What would the WT do if anti shunning laws were passed?

by Aussie Oz 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

What would the WT do if say, a country or countries enacted a law that made shunnung illegal?

Punishable by time in prison or heavy fines?

Would they have the gall to 'obey god as ruler' rather than man, and actually continue the practice in defiance of the law even though they would incur the wrath of governments? Would they encourage the rank and file to shun and pay the penalty as a sign of loyalty to god?

Would they risk being declared an illegal organization in more democratic countries over the practice?

This i have no doubt is what would have been done in the days of Rutherford and Knorr. The old WT was more than willing to go into battle over their supposed rights and teachings, as were individual JWs, but as todays WT is run by lawyers, would they water down the doctrine and wording to fool the powers that be and continue the practice a little more cautiously?

oz

• Quendi
    Quendi

I think, Aussie Oz, it depends on the country. Such laws stand absolutely no chance of being passed in the United States where the First Amendment offers protection for the WTS and similar sects to practice this. It may be different in Australia.

Quendi

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

But, none the less, i wonder what if some sort of sanctions were made anywhere.

Would todays Watchtower have the balls to outright defy ceasar as they did in the past when they thought they were right in gods eyes?

oz

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

From its past reord I ould guess that the society would load the literatrash with weasal words and leave the rank and file twisting in the wind.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

One of the reasons i ask this is because if such a thing did happen, now or later, if the Watchtower follows whatever rulings and stopped shunning then it would stand as proof that the shunning rule was NOT from god and therefore not worth getting persecuted for (the same can be said of the blood issue)

However, IF shunning was from god himself then they would HAVE to disobey man and keep shunning would they not?

Any watering down of the shunning (or blood) to appease governments is a clear indicator that the rules are rules of men, not god.

oz

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

I wonder also whether the whole thing could still play out in the Watchtowers favour...

Any fallout or self caused 'persecution' will no doubt solidify the rank and file like nothing else. We know they thrive under adversity as a religion. Maybe the GB want persecution as a way of holding them all together? They obviously need something to stop the youth and disenchanted from leaving, what better than global persecution?

oz

• ekruks
    ekruks

The local JWs are excited by this 'persecution', as it proves they have the truth.... oh, and no other religions get oppositon

The Governing Body would have to firmly oppose ending the policy of shunning those who leave...... think of the mass exodus Few Jehovah's Witnesses that I know are very serious about the faith; blatantly most young ones and many older ones are there just for their family

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

They already agreed to end the shunning policy in Bulgaria. On the other end they never said you should be shunning (it doesn't state that anywhere) and EVERY teaching can be followed or not followed, as WT spokesmen often say "It's up to the individual what they decide to do".

The thing is we're free to do whatever we want however we must also "take the consequences of such actions" the local elders tell me which does involve shunning. So you are not obliged to shun anyone, that's for each person to decide but beware if you make the wrong decision, then we'll shun you but again, it's up to each person to decide whether or not they'll shun you personally!

• wobble
    wobble

You guys in Americee keep quoting the sacred First Amendment as though anything a religion does cannot be challenged in law.

Nonsense, the F.A assures USA citizens that they are safe in the "free exercise of their religion", now if my religion happens to demand that I commit polygamy or incest, will the law not touch me ? Can I claim exemption ? No.

What if my religion demands that I discipline my child in some inhuman way, would that go unchallenged ?

I believe that to remove the shunning practice by Law would not contradict the F.A in any way, the JW's would be free to worshiip in their own way, just not free to discilpline ex or present members as they had done.

The judicial and discipinary procedures of a group like the WT/JW's are not part of their worship, thouh they would claim they are I guess.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

How can you enforce a non-shunning policy?

Do you mean make it illegal to recommend it to your church members or make it a requirement of church members? You can't stop individuals from shunning people.

Would it be illegal to shun an old crazy ex-girlfriend?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit