few more than normal waking up like you theorize, but nothing major in my opinion.

They are already doing damage control. There is a silly WT out now telling people not to look back to "the good old days" or at "missed opportunities." No doubt HQ is getting feedback from people that they are pissed about being poor in their old age after listening to decades of end times propoganda from the WT.

But its too late for many. They will simply go through the prescribed motions from their leaders. As they approach death, they will simply be a burden on their family, or society as a whole- mainly because of the disgusting false phophecies uttered by the WTS.

• VM44
    VM44

The interval 1914 to 2014 far exceeds anyone's, including the Bible's, conception of the length of a "generation."

Except for The Watchtower's!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit