Is there a Jehovah's Witness gestalt?

by Terry 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I believe there should be a civil agreement to not data dump here. A summary with a link would be fine.

• JeffT
    JeffT

I guess the most significant event in my life was discovering I was not living in the same world as everybody else!

In effect, the Watchtower had hijacked the world and left me with a fake one.

I lived inside the fake one for almost 20 years."

My experience exactly. As we were leaving after fifteen years in Watchtower land I felt like I was walking up from a bad dream, or coming out of shock. My perception of the world around me changed completely. I see this same sort of problem with you any number of people, organizations and ways of thinking. You need to at least listen to other points of veiw once in while so you can compare it to the voices in your head.

• Terry
    Terry

I believe there should be a civil agreement to not data dump here. A summary with a link would be fine.

Right you are! I screwed up. I remember trying to post the world map with the epicenters on it and, instead, posted that endless list.

I apologize. By the time I went back to check my time limit for editing was expired.

• recapitated
    recapitated

I annihilated my JW gestalt back in the late 80's by taking LSD at death metal concerts. I got my money's worth but in restrospect I probably could have found a better way to do it.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

My biggest culture shock was talking to "worldly" people.

As a born-in I was taught that the "world" is a wicked place, people may seem nice, but inside they lack the moral compass of a witness.

After I got out, I was quite surprised to meet and interact with people that did acts of kindness, not because it was a good witness, or they might get mentioned from the platform, but because they were kind people.

• Terry
    Terry

Same here.

When I moved my entirely JW family to California from Texas it was non-JW religious people who showered us with concern and offers of furniture, refrigerator, car, etc out of love.

My JW wife had no problem accepting their kindness while simultaneously disapproving of the people.

I, on the other hand, saw it just the opposite.

The brothers and sisters in Kingdom Hall never offered anybody anything.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

The best example of gestalt is the Beatles. The music they made together is far better than music the individual Beatles made apart.

Terror sums up the Witnesses for me. Yes, the world is basically very nice. Much nicer than a KH crowd. Despite its bad spots, I adore the world. I am absolutely convinced that Jesus also adored the world and wanted us to have abundant life. Fear is no place to face abundance.

• Terry
    Terry

Worse than just a devil-owned-world.

JW's are very very cynical about everybody and everything.

The utter lack of personal charity is soul killing.

It is difficult, if not impossible, for them to say a nice word about anybody.

• designs
    designs

I had a great Gestalt moment close to my last year as a JW. I went to a relative's Orthodox Jewish funeral. As the Rabbi spoke the scales fell from my mind.

• N.drew
    N.drew

Scroll down the list fast. Did anyone? Very far out! Gee, I can't think of a good descriptive word about it. I might do it again!

The accompanying pictures did not come through though.

Good essay Terry. I think it is right on.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit