undeniable facts of history

by bobld 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

I always wondered why gory blood and guts horror flicks weren't more popular with JW's.... maybe they're closet fans.....

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

There are books the try to explain what was written, Paul Copand's "Is God a moral monster?" is a good one but the reality is that IF one takes the bible is literal, concrete and historical fact, that the God of the OT is someone that ordered or caused the deaths of MANY people.

Arguably these were all bad people ( according to what was written) and for some people that beleive God SHOULD do these things ( God punishing the Nazis for example since they were mentioned) IF God did what was attributed to Him in the OT they shouldn't have any problem with that.

Myself I do NOT agree.

What I see when I read these accounts are an ancient people trying to justifiy what they did as "God ordained it to be so".

Which is very common of course:

Tribe A fights Tribe B and both pay tribute to their respective Gods, whichever tribe wins believes that they have pleased God ( since they won) and the losing tribe believes they have displeased God ( since they lost) and that God is punsihing them for their wickedness.

I also think that there is MORE to it than just that of course, If we look at the accounts of when God decided to "intervene" or the accounts where God gave the Hebrews "sanction" to fight we see that it wasn't soemthing that came about "out of the blue" or "randomly" there were reasons to what was done ( of course how valid those reasons are is up to each person to decide for themselves).

In short I am of two minds about those things.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit