What was the last meeting you ever went to?

by lilbluekitty 69 Replies latest jw experiences

• iCeltic
    iCeltic

Last night? Wow, that surprises me. Nearly 12 years for me.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

I learned a lot of great stuff, like 10 different ways to give money to the society.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Hang in there, boc. Hope you get to fade or leave soon and on your own terms.

I don't have the date memorized but it was early March 2010 on a Sunday. I just walked out during the middle song and never went back.

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

I learned a lot of great stuff, like 10 different ways to give money to the society.

Now that is funny. Doubled over laughing here.

• wobble
    wobble

I think it was 23rd March 2008 for me, it was the night of the first TMS/SM after the memorial that year. A Tuesday.

I just stood outside the KH just after the "Amen" was said, and I thought, I am never, I can never, going back there again.

It was strange, I had been born in 58 years earlier, so it felt weird to say to myself that I was leaving the only world I had known, and maybe leaving all my family behind in that world. I felt free immediately though, I had made the decision, on my own totally, even my wife knew nothing of this, and a new life awaited.

There was a feeling of sadness too, I had grown up with the people in that Hall, I had seen them married, seen their children born and seen them grow, most were lovely people in so many ways.

I had no choice though, I could no longer be a part of it, even in a small way, now I knew TTATT.

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

Last regular meeting for me was May of 2006. I attended 2 memorials after that, out of respect for Jesus Christ. As I learned more about the Watchtower I could no longer even attend their memorial, since I had become thoroughly convinced the WTS in no way represents Jesus Christ.

• blondie
    blondie

It was a circuit assembly where the metaphors were offensive. I didn't even go back the 2nd day.

• Twitch
    Twitch

The last time I was at a meeting was when I was 22, now 21 years ago.

I had been "fading" for a few years prior to that

• charlie brown jr.
    charlie brown jr.

Can't remember my last meeting...............

remember my last Dis. Assembly.....

the Force was telling me it would be the last one.........

I felt a disturbance......4 months later ....I was a SITH!

• ReallyTrulyAthena
    ReallyTrulyAthena

@ lilbluekitty -

I stopped going because of how I was treated and a couple months later signed up on this website which was the first of many "apostate" sites that really opened my eyes. I read CoC too. And I "ain't" going back!

First, please accept my belated "welcome!" to the board. I admire you for wearing a pantsuit to the KH...rock on! Sorry to hear how you were treated (it sure is "eye-opening" when you really see what their version of "love" is in practice...yeah, 'cause nothing makes me want to stick around and hang out with folks that give me the evil eye ), but am glad you are here I celebrate your steps into freedom!

What was your last meeting, how were you treated, and what was your reason for it being your last?

Let's see - my last meeting was sometime in '01. Went to visit my JW father. Mind you, I'd been DFd for almost 10 years by that point (and had long stopped trying to go back as I was "discouraged" by their "encouragement" via their barbaric practice of shunning...oh wait..."TOUGH LOVE"). Yet, I still "wondered/worried" if They Were Right (before I really learned the TTATT, both through this wonderful forum and Freeminds). So, I went along to go along, to see what was up and also to please my folks.

It was a Sunday meeting and overall - pretty "meh"...same old dreariness, same old talks, same old song and dance (well, no dancin', but you know what I mean) It was what happened after the meeting that did it. Unbeknownst to me, my dad invited one of the elders over to his house to visit and talk with me. This "Loving Shepherd" couldn't have been more obvious in how utterly detestable he found my presence. Oh, he was all fine words and flowery speech. But he sat as farrrrrr away from me on the couch as he could...almost on the edge of the couch, leaning forward, like he was ready to bolt (I really thought he was going to fall off the furniture, he was perched so precariously). What, was I THAT bad???? Was I so vile and base and low and horrible, that he couldn't even really look me in the eye? It was like he couldn't get out of my dad's house fast enough. A land speed record for shepherding calls was set that day, I think. His body language told me everything I needed to know (the whole "You can identify them by their fruit, that is, by the way they act" deal). Because I was in a fragile place at that time in my life, I'll admit to initially feeling devastated (yet AGAIN by them), so low, so worthless. But...it was the tipping point for me. I decided I would never go back to that kind of treatment. EVER. Shortly thereafter, I found and began lurking on this website....and learning what I have since then has been crucial about any "2nd thoughts" about going back to that cult. From there, my path was set...onwards to better emotional/mental health and inner peace.

Thank you for sharing your experience and initiating this thread! I look forward to reading more of your posts.

~ RTA

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit