The Real God: An Epiphany (YouTube)

by leavingwt 47 Replies latest jw friends

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Voices you are beating around the bush.

LWT answered your question and you are not satisfied or will not accept his answer.

This goes back to your 1st post where you stated:

There is a God and the false representation of him through religion has cast a great dark shadow that is hard to see through.

This is not just the religions its THE PEOPLE who claim to be god fearing and to transcend religion but they STILL have the judgemental attitude against those who dont share their belief.

In all the ways religous folk claim we are suppose to get to know god is subject to personal interpretation. If you claim the bible and said bible is used to destroy that argument the final reply is always some etheral aspect that just has to happen.

I'll repeat LWT question:

In your opinion, what method does God use to reach the people he intends to save?
  • just n from bethel
    just n from bethel

Atheists also react in frustration, anger, depression, etc, when they cannot get a theist to let go their faith.

This vague and general statement implies that this is the case with ALL athiests - or MOST athiests - or at the very least on an equal level with believers ... however - it's just not true. I've never seen one documented case of an athiest going into "depression" because theists can't let go of their faith. Even if such a case exists, how would it be representative of all or most athiests, or even a large number? It's simply not a true statement, at least in as much as it tries to categorize non-believers on an equal level of reactions as believers. Many believers in the supernatural get in the habit of not being able back up their statements with verifiable facts ... but the above statement is false (at least at any meaningful quantity - sure there's always outliers in any group, so anyone can play semantics). Whereas - It can be said that many sincere believers follow the 'sharing faith' pattern observed in the video.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Voices: I decide for myself what is right and what is wrong. I'm usually not 'made aware' of whether or not my actions are morally correct.

I want you to know that I'm not trying to argue. Rather, I would like to better understand your point of view. If this is not a conversation you'd like to have with an unbeliever, I can respect that.

• tec
    tec

This vague and general statement implies that this is the case with ALL athiests - or MOST athiests - or at the very least on an equal level with believers ... however - it's just not true.

It was just a repetition of the statement used against theists. I don't make general statements that imply all or most, of anything. My point was this:

So it would seem that someone rejecting something someone says is taken as a personal rejection by anyone.

I've never seen one documented case of an athiest going into "depression" because theists can't let go of their faith.

Well if the depression part of that statment bothers, then we can leave it out. However, I submit that the difference would be because some believers think that lack of faith spells doom for their loved ones, and atheists have no such fear. That has nothing to do with a believer feeling personally rejected.

Frustration and anger stand on their own though. Not for all atheists, and not for all theists. So you cannot make the statement that one is feeling that way because they're taking it personally, but not the other. So his theory fails, due to that.

Peace,

Tammy

• Voices
    Voices

I'm writing out a post, give me a second, i'm a home health nurse and have to attend to my patient periodically. but i'll post it as soon as I have it finished.

Me

• Voices
    Voices

augh! I spent the last hour and half writing out a response, and i pressed a key and the whole thing got ERASED ...i tried control z ...undo and it's not coming back. Give me sometime, i'll answer everyone. Be patient. I gotta finish up work now.

Me

• just n from bethel
    just n from bethel

It was just a repetition of the statement used against theists.

Well that's obvious - it's a nice way of saying "I know you are but what am I" - except it doesn't apply with unbelievers. Thiests, more specifically, those of the Christian nature, have a faith that compells them to "share" their faith with others. What they don't want to admit, like the video points out, is that its just a way of convincing themselves, that their unfounded and unproven ideas regarding the supernatural are real. So it is indeed something that applies to many believers, especially sincere Christians, but it certainly does not apply on any equal level to unbelievers.

I don't make general statements that imply all or most, of anything.

Sure you do. You just did. Nothing to be embarrassed about. Generalizations can be true. It just isn't in this example with non-believers.

• cofty
    cofty

The light, is in YOU. Not in your HEAD where the ego-god dwells, but the HEART, where love resides.

Why do believers so often confuse meatphor for reality?

• just n from bethel
    just n from bethel

However, I submit that the difference would be because some believers think that lack of faith spells doom for their loved ones, and atheists have no such fear.

Perhaps that's one of many reasons, in addition to ''sharing" just because it's part of a Christians belief system - whatever the ancillary reasons they may attach to their 'faith-based sharing'. Nonetheless, the point is - that it is quite different in how nonbelievers behave and react - thus making the statement above about athiests reacting similarly to believers incorrect.

So you cannot make the statement that one is feeling that way because they're taking it personally, but not the other.

Obviously this statement conflicts with the fact that you admit there is a difference to begin with - either there is or there is not. You admit there is in one statement and say there is not in another .. that makes no sense. It sounds like you're trying to convince not anyone reading, but yourself perhaps?

So his theory fails, due to that. - Nope - he's pretty much spot on

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Completely non sequitur arguments.

How is a woman being rejected by a guy she likes comparable to a theist getting angry at an atheist? Also, that could just as easily be turned around the other way.

I think it's a poor analogy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit