Evangelical Says Mormonism Is Not Cult; Open To Saying JWs Are

by Justitia Themis 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/10/09/my-take-this-evangelical-says-mormonism-isnt-a-cult/?hpt=hp_t2

Editor’s note:Richard J. Mouw is President of Fuller Theological Seminary, an evangelical school in Pasadena, California.

By Richard J. Mouw, Special to CNN

Some prominent evangelical pastors have been telling their constituents not to support Mitt Romney’s bid for the presidential nomination. Because Romney is Mormon, they say, to cast a vote for him is to promote the cause of a cult.

I beg to differ.

For the past dozen years, I’ve been co-chairing, with Professor Robert Millet of Brigham Young University – the respected Mormon school - a behind-closed-doors dialogue between about a dozen evangelicals and an equal number of our Mormon counterparts.

We have talked for many hours about key theological issues: the authority of the Bible, the person and work of Christ, the Trinity, “continuing revelations” and the career of Joseph Smith, the 19th century founder of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church), better known as the Mormon Church.

We evangelicals and our Mormon counterparts disagree about some important theological questions. But we have also found that on some matters we are not as far apart as we thought we were.

I know cults. I have studied them and taught about them for a long time. It’s worth noting that people have wondered whether I belong to a cult, with a reporter once asking me: “Evangelicalism, is that like Scientology and Hare Krishna?”

Religious cults are very much us-versus-them. Their adherents are taught to think that they are the only ones who benefit from divine approval. They don’t like to engage in serious, respectful give-and-take dialogue with people with whom they disagree.

Nor do they promote the kind of scholarship that works alongside others in pursuing the truth. Jehovah’s Witnesses, for instance, haven’t established a university. They don’t sponsor a law school or offer graduate-level courses in world religions. The same goes for Christian Science. If you want to call those groups cults I will not argue with you.

But Brigham Young University is a world-class educational institution, with professors who’ve earned doctorates from some of the best universities in the world. Several of the top leaders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints have PhDs from Ivy League schools.

These folks talk admiringly of the evangelical Billy Graham and the Catholic Mother Teresa, and they enjoy reading the evangelical C.S. Lewis and Father Henri Nouwen, a Catholic. That is not the kind of thing you run into in anti-Christian cults.

So are Mormons Christians? For me, that’s a complicated question.

My Mormon friends and I disagree on enough subjects that I am not prepared to say that their theology falls within the scope of historic Christian teaching. But the important thing is that we continue to talk about these things, and with increasing candor and mutual openness to correction.

No one has shown any impulse to walk away from the table of dialogue. We do all of this with the blessing of many leaders from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, some of whom have become good friends.

While I am not prepared to reclassify Mormonism as possessing undeniably Christian theology, I do accept many of my Mormon friends as genuine followers of the Jesus whom I worship as the divine Savior.

I find Mormons to be more Christ-centered than they have been in the past. I recently showed a video to my evangelical Fuller Seminary students of Mormon Elder Jeffrey Holland, one of the Twelve Apostles who help lead the LDS church. The video captures Holland speaking to thousands of Mormons about Christ’s death on the cross.

Several of my students remarked that if they had not known that he was a Mormon leader they would have guessed that he was an evangelical preacher.

The current criticisms of Mitt Romney’s religious affiliation recall for many of us the challenges John Kennedy faced when he was campaigning for the presidency in 1960.

Some well-known Protestant preachers (including Norman Vincent Peale) warned against putting a Catholic in the White House. Kennedy’s famous speech to Houston pastors clarifying his religious beliefs as they related to his political leadership helped his cause quite a bit.

But the real changes in popular attitudes toward Catholicism happened more slowly, as Catholic Church leaders and scholars engaged in a new kind of dialogue with each other and representatives of other faith groups, most dramatically at the Second Vatican Council during the early years of the 1960s.

Cults do not engage in those kinds of self-examining conversations. If they do, they do not remain cults.

Those of us who have made the effort to engage Mormons in friendly and sustained give-and-take conversations have come to see them as good citizens whose life of faith often exhibits qualities that are worthy of the Christian label, even as we continue to engage in friendly arguments with them about crucial theological issues.

Mitt Romney deserves what every politician running for office deserves: a careful examination of his views on policy and his philosophy of government. But he does not deserve to be labeled a cultist.

• james_woods
    james_woods

While this guy's background and Mormon connections makes him obviously a non-Mormon Mormon apologist - still -

I think it might be fair to say that while the Mormons certainly started out as a cult in the 19th century, they have progressively tried to become less cult-like over the years.

They are strongly attempting now to promote themselves as a normal, mainstream, American religion. (see the other thread on their advertising)

Witnesses (sadly for their membership) seem to want to do just the opposite.

BTW - it has been my observation that many conservatives like myself who have not supported Mitt Romney are doing so because Mitt Romney is Mitt Romney; NOT because he is a Mormon.

I am currently behind Herman Cain.

• designs
    designs

If you thought Genesis was anti-science what do you make of the Lost Tribe rolling in a barrel over the ocean to get to the Promised Land...

One cult calling another cult not-a-cult isn't a very good recommendation...

• james_woods
    james_woods
    If you thought Genesis was anti-science what do you make of the Lost Tribe rolling in a barrel over the ocean to get to the Promised Land...

I believe I stated on another thread that the Mormons most certainly will have to tone down a lot of the pseudo-history, including the golden tablets from the angel Moroni and the magic crystal by which farmer Joseph Smith was able to "read" them -

If they really want to lose the vestiges of being cult-like.

At least they do seem to be trying to normalize themselves, unlike the JWs.

• designs
    designs

I wonder when Romney or Huntsman buy the Whitehouse how soon they will declare all of Native Americans real Jews....they got some splanin to do

• james_woods
    james_woods
    I wonder when Romney or Huntsman buy the Whitehouse how soon they will declare all of Native Americans real Jews....they got some splanin to do

I am looking forward to the addresses before the NAACP about the "curse of Cain".

• designs
    designs

Romney has already polished his speech on Mormonisms- 'I'm not an expert on Mormon Theology' really?

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

I think this issue is "muddying the waters" regarding the presidential race. Orthodox Christians view any religion that does not embrace the orthodoxy of Christianity (Trinity, Diety Of Christ, Soul, Hell) to be a cult. Their definition of cult is not so much an isolationist group under the influence of a single leader or leadership that is high control, but rather that it is not "Christian" under the definition of orthodoxy. Using that definition, Robert Jeffress, was correct regarding Mormonism in his "definition" of a cult (this would also apply to JW's, Christadelphians, etc.).

Ralph Reed (former head of the Christian Coalition), who has never been know as a liberal Christian, stated it rather clearly when addressing the issue..."we aren't electing a Senior Pastor or Pope, we are electing the President, a political leader", thus his Mormonism shouldn't be a consideration of his qualifications, but rather his political agenda should drive that decision among voters.

I have no doubt, that if given the choice between Obama and Romney during the election, the majority of Evangelicals would vote for Romney despite their disagreement with his religious affiliation.

• AuntBee
    AuntBee

I think part of the confusion is that the word "cult" is used in two ways. One is doctrinal/theological; the other is the coercive/mind-control aspect. Steven Hassan does classify Mormonism as a cult according to the second definition. I don't have time to figure out how to insert a link, but if you go to Freedomofmind.com, there is a great piece on the BITE model applied to Mormonism, especially the young Mormon missionaries. (or google BITE model mormon missionaries.)

I have seen the controlling aspect close up. Long story, but a young man our whole family spent a lot of time with ever since he was in diapers - has basically cut off our whole family since he became an "elder." (He posted that on his FB, made me cringe!) I never once spoke with him about anything concerning his family's religion.

One way i gauge whether a group is a cult, or at least cult-like, is asking - if you were born into it, can you leave it when you come of age, and still maintain warm and loving relationships with your family members? At least in the area where i live and the Mormons we know, no, they can't get out of it. Some have literally been kicked out of the house. A guy at my daughter's school lived with various friends who would take him during his last 2 years of high school, as he didn't want to be LDS.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

There is more than one definition for "cult."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit