Military Spending; Corruption or Incompetance?

by Abaddon 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Enron was small beer; worry about the Pentagon!

http://www.cbsnews.com/now/story/0,1597,325985-412,00.shtml?

Just last week President Bush announced, "my 2003 budget calls for more than $48 billion in new defense spending."

More money for the Pentagon, CBS News Correspondent Vince Gonzales reports, while its own auditors admit the military cannot account for 25 percent of what it spends.

"According to some estimates we cannot track $2.3 trillion in transactions," Rumsfeld admitted.

$2.3 trillion — that's $8,000 for every man, woman and child in America. To understand how the Pentagon can lose track of trillions, consider the case of one military accountant who tried to find out what happened to a mere $300 million.

"We know it's gone. But we don't know what they spent it on," said Jim Minnery, Defense Finance and Accounting Service.

Minnery, a former Marine turned whistle-blower, is risking his job by speaking out for the first time about the millions he noticed were missing from one defense agency's balance sheets. Minnery tried to follow the money trail, even crisscrossing the country looking for records.

"The director looked at me and said 'Why do you care about this stuff?' It took me aback, you know? My supervisor asking me why I care about doing a good job," said Minnery.

He was reassigned and says officials then covered up the problem by just writing it off.

"They have to cover it up," he said. "That's where the corruption comes in. They have to cover up the fact that they can't do the job."

The Pentagon's Inspector General "partially substantiated" several of Minnery's allegations but could not prove officials tried "to manipulate the financial statements."

Twenty years ago, Department of Defense Analyst Franklin C. Spinney made headlines exposing what he calls the "accounting games." He's still there, and although he does not speak for the Pentagon, he believes the problem has gotten worse.

"Those numbers are pie in the sky. The books are cooked routinely year after year," he said.

Another critic of Pentagon waste, Retired Vice Admiral Jack Shanahan, commanded the Navy's 2nd Fleet the first time Donald Rumsfeld served as Defense Secretary, in 1976.

In his opinion, "With good financial oversight we could find $48 billion in loose change in that building, without having to hit the taxpayers."

Speaking of Enron...

In a strong sign that Arthur Andersen finally understands the extent of the trouble it has caused and is willing to do something about it, company executives today announced the firm has changed its name.
    http://www.satirewire.com/news/jan02/probitium.shtml

And today...

A delegation of American high school students today demanded the United States stop waging war in obscure nations such as Afghanistan, Kuwait, and Bosnia-Herzegovina, and instead attack places they've actually heard of, such as France, Australia, and Austria, unless, they said, those last two are the same country...
    http://www.satirewire.com/news/jan02/geography.shtml

Eh, what aboot this, eh?

Canadian television reported Friday that a Canadian warship in the Arabian Sea had seized a tanker suspected of smuggling oil from Iraq, leading many to suspect that the report was a hoax...
    http://www.satirewire.com/news/feb02/warship.shtml

It's a pity the one about massive accounting irregularity is actually the serious news item; $2.3 trillion (that's two point three thousand thousand million (that's the same as rebuilding Afghanistan 500,000 times over, or giving everyone in the world clean water supplies in their home several times over, or eradicating a disease (or six) of your choice, or putting men on Mars and two other planets of your choice probably).

People living in glass paradigms shouldn't throw stones...

• JanH
    JanH

The US government or the military doesn't want those money found. Military spending is industrial subsidies in the U.S., on a gigantic scale no other country could come away with. Since GATT and other international agreements prohibit govt subsidies of business and industry (with some exceptions) it's a neat idea to just call it "military spending." And it's also far nicer than "corruption" or "lining the fat cats' pockets with taxpayers' money", something voters might object to.

Politics is the art of keeping people's noses out of things that are their business.

- Jan
    --
    - "How do you write women so well?" - "I think of a man and I take away reason and accountability." (Jack Nicholson in "As Good as it Gets")

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Yup, but of course, to point this out is American bashing I guess!

Poor ickle Americans!

People living in glass paradigms shouldn't throw stones...

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

There is no excuse for fiscal mismanagement. However, just to point out the military is very narrow. HUD has been far worse in fiscal mismanagement (remember the Clinton area investigation into HUD?) percentage wise. But it has to work from the top down. Remember the Congress check writing debacle? California Senator Barbara “Bouncer”.............

When persons vote to make the federal government what it is today (fat and bloated with giveaways) and then not to expect waste is dreaming and is trying to have it both ways.

One area the Government is constitutionally responsible for, is defending our Nation, and even considering the human factor, we are now starting to do a great job.............

• borgfree
    borgfree

I believe the primary role of the US government is the defense of this country and it's citizens. Not the rebuilding of Afghanistan, or providing anything for the world.

I suspect a big part of the missing millions/billions goes into the secret projects, such as the stealth planes, those unmanned planes flying over Afghanistan, etc.

I am sure there is also much waste and mismanagement. The more money any agency has, the less they will worry about a few thousand dollars misplaced here or there.

Borgfree

"True patriotism doesn't exclude an understanding of the patriotism of others" Queen Elizabeth II
  • Mindchild
    Mindchild

Now you guys can see why many people who once really loved this country and what it once stood for are disgusted beyond words about what the political criminals did to make us both the laughing stock of the world and one of the most hated governments in history (based on population counts.)

The very examples of the corruption and mismanagement you point out are ubiquitous in American culture. It ranges all the way from business to religion and routinely we read of how crimes against humanity are committed. The really scary part about all of this though is how we collectively have come to accept this as business as usual. Scandals, corruption, conspiracies, and the like are normal now. They seldom cause any demonstrations any more. It is the old story of the frog being slowly boiled to death in the pot of water that is gradually being heated up. Pretty soon the frog is expending all its energy just to stay alive and doesn't have the strength to jump out of the water.

The anger, frustration, and dissappointment that many Americans feel towards the wrongs in our society have contributed towards this apathy or alternatively we have become blinded by the fires of emotional patriotism because of the attacks on our country. As the American government is moving more and more to restrict and control people (new national ID cards, more security, the police state) it will be too late soon to do mass protests to change the course of governmental action...as if there were any motivation to do so anyway. Personally, I think America is screwed and we are rapidly heading into another repeating cycle of history named "the Great Crisis" cycle in which very troubling times happen. Major wars, like the Civil War were born out of conditions like these. Stay tuned for more exciting stories to read when the shit hits the fan then.

Skipper

• Mr Ben
    Mr Ben

Dear Abaddon,

Thank you for your “research” into private military matters. The “missing” 2.3 trillion is, in fact, a matter easily explained, but unfortunately to disclose it would be a breach of national security, rendering our great nation helpless before marauding bands of international accountants.

Now, that fine young man, Borgfree, was right on the money when he said it must be for top secret projects that nobody has ever heard of, such as the stealth bomber, or the presidents brain.

You could learn a lot from Borgfree, Abaddon. Anyone would think you believed that how we spend the tax payers money was anybodies business anyway! What are you, anyway, some kind of God-damn Communist or what? Oh, and get your hair cut, you look like a girl, you God-damn hippie!

Yours,

General Ben.

Religion n.
    An organisation designed to promote atheism.

• Hmmm
    Hmmm

Abaddon,

Yup, but of course, to point this out is American bashing I guess!
    Poor ickle Americans!

What? Two hours goes by and nobody disagrees with you, so you decide to lob the first volley? Are you trying to pick a fight? Whatever happened to your statement that you only respond in kind? You've always struck me as one of the more level-headed posters here, but you seem to lose that and become rather emotionally invested with this subject for some reason.

Norm's thread finally settled down after a rocky start (with knee-jerk reactions and generalizations on both sides, IMO). Are you bored with that outcome, or just not satisfied with it?

Hmmm
    [Edited to add, "Uhhhh, besides that, I thought it was a good post"]

• JeffT
    JeffT

ALL government agencies have accounting issues. The biggest cause being the fact that they aren't actually accountable to anybody. The Washington State Auditor just released a scathing report about accounting practices here. Our state ferry system has for fourteen years in a row been unable to account for about $100 million of revenue each year.

If you think Enron or Pentagon waste is big, wait until some one mucks out the barn at the Bureau of Indian Affairs. The trust fund there has been mismanged for 150 years or so.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

JeffT: ""If you think Enron or Pentagon waste is big, wait until some one mucks out the barn at the Bureau of Indian Affairs.""

Thats a Big One bro!! Folks, you read it here first!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit