What would the WT do if anti shunning laws were passed?

by Aussie Oz 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• screwface
    screwface

Hey... you cant take away all of their fun! Alot of jw's suffer from a superiority complex, and love to shun people, this might remove some of their sense of self righteousness! when i was attending some friends felt like they werent all that bad if the wasnt disfellowshipped, and enjoyed gossiping about the shunned person in the back of the hall, i should know i was dissed twice!

• sir82
    sir82

How on earth would you enforce an "anti shunning law"?

How would it even be written?

Why is there even a need for such a law, aside from a desire to make Jehovah's Witnesses stop an action that most of us find disagreeable?

Is shunning, or even the threat of shunning, an active concern for 99.9% of the earth's population?

IMHO, this is the very definition of a "moot point".

• Quendi
    Quendi

I have to strongly disagree with you, wobble, my friend, on application of the First Amendment to the American Constitution with respect to shunning. Here you are off base. The question has already been argued in American courts which have consistently found for the WTS. Comparing shunning to child abuse or polygamy, or some other blatantly illegal activity isn't relevant. The First Amendment states that Congress cannot make any laws with respect to the establishment of a religion. And when the issue has come before courts, they have ruled that since shunning does no physical harm to anyone, the religion is free to insist upon it. As we know, Jehovah's Witnesses aren't the only religion to practice this.

Does this mean I agree with shunning? Absolutely not. But I think American courts are right not to rule in favor of plaintiffs in these cases. As they have also consistently said, you know the rules when you join the religion. That is plainly stated in the baptismal vows each candidate makes before witnesses. So, if you agree to follow the rules, then you can't apply to the courts for redress unless you can demonstrate clear physical harm or danger.

As far as what happens in Australia on this matter, I doubt the WTS will then repeal the shunning edict if Australia decided that it is illegal. As has been stated, the WTS made shunning optional in Bulgaria, but underneath that velvet glove lies the iron fist of threatened sanctions against anyone who did not comply. So in effect the practice remains in place and will be enforced. I wish matters were otherwise.

Quendi

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Aussie Oz:

I think that even if such a law were passed, some JWs would not obey it. Besides, how could you even enforce such a law? Let's say an inactive or disfellowshipped brother complains and says that a certain JW won't say hello to him, the active JW could always say that he didn't "see" him. Also, some JW could always say that this law infringes on their RIGHT to ignore or not associate with somebody. WHO has the right to tell somebody that they HAVE to associate with or bother with somebody??? Nobody. This would be infringing on people's personal rights. The only exceptions to this would be if it were a minor child. Then a parent is obligated to "associate" or not shun them. Perhaps on a job if the shunner was impeding work progress or creating a hostile work environment it might be more enforceable.

A law like this would just clog the already clogged judicial system with more lawsuits which might be construed as simply frivolous, in my opinion.

• ziddina
    ziddina
    "Nonsense, the F.A assures USA citizens that they are safe in the "free exercise of their religion", now if my religion happens to demand that I commit polygamy or incest, will the law not touch me ? Can I claim exemption ? No.
    What if my religion demands that I discipline my child in some inhuman way, would that go unchallenged ? ..."

Excellent points, Wobble...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit