Why am I so special?

by Wayward Son 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Wayward Son
    Wayward Son

If we are to accept that intelligence plays no part in wether or not we become duped into a cult, then the same rule must apply to those who wake up and make an exit.

So why am I so special? I had basically the same experiences as my family and I am the only one out. I don't claim to be some towering intelect, but even if I were it shouldn't matter. Right?

Is it all just time and unforeseen circumstance?

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Oooo now there's a bunch of questions! Off the cuff....although I hate to admit it, it seems that cults capitalize on individuals/couples who have a particular 'need' to belong?identify?make sense of the world? search for truth?

In that case the parents of a family find their way into the cult...but for the offspring of those original members come from an entirely different place mentally and hence do not necessarily have the same 'needs' which allows for them to develop cognitive dissonance....

Personally...I felt for a long time that the KH was damaging my spirituality and my relationship with my god...I believe I was right. Whatever.... the WTBS operation with all its hypocrisy and legalism is so far from Christian teachings that it becomes unpalatable.

You have to remove the blinkers to see that though, and that's the tricky bit.

Loz x

• cantleave
    cantleave

Read "Combatting Cult Mind Control" and "REleasing the Bonds" by Steven Hassan. He talks about the psychology of joining and exiting cults.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Hi Wayward Son! BTW, this is one of my all time fave songs by Kansas. But back to your questions.

In my opinion, you have to be willing to be 100% honest with yourself to see real truth. You must be open to accepting facts, especially when they contradict your belief. This leads to research, education, understanding, and realization. So far, your family is unwilling to do this. You, on the other hand, were willing. I think that is the fundamental difference.

I think it is all about each individual's make-up, how they are educated, the environment they are raised in, their life experiences, what they are looking for, and what strikes them at a particular time about truth versus contradiction. When you read this site you realize that there are a myriad of different times, topics, and experiences that have awakened each of us. Some of us have had similar stories; others have had different ones. Seems our conclusions are similar but also differ. But I believe the fundamental ingredient is the willingness to be honest with ourselves despite what others are telling us.

Oh... and I couldn't resist adding this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw6_VXPwm6U&feature=related

• Wayward Son
    Wayward Son

KANSAS!

Nuff said.

• barry
    barry

I don't know if it's true but I have heard that intelligent people are much more prone to brainwashing and so they are more likely to be influenced by a cult. You cant be brainwashed if you don't have a brain.

Barry

• Miles3
    Miles3

First, intelligence varies in the same familly, whether due to genetical or environmental causes. But our own bodies also play a great role, people with a stonger natural resistance to fatigue and sickness may have an easier time being confident in themselves - and a minimal level of confidence is important when getting out from the borg. Chemical or hormonal balances will mean someone will be more or less swayed by either logic or sentimental pressures - when your body rewards you by producing a contented/happy/at peace feeling when you're doing something, you'll be inclined to keep at it, even if that activity is objectively harmfull - like being easily swayed by the group's opinion. You will even start to justify it, and consider things as "logical" and "true" because of what they make you feel, instead of their inherent value. I'm no psy, but I don't think you need to be one to recognise that each familly sees different personnality types among their kids.

Then even in the same familly our experiences are different. You didn't have the same classmates as your brothers and sisters, and even your parents didn't raise any of you siblings the same as the others - parents learn with the eldest some things don't work, and adjust them for the other ones. Or parents get older and have less energy giving a consistent education, or they have more kids thus less time to give to their kids at a time where one is a teenager and the other still a preteen - thus inpacting each kid in a different manner.

• DonutZ!
    DonutZ!

That song is amazing

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

This is an interesting article on beliefs.

Why Bad Beliefs Done Die:
    Because beliefs are designed to enhance our ability to survive, they are biologically designed to be strongly resistant to change. To change beliefs, skeptics must address the brain's "survival" issues of meanings and implications in addition to discussing their data.

http://www.csicop.org/si/show/why_bad_beliefs_dont_die/

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Great link

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit