Evangelical Says Mormonism Is Not Cult; Open To Saying JWs Are

by Justitia Themis 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Mormonism seems cult like to me. Their beliefs strike me as further from mainstream Christianity than JWs. What Mormons have that Witnesses do not is affluence and a role in larger society. This is why I believe the word "cult" clouds the picture.

Also, I live on the East Coast. I don't think I have ever know a Mormon in regular life. My impression is that they are nuts. I wonder how men such as Romney and Huntsman can be Mormons.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Amusingly, if one reads some of the "exit" stories on the ex-Mormon websites, one will occasionally run across an ex-Mormon commenting about the Jehovah's Witnesses' beliefs - and then the ex-Mormon makes a comment to the effect of, "And the former Jehovah's Witnesses think that THEY were in a cult..."

Zid

• cofty
    cofty

These folks talk admiringly of the evangelical Billy Graham and the Catholic Mother Teresa

Why would anybody list this as a virtue?

Anybody who can bring themself to believe Mormon mumbo jumbo should not be trusted with the top job.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Note that I did not say earlier that they were NOT a cult - I just said that they seem to be making an attempt to become less cult-like.

Some of their fundamentalist Mormon splinter groups (Warren Jeffs, etc.) are as cultish as Jim Jones or David Koresh.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    Anybody who can bring themself to believe Mormon mumbo jumbo should not be trusted with the top job.

But that would likely be your argument towards anyone with a religious belief running for the Presidency, so it really isn't exclusive, is it?

• cofty
    cofty

But that would likely be your argument towards anyone with a religious belief running for the Presidency, so it really isn't exclusive, is it?

Sadly the god meme is still rampant so we have to be pragmatic.

Mormonism is one of the most stupid collections of belief ever invented, anybody who takes any of it seriously is suspect. Would you be happy to see a Scientologist as pres?

We had Tony Blair who was just sensible enough to keep god talk out of his public life until he left office.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit