My really long introduction...

by Madge 39 Replies latest jw friends

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV

Dearest Madge,

I read your story above with a horrified fascination. I am truly grieved over what you've suffered through with this fella and his JW ilk. I think that I can be fairly certain that you've heard the old saying about "leading a horse to water". A person simply cannot accept certain truths in life until they are emotionally ready to... and some folks simply never can. I'd strongly suggest that you cut this guy out of you and your daughter's lives until he finally makes up his mind to leave the JWs for good and never return. As long as your former Beau and others like him sit on the fence, there will remain a mental landmine that could get triggered and go off almost any day when you least expect it and send them running back to their former JW associates and all the horrors that come with it. In short: CUT YOUR LOSSES. We, here, have witnessed the failure of many marriages and relationships with these kinds of fence sitters over the years and they seem to rarely (if ever) end up in "happily ever after". You are wise to protect yourself and your baby from this toxic venom that the WTS promulgates and promotes through their JW worker bees. Take care...

V665V665

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

Hi Madge and welcome

I can understand both of your actions.

I was that guy at the bar, although i had already left the jws and my wife physically, i was very much mentally held back. I held some sort of allure for the ladies that took the time to talk with me. It was not uncommen for me to sleep with them but strictly no sex at all. I am sure they were mighty puzzled as they lay in bed naked and a guy wont barely touch them. Adultery was a step i just could not do.

I did give into one, but it took a year before i was prepared to take that step with her. Dating was a mixed bag as i tried to come to terms with what were so called 'worldly' women, and they tried to figure out this enigma of a guy! It took 3 major relationships for me to become 'normal'.

The JWS can really mess up people. I have been fighting to get my kids out for 12 years.

Keep that daughter way from them. They are the embodiment of evil. Dont hold onto the guy for too long...you and your daughter need a life too, he may be the father of your child but that doesn't give him the right to jerk you around and use you every time he has a freakout.

Oz

• Fernando
    Fernando

Welcome Madge. Sorry about the heartache. Hopefully you can make the most of being able to see the Watchtower for what it really is.

• nugget
    nugget

Welcome to the board. I feel so sorry for your both and I am glad you have your priorities straight. Your boyfriend is trapped in a cult and his thinking and behaviours will be moulded by his cult experience. All the time he feels any loyalty to them the relationship will be painful and difficult. What happened with his mother shows that this is not a benign religion.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Welcome. Your's is a heart rending story, and demonstrates how this cult destroys families and relationships. You daughter is your number priority and need protection from this disgusting religion.

• tornapart
    tornapart

Madge, you sound like a wonderful, caring young woman and he would be a fool to choose his religion over you. I would definitely get him to read Crises of Conscience by Ray Franz. If you can buy it for him and ask him to read it. Believe me for any JW who has a few doubts this is like opening Pandora's Box.. or like Dorothy discovering the Wizard of Oz is just a little old man. I had a few doubts but never believed this book would make much difference.. oh boy! Was I wrong! If he doesn't have a major mind overhaul after reading this then he is too stuck fast and irremovable. If he says he doesn't want to read it say that the brother in the book used to be a member of the Governing Body for 10 years and tells you everything that goes on behind closed doors. It will peak his curiosity. Then tell him the brother although he was disfellowshipped that it wasn't for anything wrong (including 'apostasy'). He was disfellowshipped on a technicality (eating a meal with someone who had disasocciated himself from the religion). This might make him more comfortable about reading it. Once he has you can guage the effect it has had on him, most JWs who read this book are seriously affected by it. Hope it works!!

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Welcome! Wow, you should write a book or a movie screen play!

• finally awake
    finally awake

Welcome! Whatever you do, don't let them get their hooks into your kid.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Welcome, and Congrats! on a new baby girl.

Crisis of Conscience (by Ray Franz) has been recommended. YOU should read it, but suggesting it to (no name? Virge will do) if he is not ready to read "apostate" material will mark you are a tool of the Devil. Mentioning that you read THIS website (and other "anti-JW" apostate sites) will do the same.

You aren't clear about what you'd like to do with this relationship. Clearly, you still seem "struck" and now you have his daughter, on top of it all, so he will likely be part of your life (at least every-other-weekend) for 18-20 years. It would be best that you understand the "rules" of the JWs, and their emotionally F--ed up way of thinking so you can move on WITH this or FROM this making decisions from the knowledge and wisdom you can gain, vs. being constantly blindsided by their quirks and lop-sided logic.

First thing, (it appears you and Virge have not married.....) thus, he will be encouraged to drop any romantic interest in you. He will be forced to break off everything from you (except legal visitation rights -- and by the way, you should have already gotten busy on getting court ordered child support) if he desires to get reinstated, which does seem to be his goal at this time. The elders who meet with Virge will point to YOU as the "bad association" that led him into this "gross sinning" against God. They will read to him the story of Jacob's daughter, Dinah (Genesis 33 & 34) and the scripture saying "flee from fornication". (That's YOU.)

If Virge gets reinstated, he will face more-or-less the same pressure to avoid you (and only visit his daughter) based on the fact that "dating" an unbeliever is an offense that will result in the member of the Cong being "marked", as they are allowed to "marry only in the Lord". If he still has heart-strings for you, he will hope to draw you to the Kingdom Hall and get you converted so he can marry according to this rule. Even during the period of your studying and conversion, he will be advised to avoid you.

He could rebel and run out and marry you right now while he's disfellowshipped and plead that he thought he was "doing the right thing", beg for forgiveness from the elders for doing so, and hope to get reinstated with him already married to you. It will take a little longer since he "relapsed" back into the relationship with the Worldly Woman during his period of requesting reinstatement. But, they CANNOT suggest he divorce you at any point, unless you are unfaithful.

If you marry, it seems doubtful that you will ever become a JW, thus you will have this schism in your relationship forever. . . . unless YOU get HIM OUT. I have no in depth experience in that and you should read and listen to all on here. There are good and bad examples. But, all of them will agree that you CANNOT get a JW out of the "bOrg" by arguing doctrine with them. If you take the position of an "opposer", he will only see you as an "opposer" -- to him and to more so, to GOD. As much as he may love you and your daughter, he will always see the one side of you that is "the tool of Satan" seeking to destroy his faith in God and His religion. As far as your daughter, he will, of course, be hoping to "raise her in The Truth (TM) ". He will consider himself the "head of his household" and expect you to be "in subjection" to him and his decisions. (In real JW life it doesn't usually play out as bad as it sounds. Pussy is a powerful thing and most JW men value it more than being King of their Castle. A smart JW wife might even let them THINK they are.) If you do marry, Virge will likely be a faithful husband and father (you have described him as a good man in every way), but you will likely always have the divisive religion issue like an elephant in the room. I do know of several "divided" households that have drawn successful "rules of engagement" on the issue, and appear to have a "normal" life together otherwise. I know of more unsuccessful ones.

If you do not marry, hopefully you can go on with your life and find happiness. Virge will likely always be there in the background (at least every-other-weekend), with his influence on your daughter (which is his right), and hopefully with his checkbook to help in her support (which is his legal and moral obligation --does he have a decent job?). It will be the roller-coaster that all divorced parents find themselves living in dealing with their EX who is the father of their children. Hey! That's kinda the American way anymore. Remembering who "get this weekend" and the next holiday, etc etc

In either case, YOU will just have to be well-read on understanding and dealing with JW issues and their mind-think. You should be informed that IF he would go to court to attempt to gain custody of your daughter, the WTS publishes information for him to provide the attorney as to how to be successful with this in court. You can find a download of it here, I am sure.

In either case, read the Hassan books that have been recommended so that you can prepare yourself on dealing with how this man (and his entire group of associates) thinks. Read the Ray Franz books so you have a better understanding, but do not share them with him until he "is ready" to investigate the DARK SIDE. A JW sees these as POISON for their mind to destroy their faith!

Good luck. (Hope you understand the joke in that.)

DOC

• wallsofjericho
    wallsofjericho

Hi Madge and welcome!

I was glued to your experience, I cannot believe what you have endured to still now be dealing with the grip of the watchtower society.

As much as I would love to see you succeed in gaining your daughter's father, I find it difficult to imagine he will ever be stable enough to let go of his security blanket (the WTS)

especially condiering how his mother died, he will likely use that experience as a reason to "stick with the truth" - a very typical JW response to bereavement

He will likely feel the 'need' to protect his daugher from the 'world' and imagine himself in the new system with his mother meeting his daughter for the first time - do not think for a second that he has not deeply pondered this percieved reality.

If he has not mentally left the WTS after all he has seen so far, it is unlikely he ever will. Oh he won't be a special pioneer or anything like that, but he will beleive it's the 'truth' even if he is completely inactive. It is this chronic duality that will likely drive him into a life of depression.

This is the sad reality of what the WTS does to the psyche of the emotionally weak. You need to seriously talk to him about where he stands and if he will seek therapy and counseling. You need to make a decision for you and your daughter about what kind of future you want and need

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit