Why the hell do I feel like this suddenly?!?!

by freshstart 28 Replies latest jw friends

• freshstart
    freshstart

Today I saw a friend that is still a hardcore JW. She knows we're not going to meetings, but seemed pretty cool with it and was willing to have lunch with me, so I thought why not? She mentioned something about the convention coming up in a couple of weeks, and all of the sudden I got SO nostalgic and felt like maybe I wanted to go. WTF?! We haven't been active for 2 years and it scares the hell out of me that I suddenly have a weakness to want to go to the convention? I know that Witnesses aren't "the only true religion" so why do I feel like this? I'm scaring myself!

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Have you read 'Combatting Cult Mind Control'?

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

We often look back on the past with a certain amount of sentimenatlity and gloss we over the unpleasant parts. It might be good for you to go....once you are there you will have your question answered pretty quickly. I went to a JW funeral recently and after three years it all seems so odd to me now. The part that was nice was seeing all the people I used to know. But that in itself does not make a religion true, but it is a good enough reason sometimes, to make people stick around until something better arrives.

• mankkeli
    mankkeli

leavingwt - Will you be willing to read my review on CoC?

• N.drew
    N.drew

Curiosity.

I don't think it's wrong to go to a meeting, if you can stomach it. I think I'm never going again, but I might change my mind. I hope not.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

I remember the conventions I went to a kid. Those are fond memories. It doesn't change my mind about how wrong the organization is as a whole.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

Nothing wrong with going back if it makes you happy. A lot of people within the org trying to do the right thing, even though blinded. You can go just for the association, if your among the few that had real friends in it. Or it could be since inactive you haven't been doing personal study or any kind of 'spiritual food' and your mind is desiring the closest thing you had to that even if much is inaccurate.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

I think cuz you care about your friend and are missing the good part. There are many good loving people in the org, wanting there company is natural. But I agree read Combating mind control, it helped me a lot get over the feeling of wanting to go back....

• Sapphy
    Sapphy

Nothing wrong with a bit of nostalgia! It wasnt all bad and it's perfectly normal to miss people.

• Bella15
    Bella15

You feel like that because you are human ... allow yourself to feel the emotions but be cautions when you act on them ...

You are looking at the past in idealized form ... just wake up before you go deep in la-la-land - unfortunately you cannot go back to a particular period of time in the past and experience the happy emotions that have triggered your current nostalgia ... it is an illusion ... that's why battered wives go back to their attackers - among other things, they remember when everything was okay, the happy moments, but sooner rather than later the monster wakes up again ... As long as the past exists there always be Nostalgia. My children are 14 and 13 now and you don't know how nostalgic I get when I remember them as babies I want to go there but then I think about changing their diapers and LOL! I am so glad that's over ...

Love ...

Ana

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit