A letter arrived in the mail

by truthseeker 18 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

My wife received a letter in the mail from a JW she had known from school. We have seen this sister about twice in the last ten years; the last occasion was 4 years ago. She lives in another congregation a few miles away.

This sister heard that we had been "recently discouraged" - those were her words. It was a two page letter.

Page 1 was a "I've been where you are and I prayed and Jehovah answered my prayer." Page 2 invited us to return to the meetings.

We both became inactive over three years ago, and in the last two years we have not seen anyone from our own congregation. No one has called or asked us how we're doing. The elders seem to be leaving us alone. I can't understand why someone we don't know very well in another congregation reached out to us.

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

Odd. Maybe there's a new "outreach" going on where JW's are being encouraged to contact inactive ones... Seems like a few here have gotten letters, emails, phone calls, and texts over the last few days... It's like...a trend...

*Watches mailbox suspiciously*

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Oh crap---I hope it's not a trend. I've been enjoying my peace.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

Maybe they are doing some o'utreach', but the real reason being to oust those that don't return...of course the rank and file writing these letters think they are for more noble reasons i'm sure.

How long before they announce that 'inactive' ones past 12 months are ''no longer one of Jehovahs Witnesses''?...

Perhaps they will institute a new code...you know, D/F, D/A and ID/A

along with all that comes from that announcement

Oz

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

One more thing, the name and address on the envelope was typed, not handwritten, I don't know anyone who does this. I know some like to use preprinted return address labels. I almost threw the letter away thinking it was junk mail till I saw the name of the sender.

I wonder how this sister found out we were discouraged and what was said to her.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

I wouldn't worry about them DFing the fallen, we keep their numbers up in the annual report. The 7 million includes us faders. We want to keep our family, they want our stats... Until I reach my family intellectually it's a deal.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

truthseeker, maybe they all think the other guy is calling on you..

That's the excuse they used when my JW hubby was dying and no one was visiting him.

In reality they were remodeling the Assembly hall for the overseer that was coming to visit and had to hurry to finish..when questioned they gave the excuse of the other guy..

The assembly hall was less than 5 minutes away from us..

Snoozy

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Snoozy, that is SO SAD! ((((((((((((((Snoozy)))))))))))))))))

The real facts are that visiting you would have cost them "suck up" time.
    Plus hours spend at the ASS HALL were reportable as Field Service Time. (NOT so visiting an infirm cong member)

DOC

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Yea the latest appears that there is a trend to reach out to those who are inactive. My wife has flipped back to meetings semi recently and I wonder which family member is working on her

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Is she limited in some way for FS activity? If so then could be the elders in an area pool the inactive / "discouraged" ones and then select individuals to write them so as to count some time and feel useful again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit