Watchtower's United Nations Association

by Celestial 61 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

The WT is still considered a NGO and attends OSCE functions on human rights in Europe. They, along with other religious sects, use this offshoot of the UN to help gain religious freedoms in "New Europe". Basically, they are lobbying the UN to put pressure on certain countries to allow freedom of religion. Is that getting involved in politics?

• mind blown
    mind blown

I guess so they can get more donations from the flock in other countries, steal/flip more KH from congregations, sell more literature, invest more in the stock market, buy more property with the flocks money.....

ENOUGH SAID......

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Is this a fair point? Not really, no. First of all, when you become a member of the YMCA — an interfaith “Christian” group — you are recognized as being “integral” to that organization, a little like when you get baptized and become part of Jehovah's Witnesses.

From the above mentioned website. This is complete bullshit. My father is not a witness and does not have a religious bone in his body. He goes to the YMCA to use the damn swimming pool. What part of that relationship is interfaith, Christian, or "integral", for that matter? And this is "a little like when you get baptized"? Maybe the swimming pool part!

Whoever wrote this is going through some mighty mental gymnastics to prove his "only true religion who doesn't meddle in politics" isn't meddling in politics!

• cantleave
    cantleave

Why the hell would they need a UN library card? Surely the materials there are aviable through other sources.

• cantleave
  • mind blown
    mind blown

Watctower 1979 that said that being a member of the YMCA would be interfaith. w79 1/1 p31 says, in part:

" In joing the YMCA as a member a person accepts or endorses the general objectives and principles of the organization . He is not simply paying for something he receives , such as when buying things being sold to the public at a store. (Compare 1 Corinthians 8:10; 10:25). Nor is his membership merely an entry pass, as when a person buys a theatre ticket. Membership means that one has become an integral part of this organization founded with definite religious objectives, including the promotion of interfaith. Hence, for one of Jehovah's Witnesses to become a member of such a so-called "Christian" association would amount to apostasy."

• Sayswho
    Sayswho

If it was ok... then why keep it a secret? Most Jw that I have asked about this knew nothing and most said it was a lie.

• For Me: THE FACT THAT THEY KEEP IT A SECRET (or "forgot" to mention it) to the flock shows that they KNEW they were going against their own teachings (gods?).
    • Level the playing field... lets all play by the same set of rules!
    • Your arguments show you to be disingenuous... you know but you don't want to admit it... so you misdirect.

As the saying goes: "It's not a lie if you believe it"

Sw

• Celestial
    Celestial

I crossed some broad strokes and there's the fine print which can be anything, as the U.N. charter can change independent of any nationality and U.N. membership application. What it comes down to in legal terms is what document someone signed their name to and what legal bindings the U.N. document defines.

My opinion, is there's no legal stipulation, as the U.N. operates in concept as a political entity above any federal government, as an elite agency for world peace. Supposedly, that's their primary objective. As long as you don't recognize them as such, I don't see why interacting with the U.N. or other political organizations on a limited basis should be such a problem.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Celestial; why don't you try interacting with your local church group, even for non-religious reasons, and then telling the elders there is nothing wrong with that?

How long do you think you will remain a member of the congregation?

It is the duplicity and hypocrisy of the situation that creates the issue.

• wobble
    wobble

They lied about it pure and simple, and they sent aletter to the Elders telling them how to lie about it too, good that from an Organization chosen by Jesus who says he IS the truth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit