Hayden Covington's unwitting role in harsh disfellowship policy

by Terry 66 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Terry
    Terry

In the January 8, 1947 Awake! magazine the following article appeared.

The above article was published under the Watchtower presidency of Nathan Knorr. How does this view compare to Knorr's predecessors?

Under Pastor C.T.Russell the following statement made clear how Bible Students were to view the subject of disfellowship.

"Rather, like the church of Rome their ["Religious leaders of today"] influence is exerted to restrain investigation within the sectarian limits. With the implied threat of disfellowship, they urge their ministers and students not to search continually for truth, but to accept the voice of their sect as infallible." Watchtower 1887 Apr p.923

A strong contrast between Russell's view and the Religious leadership of Christendom is presented. Russell says false religious strategy is to stifle investigation outside of official church teaching by threat of Disfellowship. Russell's emphasis is that such a threat was to protect a sense of infallible teaching by preventing any personal member's continual search for truth.

J.F.Rutherford continued this policy and viewpoint as evidenced in the following article.

"The great adversary is wily, and at all times is quick to appeal to passion. He persuades some that they must take a radical stand against some secular work or activity, and to proceed at once to disfellowship others who cannot conscientiously take this same stand. Somehow they seem to think that their radical stand entitles them in a very special sense to divine favour and blessing. his attitude leads them to violate principle in various ways: (1) By judging and condemning others who do not see as they do; (2) By refusing to fellowship those who still believe in the ransom, the restitution, the high calling." Watchtower 1919 Feb 1 p.6385

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Can we say the three Presidents of the Watchtower are of like mind in viewing Disfellowship policy as something Christendom uses more as a threat

to stifle honest inquiry rather than a legitimate tool only to be applied to those who reject the Ransom sacrifice of Jesus Christ?

Yes!

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So, what happens next that completely REVERSES this view just 5 years later??

Suddenly, an enforcement policy equating association with a DF'd person with....WITCHCRAFT appears!!

In the Watchtower 1955 October 1 p.607, associating with the disfellowshipped became ITSELF a reason to be disfellowshipped:

If a publisher refuses to do this and ignores the prohibition on associating with the disfellowshipped one, that publisher is rebelling against the congregation of Jehovah, and rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as idolatry and teraphim. If after sufficient warning the publisher persists in associating with the disfellowshipped person instead of aligning himself with Jehovahs organization he also should be disfellowshipped.

A chilling article follows in 1987 requiring members to spy on and inform on each other!

"This command from the Highest Level of authority in the universe put the responsibility upon each Israelite to report to the judges any serious wrongdoing that he observed so that the matter might be handled. While Christians are not strictly under the Mosaic Law, its principles still apply in the Christian congregation. Hence, there may be times when a Christian is obligated to bring a matter to the attention of the elders. True, it is illegal in many countries to disclose to unauthorized ones what is found in private records. But if a Christian feels, after prayerful consideration, that he is facing a situation where the law of God required him to report what he knew despite the demands of lesser authorities, then that is a responsibility he accepts before Jehovah. There are times when a Christian must obey God as ruler rather than men. Acts 5:29" Watchtower 1987 Sep 1 p.13

By the year 2011, on page 60 of Shepherding the Flock of God:

"Though this is not an exhaustive list, brazen conduct may be involved in the following if the wrongdoer has an insolent, contemptuous attitude made evident by a practice of these things:

Willful, continued, unnecessary association with disfellowshipped nonrelatives despite repeated counsel." p.60

The Governing Body invaded the privacy of even the bedrooms of their membership with an extraordinary on again/off again confusion about what was right and wrong!

An erratic pattern of denunciations soon followed targeting matters not specifically outlined in scripture. Concerning oral sex, for example:

• a disfellowshipping offence - Watchtower 1974 November 15 p.704
    • no longer an offence - Watchtower 1978 February 15 pp.30-32
    • once again an offence - Watchtower 1983 March 15 p.31

The following rose to the level of offenses as well:

• Gambling - common throughout history, such as the casting of lots over Jesus clothing
    • Use of Drugs such as marijuana - in common use in the first century
    • Celebrations - Romans 14:1-18 specifically says not to judge anyone over the observance of days

The Bible counsels kindness and forgiveness for person's requiring discipline:

2 Corinthians 2:5-8 " Now if anyone has caused sadness, he has saddened, not me, but all of YOU to an extentnot to be too harsh in what I say. This rebuke given by the majority is sufficient for such a man, so that, on the contrary now, YOU should kindly forgive and comfort [him], that somehow such a man may not be swallowed up by his being overly sad. Therefore I exhort YOU to confirm YOUR love for him."

Watchtower policy is harsh and threatening with an overtone of Jihadist fanaticism :

"Jesus encouraged his followers to love their enemies, but God's Word also says to "hate what is bad." When a person persists in a way of badness after knowing what is right, when the bad becomes so ingrained that it is an inseparable part of his make-up, then in order to hate what is bad a Christian must hate the person with whom the badness is inseparably linked."
    Watchtower 1961 Jul 15 p.420

"Being limited by the laws of the worldly nation in which we live and also by the laws of God through Jesus Christ, we can take action against apostates only to a certain extent, that is, consistent with both sets of laws. The law of the land and God's law through Christ forbid us to kill apostates, even though they be members of our own flesh-and-blood family relationship..."
    Watchtower 1952 Nov 15 p.703

Paul's counsel differs dramatically.

When discussing a person seduced by apostasy Paul said at 2 Thessalonians 3:15:

And yet do not be considering him as an enemy, but continue admonishing him as a brother.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________-

The question remains: WHAT HAPPENED between 1947 and 1952 that caused a 180 turn from established scriptural policies?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

In 1940, Hayden C. Covington—then the Society’s legal counsel and one of the “other sheep,” with the earthly hope—was elected a director of the Society. (John 10:16) He served as the Society’s vice president from 1942 to 1945.

Hayden Covington was by all accounts an extraordinary force of nature and a natural fighter who never backed down from a confrontation either legal or personal. His hero was Watchtower Society President J.F.Rutherford who was also a staunch advocate of confrontation of one's foes.

In 1942, Rutherford was replaced by Nathan Knorr as the Society's leader.

According to Covington, it was himself who "had the votes" to become the President. But, Knorr had "connived" him out of it.

An immediate clash of personalities resulted....at first UNKNOWN to Covington! Only gradually did the opposition become clear.

In an interview years later *, Covington referred to Knorr in pejorative terms. He called him "sneaky" and a "cobra" and called into question Knorr's courage because of having witnessed him back down from altercations with Catholics in a public forum.

Knorr did not want Covington as his vice-President. Rutherford insisted on his death bed that Covington be appointed. Knorr was poorly educated and Covington considered him ignorant.

Knorr was rankled by Covington's superior education and attempts to influence Society policy through intimidation. Consequently, Knorr engineered a change in policy to exclude non-anointed person's (other sheep) from serving as a governing body member. By 1945 Covington was forced out.

A public relations spin was offered that Covington had "graciously declined to serve" in view of the new policy. Everybody who ever met Covington knew quite well he NEVER backed down or withdrew!

Knorr's champion and fellow conspirator, Fred Franz, created the new policy in order to install Franz in place of Covington.

Covington was retained as legal representative, however, attaining Supreme Court case wins in 80% of the the lawsuits filed.

Two polices of Jehovah's Witnesses may well have been directly impacted by the personality of Covington and the discord with Franz and Knorr. The first was

the policy on Higher Education. Knorr considered Covington's irrepressible ego to be a direct result of "higher education" and a superior attitude.

As animosty grew, public statements by Covington embarassed Knorr and Franz's sense of absolute rightness.

Testifying in a legal case concerning Matthew Barrie we find the following from:

http://thegoverningbody.org/matthew-barrie-jehovahs-witness-judicial-hearing-glasgow-scotland-4/

Walsh Case (See essay The Martyring of Matthew Barrie – A Study in Ethics), and it was a chap who had some legal difference with the Organisation and the vice-president of the Society, Hayden Covington was testifying on the stand and the line of questioning led them down the route of ‘false prophet,’ and he asked various questions regarding the Organisation’s teachings and beliefs over the proceeding decades. (16:10)

And Brother Covington answered in the affirmative: ‘Is it conceded to be the case that your organisation has made false prophecies? And he said, ‘Yes,’ and he said, ‘Would that mean that you’re false prophets?’ And he said, ‘That is conceded to be true.’

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________-

Knorr and Franz braced themselves.

How could either of them win a battle with Covington in the court of public opinion, in an actual lawsuit or otherwise? Covington was brilliant!

Only one avenue of approach remained where the "high ground" would be created to virtually demand all JW's worldwide osctracize Covington (or any other clever antagonists who challenged their athority) for Apostasy if they could engineer grounds for disfellowshipping!

Consequently, the sudden stiffening of penalty and harshness of attitude immediately began to set the stage for an arsenal against any (even Covington) who dared take on the Governing Body!

In the above speculation, I am saying that disfellowship policy was emboldened in reaction to perceived internal enemies and, once in place, grew stronger or weaker as threats came and went over the years.

Post 1975 the internal murmurings let loose a virtual jihad against any nay-sayers. All of which is a 180 degree flip-flop on Society history of this policy.

http://ed5015.tripod.com/JwCovington99.htm

• Terry
    Terry

Jerry Bergman, PhD, in an Interview with Covington:

When I arrived, Covington was not home, so his wife went out to locate him. He was at a bar, drinking. When she brought him home, he was rather tipsy. This was disappointing to me because I was raised not to drink. Drinking was a problem among Witnesses, and I knew that it had been a problem with Covington (and was part of the reason why he left Bethel). His being tipsy was good in one way because he was very open with me and willing to talk about almost everything I asked him, and I took notes.

It became very clear that he idolized Rutherford. For example, I knew that Rutherford's wife had a stroke and that she wasn't in good health (she died in 1962) and I asked about the philandering rumors. Covington was laying down when I asked him about this and immediately sat up and was obviously very, very angry. He looked at me and said, "If your wife was paralyzed, what would you do?" I immediately knew I better not pursue that line of questioning. He seemed to acknowledge that Rutherford did have paramours, but defended him to the hilt. I also asked him "who wrote the articles in the Watchtower?" He answered Rutherford, who "had help, but alone was responsible."

He kept calling N.H. Knorr, the president then, a "cobra". When I asked him why he said, "Do you know what a cobra does? They'll slither behind you, and they'll strike viciously." It became apparent that he detested Knorr. This could be because his problems with the society began when Knorr became president. Covington claimed that he, Covington, had the votes to become president, but Knorr connived him out of the presidency.

I never had that much respect for Knorr (partly because Knorr only had a high school education) but, as Covington talked, I had more respect for Knorr. A conflict clearly existed between Knorr and Covington so I openly asked him, "Why didn't you like Knorr? What was the problem?" He never gave definitive evidence that Knorr had a legitimate problem except Covington's personality was very much like Rutherford's (and very much in contrast to Knorr's).

He did mention one incident. This involved a fight between Witnesses and Catholics at Madison Square Garden in 1939. He concluded that Knorr should have stayed and fought and "beat the s--- out of those bastards" (referring to Catholics). Knorr snuck out "like a coward" and was unwilling to physically fight. My thought was, I would have done exactly what Knorr did and not hung around and fought. Knorr wanted the Society to become more respectable, and so there was a basic conflict of goals, and how to achieve those goals. The average Witness had much respect for Covington but, as time went on, I lost respect. One reason was I felt to beat up your critics was not the way to deal with problems.

• designs
    designs

Bergman was right on the issue of how to settle conflicts with governments and other religions but back in the 1920s when mobs were beating up Bible Students and on into the 1930s under Rutherford fights out in Service were not uncommon. My grandfather, as a Bible Student and as a JW, beat the crap out of more than a few guys who tried to jump him.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Interesting. My take away on both issues was that these guys were fully engaged in getting as much power as they could. Covington, while a brilliant attorney, had an ego as well as a serious drinking problem and was too prone to get into conflicts. He was easily out maneuvered by Knorr who without the benefit of Covington's education out smarted him. My quick personal opinion is that anyone who admired Rutherford was disqualified to run an organization.

However it's also interesting to me to see how in later years they out maneuvered Ray Franz by using the same disfellowshiping tactic. So all of these families, marriages in modern times were broken apart because Knorr, Freddie and Milton got into it and the DF issue became the preeminent process to hold onto power.

• Terry
    Terry

It is interesting to see how very very different the different Society Presidents were in personality, attitude and approach to conflict.

Russell was a virtual pussycat compared to Rutherford.

In all honesty it must stated that Rutherford really ASKED FOR the persecution by attacking everybody's religion, politics and loyalty. He was begging

to be hated. Except for the fact he brought down a world of hurt on the innocent Bible Students who went along for the ride out of misplaced loyalty.

I can just imagine Fred Franz silently watching the "buddy buddy" relationship between the Judge and the Lawyer (Covington) and wondering how he could ever rise to the top.

When Knorr came along he had an ally to catapult him into the Chief Prophet in Residence by squeezing Covington out.

Since Freddy could invent on the spot scriptural pretext for virtually ANYTHING out of thin air, I don't think Covington actually realized just what was going on behind his back until it was too late! Why? He was certainly smart enough. However, he was a TRUE BELIEVER, too!

At some point, when he had his own gradual epiphany, he hit the bottle and destroyed his credibility.

• designs
    designs

Most in my generation knew Covington for defending Mohammed Ali in his Draft Board case.

• Terry
    Terry

In the early years of the Society, the congregation as a whole voted on matters of a serious nature as a unit.

This democracy was too dangerous and could not be controlled from the boys at the top.

Eventually, the process was shrouded in secrecy like a cabal or Star Chamber.

Witnesses FOR an accused were actually banned from testifying!

A person is DF'd without the reason even being given.

Compare that to Russell's and Rutherford's view that a congregation be included in the hearing.

A emerging through-line becomes apparent that tells us Politics of an Internal nature and not holy spirit, praryer or channeling were behind many of the most impactful policy changes affecting millions of faithful Witnesses around the world.

• designs
    designs

Terry- Bible Student ecclesias still vote on members who act inappropriately. In the years I served as an elder we never had face to face meetings with accusor and accused.

• Terry
    Terry

Knorr apparently resented being regarded as too passive in the face of opposition.

He seems to have taken the opportunity to argue publicly with his own staff! Such is the following case:

QUACKENBUSH, COLIN A former editor of Awake! magazine who was dismissed for disagreeing with N H Knorr.

Joan Cetnar who served at New York Bethel 1954-1958 wrote:

Often problems between Society leadership and those under it would be brought into the dining hall. President Knorr used his position at the head of the table (with microphone) to castigate those with whom he was having differences. One such conflict was between President Knorr and Colin Quackenbush, who was the current editor of AWAKE! The outcome of this conflict was a number of tirades in the dining hall and the eventual ouster of Colin from his position. He was also removed from the Bethel speakers staff, and given hard manual labor in the factory. (New Light Ministries, Number 41, 1999 September)

• james_woods
    james_woods

Terry, we have talked about this before - but the experience of watching old Covington mess up the selective service defense of two of our friends left me with absolutely zero respect for this man.

In real life, he was indeed a pompous old drunken fool by that time.

It would be fascinating to know if all this palace intrigue still operates in the present day governing body.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit