Hayden Covington's unwitting role in harsh disfellowship policy

by Terry 66 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Wulf
    Wulf

Kudos Terry. Let me say a personal thank you for this thread. I was speechless after reading it. A whole childhood and adolescence of being surrounded by gilead missionaries, bethelites, zone, circuit and district overseers, GB, strong people "in the truth", which I had left behind, flashed before my eyes.

I always knew the JWs were crazy, but I didn't know there were people of conscience who took a stand against the organisation and were able to analyse it at such a high intellectual level. That I can now see on this thread. It seems like I waited half my life for it!

I do think we should be collecting these JW first hand accounts and compiling them, many of them from oldtimers who might not be around much longer. There really should be a definitive history of the JWs put together.

• Terry
    Terry

I have come to realize that for every wack idea the religion has published there is a back story.

For every weird policy or New Light flutter or cover up or clamp down there is some personal background event behind it!

Mere humans playing god can be petty and self-deluding and they can cause great harm pretending Jehovah blesses their farts and makes

the aroma the scent of roses.

The more we delve, investigate, unravel the loose ends for the tie that binds the better off we all will be.

It is the personal responsibility of each of us who knocked on doors and parlayed bullshit into cult membership for innocent people--that we

try and UNDO as much damage as we can by telling the truth about the "Truth".

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

Terry -

I'm glad this was bumped. I missed it when you started this thread over a year ago. Thanks Wulf!

I saw Hayden Covington when i was about 8 or 9 years old giving a special talk at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles. An amazing speaker, everyone was captivated by his stories and confidence that JWs were the right people at the right time engaged in the right fight. With Jehovah on our side, how could we lose? Of course, just about every young JW male between 18 and 22 went to federal prison, many right to Terminal Island (Long Beach, CA). Not one of my acquaintances escaped - except me: I was married, had a kid, bad knees and was color blind. That gave me a pass.

Every JW I knew worshipped Covington and when he was on the road with his special talks the auditoriums were jammed.

Wow - if I had only known the truth about him then...

JV

• Terry
    Terry

Every JW I knew worshipped Covington and when he was on the road with his special talks the auditoriums were jammed.

Wow - if I had only known the truth about him then...

JV

I remember the first time his name was mentioned to me back in the late 50's it was with a kind of hushed reverence and awe!

He was the knight-errant for the Society.

A person with his ability could probably never be allowed at the top of the organization!

The presidency and vice-presidency of the Watchtower corporation is really a very strange occupation with weird qualifications.

Not among those qualifications is competency in logical presentation of facts!

• JOOMI LEE
    JOOMI LEE

How come I get the feeling that many or most apostate web sites are owned and controlled by money loving liars in HERR Bill Gates JR's back wallet pocket and may even be some kind of LDS Mormon worker bee to boot?

HERR Joseph Rutherford loved to hear himself talk. He droned on and on in court and outside of court sessions. Brother Covington, on the other hand, was clear and concise. I actually did get to meet him once or twice or so.

I know, I know. Many of you are wondering what on earth the first female member of the Governing Body is doing with a real membership account on an apostate web site. Hey, isn't she even considered bad association by inactive publishers in healthier parts of the forest "timeline"?

Inquiring minds wanna know. Hey, even MY inquiring mind wants to know what on earth I'm doing on an apostate web site!

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Drugs: just say no.

• Lieu
    Lieu

Witness My Furya day ago

Drugs: Just say no.

Haaaaa! Er, we know a certain "House of god" is full of drunks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit