The latest change in Watchtower vocabulary to catch out the unwary

by slimboyfat 44 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I got a copy of the recent Kingdom Ministry the other day and it reminded me of something in the book The Orwellian World of Jehovha's Witnesses by Heather and Garry Botting. It's on the front page of the December issue of the KM, they have a heading called "Not 'Alternative' Witnessing" where they explain that the term is no longer considered appropriate and "public" witnessing should be used instead.

In The Orwellian World of Jehovah's Witnesses the Bottings discuss the importance of the particular language JWs use to set themselves apart from other people. They redefine common words to give them a particular slant, such as "brother", "sister", "literature" and so on. Then they have their own special terms that only insiders understand: "great crowd", "faithful remnant", "field service". On top of that, changing the vocabulary from time to time also serves an important function as the Bottings explain, comparing the practice of constantly making small changes to the vocabulary with a passage from George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty Four:

The acceptability of a particular word or phrase may change from time to time, and good Witnesses stay on their toes. In fact, catching a fellow Witness using a verboten expression is a popular game - a form of social one-upmanship - not unlike the one that O'Brien plays with Winston Smith: "I noticed you had used two words which have become obsolete. But they have only become so very recently." (page 85)

Can't you just imagine a conversation like that the next time an unsuspecting Witness uses the now defunk phrase "alternative Witnessing"!

"Oh brother don't you know that term is not appropriate, it is not called alternative Witnessing because it should not be unusual. It is called public Witnessing!"

And the funny thing is, typically whoever makes such a correction seems to think they should personally take credit for making such a deduction about the old terminology, when in actual fact if it had not been changed in the literature they would still be using the old terminology himself. I know one brother who used to get positively angry with anyone who used the older expression "circuit convention" instead of "circuit assembly". In fact, even though I am not old enough to remember when "circuit convention" was used, I sometimes used the phrase by "accident" just to annoy this particular brother. And it did, it never failed! Get a grip you silly man!

Does anyone else use old terminology on purpose just to wind up other Witnesses?

Apart from that I find the article about not calling alternative Witnessing alternative Witnessing any more simply insulting. Is this really the most important thing the governing body could think to print in their 8-page monthy newsletter to their followers? Is this what they really mean by prividing the best so-called spiritual food in the world? People are undergoing all sorts of hardships and all sorts of problems the world over, and all they can think to write about is how ordinary Witnesses should alter their language to conform to the latest nit-picking they can come up with? It's pathetic. And I don't think they even realise how pathetic it is because no one tells them to their face how pathetic it is.

• JAFO
    JAFO

Is that the same thing as what we used to call "incidental witnessing" back when I was in?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Is that the same thing as what we used to call "incidental witnessing" back when I was in?

LOL I don't think so, not exactly. "Incidental witnessing" is now called "informal witnessing" and includes talking to school mates, work mates, family, people you meet on the bus, at the doctors and so on. (If I am sufficiently up to date on that terminology too) "Alternative witnessing" is now called "public witnessing" and refers to street witnessing and business territory. If I remember correctly they dropped the term "incidental witnessing" in similar circumstances to how they have now dropped "alternative witnessing": they argued that it should not be called "incidental" because it should happen all the time and it should be on purpose, and the word "incidental" seemed to them to imply the opposite. If that seems confusing, the point is that it is meant to be confusing!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

It's all the same. You get only a few categories--street work, door to door, long-distance (texting, phone, letters), and preaching to those you happen to be working with or around. And those all require the same basic message--street work (including what they call "incidental" or "informal" witlessing) is usually briefer than door to door, which is usually briefer than preaching around those you are working around.

When they alter terms, they make the illusion of new means of getting the message and thus new experiences. Of course, it is the same experience all the time. You are preaching the same message, as worn out as it is, with the same objective. You are not getting anything novel, because the whole religion was meant to waste your whole life doing the same crap all the time. Changing the names of the crap, or splitting various aspects into sub-aspects, does nothing to change this.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

This reminds me of when they were no longer supposed to say 'vindicate Jehovah's name', which was common wording in their publications through to the late 1980s, but was then replaced with 'sanctify Jehovah's name and vindicate his sovereignty'.

Their infatuation with semantics is fairly tedious, and yet they can't master the fairly plain meaning of the word 'generation'.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

The referrence to 1984 and language loading is most appropriate IMHO. Consider..............

• "Don't you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?... Has it ever occurred to your, Winston, that by the year 2050, at the very latest, not a single human being will be alive who could understand such a conversation as we are having now?... The whole climate of thought will be different. In fact, there will be no thought, as we understand it now. Orthodoxy means not thinking-not needing to think. Orthodoxy is unconsciousness."
    - George Orwell, 1984, Book 1, Chapter 5
  • Alfred
    Alfred

This is yet furtherconfirmation that Jehovah is lovingly enlightening his only channel of communication with progressive refinements. Recently, His holy spirit caused David Splane to toss and turn in bed for over a week until he decided to hold an emergency session to inform the other 6 members of the GB that Jehovah no longer approves the word "alternative" and that they must select a more appropriate word to keep in step with Jehovah's Theocratic organization.

Within a week, they were able to have meaningful and prayerful discussion about this topic until Anthony Morris eventually suggested the word "public". It went up for a vote but it didn't quite reach the required 2/3 majority because Sam Herd wanted to use "Spontaneous Witnessing" instead (and 2 other GB members agreed with him). But because David Splane was the one who Jehovah approached first, they decided to have one final prayerful discussion and the resolution was passed with an unanimous vote.

How blessed is God's people to have received this much needed spiritual food at the appropriate time.

• designs
    designs

Remember how Witnesses were judged as 'Theocratic'/ 'In the Truth' or not by how they kept up with new terms and phrases. What a trip that all was.

• life is to short
    life is to short

I remember when I was in my early 20's I just naively mentioned to a sister who was in her late 40's that the assembly in the summer was going to be on such and such date.

All of a sudden she came totally unhinged at me and told me I was not speaking as a Jehovah's Witnesses. There was anger in her voice for sure. I was totally taken back by her anger as I truly did not know what the heck I had said wrong. I must have looked confused because she explained to me that I had better get in line with the pure language. I still was so very, very confused and she sighed and told me that assembly's were the two day events held in the spring and fall that the convention was held in the summer.

I had been corrected before about not saying things right but never in such a shaming way as she did that time.

Then there was the time the DO went off at a assembly the one that is held in the spring or fall not to ever be confused with the convention that is held only in the summer. Well this poor brother had just given his talk and he called the Theocratic School book by the wrong name, it had changed names several times and the DO was very upset that no one was calling it by the right name. I was just blown away that from the stage the DO would go off like that.

It is so very stupid and just plain childishness.

LITS

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

LITS -

It is so very stupid and just plain childishness.

Sadly this is the level they operate at! SIMPLIFIED!!

• Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit