I think a lot of older (maybe younger ones) JW's are going to attempt/commit suicide....(READ)

by Joliette 37 Replies latest jw friends

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Steve2 - just google "Soul Train" along with Don Cornelius, popular African-American dance show that started in 1971

• d
    d

This is so true. As we are now into 2012 I see former jw's I used to know and they look so depressed. Many have a look of lost hopeless in their eyes.I suspect the older ones are going to be more prone to suicide becuase they would have invested more time into the Jw's.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I do remember that absolutely loneliest feelng in the world when I finally figured out that the WT doesn't give a damn about individual publishers. I remember feeling completely empty and alone. More so than the death of my parents and the break up of my 1st marraige. It took everything just to get up and live. The feeling that, this is it, was devastating. I'm a strong person and yet I felt helpless.

As time moves on, and this reality hits more publishers who don't buy the most recent generation changes, or other cult propoganda, I fear for those who aren't strong. I can't imagine learning the truth about the truth at age 75, after spending my life in servitude to a publishing firm

• ziddina
    ziddina

No Room For George, "photoshop" that picture and add a suit, tie, and briefcase to that man!!!

Joliette, thanks for starting this thread!!

Yes, I agree - I think we will see an increase in JW suicides in the future, especially among the older ones...

If I recall the suicide statistics correctly, the elderly are actually at GREAT risk for suicide, especially based on a lowered standard of living [like JWs without college degrees and living from hand-to-mouth at the edge of deep poverty], and failing health...

The damage that this cult has done to so many people is TERRIBLE!!!

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

There were JWS killing themselves back in the 1975 era, emotionally angst about that supposed impending doom time.

Much time has passed on since those days and you can expect there are certain JWS who will end their life in the future over depression

and anxiety. The supposed imminent Armageddon helped in the sales and proliferation of the WTS's literature and attracted attention from people

but there were unforeseen damaging consequences for the believing adherents to this established doctrine.

• journey-on
    journey-on

Years ago I told my JW friend to PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE plan for retirement. Don't count on armageddon coming soon and taking care of everything. Of course, she huffed and scoffed at my lack of faith, but, fortunately she must have listened because as she approaches retirement, she has secured herself financially.

I remember the era of the 1975 idiocy. I remember older (50's) JW couples selling off their homes and living off their savings to go into the full time preaching work. Back then I half-way admired their guts, but secretly wondered what they were going to do if armageddon didn't come. I faded away within the next few years. I don't know what happened to them. I shudder to think.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

yep and I was called an idiot for purchasing a business, (ironically from a brother), back in 1994 because the end has gotta be here in 5 years

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

One thing you can be confident of the WTS leaders have no worries to their own financial support for the immediate future,

they have millions to rest on until their demise. Fear mongering in the world of religious charlatanism has shown its due worth.

• steve2
    steve2

Thanks darth frosty and Shirley W - yes, I had heard of the "Soul Train" programme - but I don't think it ever screened in New Zealand. I read that he had recently divorced. Was he still an active JW? Was his ex-wife?

I have often wondered how the more "famous" people who become witnesses cope with the realization that they gave up their careers to become witnesses and are now seeing out their old age. The R&B piano player Huey Smith left the music industry in the late 1950s I think to go pioneering. A well known football player - whose name eludes me - from the United Kingdom quit the game in the later 1960s convinced the end was coming by the mid-1970s. Whate ever became of them?

• undercover
    undercover

Wait, what? Was Don Cornelius a JW? or had been one? I've never heard that...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit