newbie here!

by greven 28 Replies latest jw friends

• greven
    greven

hi everyboby!!
    I am a newbie in signing on for this board, however I have been surfing here quite often. I really like this place so I decided to sign-up. I will update my personal story in my profile shortly. anyway a smaal question I have now: on this board and sometimes the WTS itself refers to a scource as Ibid. does anyone know which publication this is?
    thanx,
    greven

"Fear is strange soil. Mainly it grows obedience like corn, which grows in rows and makes weeding easy. But sometimes it grows the potatoes of defiance, which flourish underground."
    -from "Small Gods" by Terry Pratchett-

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Welcome! I'm new here myself.

Ibid is the abbreviation for Ibidem, which means in the same place.
    It's used in references so as not to have to list the same specific source again. Hope that helps.

cb

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Hi Greven:

Welcome to the board.

Don't believe what Coffee said about Ibid. Ibid was in fact a Greek philosopher renowned for plagiarising everyone elses ideas. Coffee what are you thinking?

Expatibid

• think41self
    think41self

Hi Greven,

Welcome to the board . If you've been lurking a bit, then you know what to expect, so I don't have to give you the standard "newbie warning". Don't worry, it's not like hazing or anything. I'm looking forward to learning more about you.

P.S. Welcome Coffee Black. Same to you!

think41self

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself!

• Gopher
    Gopher

Hi Greven, look forward to seeing you out here!

"Ibid" is, in fact, the name of one of the earliest stock traders on Wall Street. "I bid this amount" or "that amount" were catch-phrases he made popular.

So when you see IBID in the publications, it is a reminder of the Society's vast stock holdings!!

J.R.Why shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense.
    Mark Twain (1835-1910)

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

Hi greven, welcome

Hi coffee_black, I don't think I said hello to you yet have I ? so welcome to you to.

Gopher. Is that for real?
    plmkrzy

• JanH
    JanH

Hi greven

Welcome to this forum.

There's been quite a few imaginative explanations of "ibid" offered in this thread. In fact, usage of the term can be traced to the early rennaissance, when an extremely prolific author named Ibideus Verbosus came to dominate bibliographies to the degree that other authors chose to use the affectional short form "ibid". Later "ibid" came to be used as a reference to any author referenced more than once in the same work. Also check "op. cit." after Optimus Citrus, an even earlier author of some repute.

PS: Your screen name means "the count" in Norwegian. Given your email address "mancer_necro", I wondered if it had any relation to a certain local burner of churches who likened to call himself "Count Grishnach" partially based on one of J R R Tolkien's less heroic characters.

- Jan
    --
    - "How do you write women so well?" - "I think of a man and I take away reason and accountability." (Jack Nicholson in "As Good as it Gets")

• larc
    larc

Ibid is a newspaper in Iowa. It's editor is Ananomous. His father Bill Anonomous founded the newspaper. Optimus Citrus started an orange grove in Norway. When his crop failed, he moved to Florida, where he was more successful.

• borgfree
    borgfree

Wow, have I learned a lot this morning. I always thought Ibid was the brother of Iris. Now if I could just find out what ditto means.

BTW, Hi Greven and Coffee.

Borgfree

"A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents, but rather because its opponents die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it." Max Planck
  • puzzled
    puzzled

DITTO is another word for IBID

plmkrzy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit