Interesting books to read

by watersprout 22 Replies latest jw friends

• watersprout
    watersprout

Thanks for all your replies... I'm going to be kept really busy with all these books to read!

I think to start I will buy a book a week.... Carrot is going to have to build me more shelves!

Peace

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

"American Gods" by Neil Gaiman.

"Mouthful of Rocks" by Christian Jennings

"The Wasp Factory" by Iain Banks

"The Beach" by Alex Garland. The film adaptation starring Leo DiCaprio was a disgrace, but the book is really good.

Anything by Cormac McCarthy

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I am pulling books out of the Young Adult pile at the local library. Recently, I reread Call of the Wild and the Old Man and the Sea. These books are timeless. It is sad that they are relegated to Young Adult sections. Nearing 60 and with a college education, I can read them at a much different level than when I was in junior high school and read vorociously any book necessary for a college education.

Death Be Not Proud is another stunning classic.. When I first read the exploits of Buck in Call of the Wild, I seriously thought it was about an Alaskan wilds dog. Now I laugh heartily. If a teacher did not tell me every little bit, it was above my head. So many times I read adult fiction and become annoyed. Some of it is so mediocre that I believe I could write it and get the income. The manipulation of English is so masterful in these books. They are very seductive.

These books are relatively short but there is a plot. They are not short stories.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit