Interesting books to read

by watersprout 22 Replies latest jw friends

• watersprout
    watersprout

I need all your book suggestions!

I'm planning on immersing myself in many books over the near future and need a list to work through.

Soooo what are your suggestions??

Peace

• Was New Boy
    Was New Boy

Change you life by reading Erhart Tolle's "The New Earth" or The power of Now"

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

Captains and the Kings or anything by Taylor Caldwell

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

Down and Out In Paris and London by George Orwell is a good book on bumming it.

The Almighty Black P Stone Nation by Natalie Moore and Lance Williams is a good read on the legendary Chicago gang and Jeff Fort aka Prince Malik. The goverment thought they were on par with Al Qaeda during the 60s-90s.

The Violent Empire of the Aryan Brotherhood by John Lee Brook is a good book on the legendary prison gang. While it didn't give as much insight into their organization as I would have liked, you'll still read about some crazy individuals with nicknames such as, The Baron, Lucifer, and Super Honky. Those boys were killers for real. I couldn't imagine stabbing a guy with a nine inch shiv and hearing it go so far through his chest and back that it touches the concrete underneath him.

Education of a Felon by Edward Bunker is a good read on the California prison system during the 60's and 70s. It gives you a better understanding of how the race wars developed behind bars. Especially fascinating is the recorded birth of the social aspects that ultimately gave birth to the powerful prison gangs in California which eventually spread out to the rest of the country.

• sizemik
    sizemik

WS . . . if you're interested in a good short story writer . . . try Nicole Kidman . . . anything of hers is worth a read. She's published some in volumes as well.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

'Origin of the Brunists' - Robert Coover

• AGuest
    AGuest

I only want recommend fiction, dear W'Sprout (the greatest of love and peace to you!). In that light:

Anything from Taylor Caldwell, John Grishom, Gary Jennings, M. M. Kaye, Tammy Kane, or Wilbur Smith... any period piece by Ken Follett... and "The Green Mile" by Stephen King.

Happy reading and, again, peace to you!

SA, on her own...

• flipper
    flipper

At the risk of sounding redundant and repetitious - I'll go ahead and sound redundant and repetitious !

Combatting Cult Mind Control by Steve Hassan

Releasing the bonds- Empowering People to Think for themselves by Steve Hassan

Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee Brown

Crisis of Conscience by Raymond Franz

In Search of Christian Freedom by Raymond Franz

Peace out, Mr, Flipper

• shamus100
    shamus100

Che Guevera, a Revolutionaries Life by Jon Lee Anderson. Fascinating read!

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

C.S. Lewis, the Chronicles of Narnia and his sci fi series.

The Life of Pi, excellent reading.

A Wrinkle in Time

The Poisonwood Bible

Iliad and Odyssey

Shakespeare's major histories, comdedies, and tragedies. King Lear, Hamlet, Othello, Merchant of Venice, A Midsummer's Night Dream, Romeo and Juliet, Twelfth Night. You need a heavily annotated copy to know what the heck they are talking about. Once it is translated, they are superb.

Dante, Inferno and Divine Comedy

Tom Sawyer

Huckleberry Finn

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow

Charles Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities, David Copperfield, and Bleak House,

The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series

Caldafel series. I forgot the titles and author. A series of stories about an interesting monk during the Middle Ages who once was a Crusader.

Mapp and Lucia. an older English series. Hilarious. Light reading but very good.

Jewel in the Crown.

Virginia Wolf

Dosteovesky, The Idiot, Brothers Karamasoz. The Grand Inquisitor part is very famous

The Last Temptation of Christ by Katzenzakis. This classic humanizes Jesus. One of my very favorite books.

Hemmingway, The Old Man and the Sea,

Fitzgerald, scott.

Tolstoy, Anna Karenina, and War and Peace. War and Peace will keep you busy for years.

Gone with the Wind.

Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot.

Sartre

Camus, the Stranger, the Plague.

C.S. Lewis, The screwtape Letters -Demons at work. Very well written and humorous.

Gore Vidal, Burr and 1876.

Parrot and Oliver in America

The Finkler Question

Pope Joan

The Kiterunner......

Beloved by Toni MOrrison. Very moving.

Alice Walker, The Color Purple.

Can't think of anymore off the top of my head. These are very eclectic. Some of them, such as Shakespeare and Tolstoy, are academic but superb anyway.

Oh, I also enjoy any Star Trek novel.

Auel, Clan of the Cave Bear

Zimmer, something about the Holy Grail. a woman's perspective

A Geisha's Story

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit