Possible Facebook blunder

by exwhyzee 12 Replies latest jw friends

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

So I made a couple of comments on my older brother's FB and I think I might have gone too far.

A little background. My Brother is a pretty popular guy... I am about a year younger than him and although we currently live on opposite coasts of the US., I know most of his JW friends. He has about 600 FB friends and is on his page daily making announcements on there as if he's Ashton Kutcher talking to his fans....or something. He also makes all these "encouraging" JW comments like " Great Assembly progam today guys...just what we needed !" and then all his friends "like" his comment or make simmilar comments of their own such as ."What a banquet Jehovah provided for us to feast on"

He has told me that he doesn't think JW's are the only truth and he doesn't believe the GB is correct on a lot of matters, yet he has no problem acting as if he's a full fledged believer. He is a fun guy and has a lot of friends and pretty much does and believes what he wants and finds a way to justify it all. He's been married 3 times and never was even so much as reproved. Each wife gets younger as he gets older. His current wife is another pretty young 27 year old and is 6 months younger than his only daughter. (Daughter not happy, Wife jealous of Daughter)

Anyway he had a milestone birthday this week as well as his wedding anniversary. He went on FB and talked to all his fans about how quickly time flies and how he manages to keep a youthful outlook and shared all this other corny wisdom with them. Many of his JW friends said "Happy Birthday....can't wait till we're a thousand years old and are still young etc." Then he'd reply with " That's right my brutha' we'll only be just beginning " yadda yadda. (since when is Happy Birthday an acceptable JW expression I wondered? )

All his friends are chiming in, one after another, about living forever and the new system being so near.

So I got on there and simply asked..." Hey....where's my Lion ???"

I checked back a few hour later he replied " Lion....what Lion Bro ?? "

I said. " Weren't we supposed to be perfect by now and have our own pet lion ...the Paradise Book said we'd all have our own pet lion....where's my Lion, we' ve been waiting our whole life for this Lion and we aint gettin' any younger? "

It's been days now and what was once a lively conversation has come to a screeching halt. There have been no further comments and I'm not sure if I should lay low or call him. Do you guys think I went too far and maybe embarrased my Brother? Maybe I was out of line butting into his conversation. I Hopefully he won't unfriend or unbrother me.

• GrandmaJones
  • Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

Anyway he had a milestone birthday this week as well as his wedding anniversary. He went on FB and talked to all his fans about how quickly time flies and how he manages to keep a youthful outlook

he no doubt is a believer in the famous George Burns quote..you are ''only as old as the woman you feel"...

You broke the chain of goo goo jw talk, and they took the ball away. IF he challenges you just say you were yanking his chain.

Oz

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Sounds like you killed the thread, pure and simple.

• Crisis of Conscience
  • exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

Thanks for the "helpful " input C. of C. and for the final nudge to stop being an ex JW here on JW.Net.

This is officially my last post or comment ....it's time to go.

• Ding
    Ding

I remember JWs thinking the end was soooo close in 1975 too.

We could go back to earlier dates where the same thing happened (1914, 1925).

Those earlier JWs couldn't have imagined the "old system of things" still hanging on in 2012.

But, as always, Armageddon is just around the corner.

Regarding your Fb message, I suppose you could always post, "Hey, just trying to be funny. Didn't mean to offend people. Sorry."

Or if you WERE trying to offend them, just let it ride and let the chips fall where they may.

Maybe what you wrote will get someone to think.

• Glander
    Glander

strange response, ex. are you jealous of your brother's popularity or are you still just a bit under the cult-think yourself? sounds like you are still a victim -

"... Hopefully he won't unfriend or unbrother me."

next time you stand up for yourself just a little bit, as you did in your FB post, don't panic over a little silent treatment unless your cajones are ready for it.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

I'd be interested to know if he finally replies to you, perhaps you can give him a call and ask him the same question?

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

I don't think you embarrassed your brother so much as you went to far in your criticism of the holy governing body. You can joke about changed teachings so long as it is light hearted and you come across as.....bottom line....thankful for "progressive knowledge". But when anyone gets the sense that you are truly irritated with the cult leaders........you've crossed the line. Everyone is now suspiscious of your apostate like comment.

Remember....they would never admit to it....but the GB are GOD-LIKE to JWs. GODS DONT LIKE SARCASM.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit