Reality setting in for Jehovah's Witnesses?

by MrDarkKnight 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

well we're getting close to the anniversary of 1975. 40 years? Almost a generation? And preceded by the 100 yr anniversary of 1914 and that generation nonsense. Despite the joking made about JW's being oblivious, this stuff gets thought about alot. Just how far people take it varies. Some of them are here now. Time is their worst enemy.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I wasn't looking for a hard date. However, if we are in an emergency, I would expect to be out of this system within 3-5 years at most. You don't have emergencies that last whole human lifetimes--that is Jehovah taking advantage of people in an unfair way. Not being allowed to get anything out of your life--then, what's the damn point of life?

• Think About It
    Think About It
    Not being allowed to get anything out of your life--then, what's the damn point of life?

Isn't it obvious........to serve the WTS publishing corporation cult.

Think About It

• sir82
    sir82

I was at an engagement party recently for a couple of long-time pioneers, both around 40, first marriage for each.

The dude is a member of our congregation, the dudette is from farther away. For some reason the dude pioneer virtually never brought his girlfriend to our meetrings, though they had been dating for well over a year. So part of the engagement party was a series of "get to know you better" questions directed at the dudette.

Audience members wrote in what they wanted to know, and an "emcee" read off the questions.

One of the questions was, "where do you 2 see yourself in 5 years?"

I immediately thought, "OK, here we go...she's going to say something like 'welcoming back my dead grandma in the resurrection', or 'finishing up our paradise house', or some such folderol."

But no - her reply was, "We're going to be looking for ways to expand our ministry, maybe serving in circuit work."

That's pretty heretical - these 2 are not youngsters, they've been "in the truth" and pioneering a long time. They are "all in". And they don't see Armageddon coming in the next 5 years.

I can remember, not so very long ago, that expressing any 5 year plan centered on "this system of things", even "expanding your ministry", would be viewed as a lack of faith. Now it doesn't even register as unusual.

• undercover
    undercover

I can remember, not so very long ago, that expressing any 5 year plan centered on "this system of things", even "expanding your ministry", would be viewed as a lack of faith. Now it doesn't even register as unusual.

Yea... I remember anyone with plans beyond the immediate next few months wasn't putting faith in the assured expectation of God's promise of Armageddon. People were ridiculed for having children so close to the end... those children now reaching retirement age, by the way.

The WTS was able to keep the "end" in our immediate plans with crazy doctrines and teachings like the 1975 debacle and then the generation of 1914. Once the 'generation' teaching failed/changed, the sense of urgency was lost. It didn't happen overnight, but over the years since 95, the urgency of the future coming of the 'end' was slowly replaced with the urgency of living in the present...and planning for tomorrow in the real world.

In the past, when something failed, the WTS double-downed on the bet. They called a new bluff and kept interest in the game. With the 'generation' change, the WTS failed to double down. With no bet on the table, the dubs lost interest in the game. Even if the double-down was doomed to lose, just like every other bluff, the fact that they called the bet would keep people's interest piqued...and some no doubt betting along with them. They walked away from their bet completely and everyone that had a stake in the game left the table.

• Think About It
    Think About It
    In the past, when something failed, the WTS double-downed on the bet.

A bet is exactly what some of the WTS end times BS can be likened to. How many JW's sold everything, or put off many normal life activities, because they were betting on 1975? How many JW's now didn't save for retirement thinking it would be a foolish bet? Reality is setting in on the JW's, and many are probably contemplating that they bet their whole life on the false promises of the WTS.

Think About It

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

YES YES YES

Just like the GB managed to unlink the "generation" teaching from 1914.........they are now in the process of unlinking "the end" from having as much relevance in our day. This process would not have worked 50 years ago because the entire point of becomming a witness was because the end was so near. Fast forward to today and they are still doing their best to keep witnesses on their toes (cause you know.....the end COULD still come at any time)......but it no longer holds teh SIGNIFICANCE it once did.

By focusing on "we have the truth......period" and "obey us implicitly".....they will spend the next 20 years making everyone's minds over. No longer will witnesses be "serving" with the view that the will survive armageddon..... (though it still could happen!!!!!!). They will be serving with the view that they have the truth and the only way to please God is to obey the GB.

the farther we get (in terms of years) away from their doomsday apocolyptic prophecies of the 20th century....the easier it will be for them to accomplish this.

• Ding
    Ding

Outsmartthesystem's comment is interesting.

For about 100 years, the WTS ginned up d2d fervor and numbers by promoting specific dates for the end.

The 1975 fiasco plus the advent of the internet may be forcing them to change their strategy -- stressing obedience rather than firing up JWs with dates.

However, that doesn't help bring in new ones, and the constant "obey or else" message is bound to drive away a lot of born-ins and raised-ins as soon as they are able to leave.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit