The latest change in Watchtower vocabulary to catch out the unwary

by slimboyfat 44 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    I remember when I was in my early 20's I just naively mentioned to a sister who was in her late 40's that the assembly in the summer was going to be on such and such date.

If she were a proper JW she would have warned you that you were ignoring the counsel given at James 4:13-15.

• bigmac
    bigmac

40 plus years back---door knocking was called different words----the "effort"---became "rendezvous for service" ( i kid you not!!)

earlier words--included --" the drive".

elders hadnt been invented--they were servants.

general pioneers--vacation pioneers.

• Deceived
    Deceived

Oh this thread brings back memories of my growing up a JW LOL. My parents were really into the "proper theocratic language". I remember one year they were onto the huge declaration by the Watchtower that saying dime or nickle etc was very wrong. You had to say 10 cents, 5 cents instead LOL. Oh the joy of being a Witness.

One year in the 1960's a family came to the Kingdom Hall for a meeting. They were passing through and said they had fallen on hard times and needed help with a place to stay and food. My Mom and Dad decided they wouldn't help them because they weren't true JW's because they didn't speak theocratic language or dress right. I was a young kid then and I thought it was just so mean of them. They thought in the way that they were very clever in finding out that these people were imposters

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

folded bit of paper =

Kingdom Ministry

Kingdom Service

then back to

Kingdom Ministry

• bigmac
    bigmac

yes --back in those days various theories were expounded on how to catch out any "imposter" visiting jw's-- like offering them black pudding to eat.

oh yeah--like the average dub keeps that stuff in the fridge for just such an opportunity

and--why on earth would anyone want to pretend to be a jw in the first place!!

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

All the terminology changes are so stupid! I do believe they change things just to easily pinpoint those who are not active JWs. I read somewhere that if you use the wrong words, that they can tell how long you have been not keeping up with "jah's chariot". I never even heard about alternative witnessing. I just called it street work or street witnessing. And I refuse to play their game of controlling my language by updating their terms. I remember a TMS overseer counseled his own wife pretty harshly from the platform about arranging to "meet at the rendevous" during her talk on the school. I was totally a believing JW at the time but I was still thinking, "damn!" awkward!

• Alligator Wisdom
    Alligator Wisdom

Circuit Overseer was called Circuit Servant back in the days.

In fact, one older brother still uses the term Circuit Servant and nobody has yet dared to correct him otherwise. This older brother is a Gilead graduate and of the annointed. Most of the congregation calls him "old school". He even identifies the Sunday Public Talks as sermons .

Alligator Wisdom (aka Brother NOT Exerting Vigorously)

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

Sermons!?!? Can't believe they let him get away with that! Stupid cult!

• lifestooshort
    lifestooshort

why dont we call new light new bs instead

• edmond dantes
    edmond dantes

Do they still say " out on the work " for going out door to door ?

If they asked me that now I would say that I had been out street walking and found it most uplifting.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit