"The organization has never disappointed us..."

by Franklin Massey 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Franklin Massey
    Franklin Massey

In the simplified English edition of the July 15th, 2011 Watchtower, in an article that warns JWs about apostate influences, the following quote is given as a reason to stick close to the Watchtower Organization:

"The organization has never disappointed us and always gives us an abundance of pure waters of truth from God's Word."

A scan of the page can be found here: http://www.jwfacts.com/images/watchtower-2011-jul-15-p12-apostates.jpg

What are the implications of a statement like this? Given the doctrinal changes and false predictions of the Watchtower Society, some level of disappointment is to be expected among the JWs. At the very least, many JWs fully expected Armageddon to have arrived by now, as they were instructed to believe by their leaders. But here, those very leaders who made promises they couldn't keep, tell their followers that the organization - not God, not Jesus, but a group of men - has NEVER disappointed them.

How are those who have been rightly disappointed going to feel about this statement? Likely, they will feel that the disappointment is all their fault (1975, anyone?). Why? Because the Governing Body says that no one has ever been disappointed. If God's chosen representatives say they have never done anything to disappoint, then it must be true...right? So the rank and file begin to doubt themselves. They feel guilty. That guilt gives the leaders of the Watchtower Society a powerful edge.

Sometimes I soften a bit and think, "These guys are just doing what they think is best. They don't mean any harm. They aren't intentionally manipulating their followers. They're just trying to keep them on the straight and narrow." Then I read an article like this one and realize the deplorable level of control and manipulation that is being exercised over the JWs.

I have been disappointed with this religion. I have every right to be disappointed. I refuse to be tricked into thinking that there has been no reason for me to ever be disappointed. How about you?

• Ding
    Ding

Pure water?

No disappointment?

1874? 1914? 1925? 1941? 1975?

• Adso
    Adso

I can think of quite a few victims of child molestation that are just a little disappointed by the organization. These guys really are deluded, pious twats.

• Terry
    Terry

If you repeat a lie often enough it is perceived as the truth.

How many things have your heard in your lifetime that you believed turned out to be false? Why did you believe them?

Usually, people you trusted repeated them to you.

I remember growing up thinking how humble my grandmother was. Then one day, when I was a teenager I heard my grandmother say, "I'm the

humblest person I know." And it suddenly struck me, "Can you be humble if you claim superiority in your humility?"

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

From the same article, previous paragraph - the substitution of the "organization" for Jesus is complete.

Do you remember how happy you were when you first learned these and other truths? Then do not allow the lies from false teachers to turn you against the organization that taught you these truths.—John 6:66-69.

66 Owing to this many of his disciples went off to the things behind and would no longer walk with him. 67 Therefore Jesus said to the twelve: “Y OU do not want to go also, do YOU ?” 68 Simon Peter answered him: “Lord, whom shall we go away to? You have sayings of everlasting life; 69 and we have believed and come to know that you are the Holy One of God.”

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

"The organization has never disappointed us."

Said the Organization that Disappointed Us..

Lets get WatchTarded Yeah!

http://images.inmagine.com/img/ojoimages/oj096/pe0064590.jpg

........................ ...OUTLAW

• clarity
    clarity

Hitler said,... the bigger the LIE, the more easily believed!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

No disappointment? What about sticking with their original prediction of 1874 as Armageddon? When that went bust, they changed the date repeatedly. People wasted whole lifetimes in a perennial emergency, expecting the end to come within the next couple of years at best. This happened in 1975--they preached people away from college in the late 1960s. Those people are now reaping the bitter harvest of poverty and stagnation. They might have pio-sneered during the early 1970s, only to see 1976 show up. Many sold out, went into debt, and are now struggling to pay off that debt.

Now, if they were doing something worthwhile that would have had a chance to better their lives, going into debt might have made sense. However, when all they were doing was perpetuating the hoax that the end was coming in a few years only to see the date get pushed back a few years at a time, they accomplished nothing. Soon, those who stay faithful are going to get old--and I mean 70s and up as "old" here. Once they get that old, it will be extremely difficult to impossible to gain back the chance of having a decent lifestyle. The end is always a few years off or less, but it never came while they wasted their whole lives chasing it. Many will have brought a few people into the cancer only to see them leave--or will not have brought anyone in despite wasting their whole lives trying. They will die without bringing even one tiny improvement in a product into the world, or bringing anything of value into a region where it was in short supply.

And now they are repeating the same "no college" rule. Just as in 1969, they are going to reap another generation of people that will waste their whole lives, thinking the end is a few months or years away. Again, they will go into debt or fail to sustain themselves. Too many will go on welfare so they can pio-sneer. And, they will die without creating even a tiny improvement in something or bringing a value into a part of the world where it's in short supply. A big fat waste.

• St George of England
    St George of England

When my parents became JW' in the 1940's they were told that little George would never have to go to school in this old system.

Little George started school however...in 1951

George (Old, disappointed and thoroughly p***ed off with the organisation)

• agonus
    agonus

Um, didn't either Russell or Rutherford themselves coin the phrase "The Great Disappointment" to refer to the letdown caused by unfulfilled expectations in 1914? Or was that William Miller with the Second Coming in 1844?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit