Why am I so special?

by Wayward Son 18 Replies latest jw friends

• aquagirl
    aquagirl

Wayward son..Same here.im the only one that got out and I knw exactly what you are saying..Good question,open to lots of interpertations..

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

We are designed to survive first and foremost. Many JW's who don't believe stay in as a survival strategy.

If you can convince yourself that you will be ok, those who want to leave will. If you don't believe that, you won't.

As far as "seeing" the real truth about da troof, life has taught me that we are all different. Some of it is personality and a willingness to believe or not believe. A willingness to make up your own mind about the evidence, or having your mind made up for you.

The real key is simple; whether forced out or leaving of your own accord, there is a subset of people who don't take everyone's word for it, who is not afraid to consider the evidence for themselves, that are most likely to leave.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Some people like Kool-Aid, some people don't.

And I guess there are some Kool-Aid lovers that believe that non-Kool-Aid drinkers should be smashed in the head by falling rocks.

• Wayward Son
    Wayward Son

All your answers seem to mix well and have been helpful. Uhm, except for you, Barry. I hope you're wrong. LOL

I think I relate most with what Lozhasleft said: it seems that cults capitalize on individuals/couples who have a particular 'need' to belong?identify? I learned pretty early in life to be a bit of a loner and that it does no good to beat myself up trying to measure myself against others.

AllTimeJeff: Many JW's who don't believe stay in as a survival strategy. I think maybe a security blanket affect also. I feel the lure of that security blanket, just the comfort of what's familiar tugging at me. I miss people. I miss my family.

Thanks for your all your contributions.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I don't buy the claim that intelligence plays no part in entering and exiting cults. It's just obviously not the only factor.

• riseown
    riseown

the song is nice.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

One of my children, who never took to the religion, says it is because he "never had the God gene", he thinks he would have struggled to accept any religion that he was born in to, not just JW's. Even the concept of god did not work for him, he said from an early age "Its all made up by men"

Could he be right ? some are more genetically predisposed to accept Bulls**T ? His sibling only rejected the religion, and all others, once he went to Uni and was taught critical thinking skills.

• scotoma
    scotoma

Inherited temperament. Same reason why some kids born to alcoholic parents become alcoholics while another child in the same environment avoids that pitfall.

If you are high on the psychological trait called "openness to experience" (google it) you will eventually question everything. If you are low on that trait you probably will be afraid of the discomfort of change. This quality is mildly correlated with intelligence. In fact if you are too intelligent you may dig a deep intellectual hole of "belief" and become a fanatic.

This is why it's silly to condemn people for their choices. Contrary to religous teaching our choices really aren't "free". Our inheirted disposition trumps most environmental effects.

That's why its so important to "know thyself".

• Sulla
    Sulla

It seems to me that the question is whether it is possible to be educated (about the things relevant to this decision) and honest and still be a JW.

I think that might be a sufficient question. I have not found any JW who both knows what he is talking about and is not a liar. Why would they be lying? A hundred reasons: they're invested, they have fmily, whatever. Sometimes they are lying to themselves, as well. But they are always lying: telling a thing they know to be untrue with the intent to deceive.

Or else they are stupid.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit