10/15/11 WT Has The Crackdown On Football Started?

by yourmomma 39 Replies latest watchtower bible

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

Thanks Blondie for the quote. They are trying to cover many sports from football to hockey. Now the elders can police the flock even more.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff
    Personally, I don't think its appropriate for Christians to watch or participate in football. It is a violent sport, and it fosters a violent, competative spirit in individuals which causes those same ones to seek out other like minded ones to paricipate in group sponsered violence. I believe that gang activity is a direct result of American football and hockey.

That is funny; you are kidding right?

• Quendi
    Quendi

When it comes to hockey, I recall Rodney Dangerfield's famous put-down: "I was at the fights the other night, and a hockey game broke out." When I shared that joke with my South African friends, they roared with laughter and then said, "In this country you would say a rugby match broke out."

Quendi

• wasblind
    wasblind

I found it to be very hypocritical in the cong I attented, for young children

to be told of the bad things school sports promote, and at the same time

the elders in the cong enjoyed watching the very same thing they discouraged

the youth from.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Blondie, thanks for posting that quote!!

"...What, though, if you are attracted to certain sports because of their aggressive competitiveness, excessive risk taking, high rates of injury, riotous celebrations, nationalistic fervor, or similar "ingredients"? ..."

Waitasec...

It sounds like they're talking about NASCAR!!!

• crapola
    crapola

Magwitch, I wish I could go with you. Have fun!

• Violia
    Violia

Back in the early to mid 70's several congos where I lived had football teams. I swear it is true, they got to the point that one congo was going to play the other. they had shut it down b/c too many injuries occurred and there were rumors of some folks suing. This was mostly the 18-25 yr old group but we had a few elders who also joined in.

I have known elders and other folks who stayed home when their team was playing of attended a different KH on that Sunday. Football was big here and still is. However, we don't have any congregation teams now.

• fresh prince of ohio
    fresh prince of ohio

A restriction that peeing can only be done on rainy days would get farther than an outright ban on football watching in my area of the world, where a significant portion of the populace, both JW and non, eats-sleeps-breathes football from August to February. Football truly is the opiate of the midwestern masses. You even have a lot of prominent bros forming or participating in fantasy football leagues. Or have they banned that now?

Anybody bro who took this counsel ™ seriously and got all puritannical about football watching would just be looked at as a douchey goody-goody to be avoided socially.

Dan, former puritannical-douchey-goody-goody-socially-avoided bro

• Violia
    Violia

Most to the things they have stopped jws from doing, gathering etc, were in some way related to being held legally responsible for anyone getting hurt or other things. So instead of just saying that, they demonize the dances, gathering and sports.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Pittsburgh. A drinking town with a football problem.

A football ban wouldn't mean much. They'd watch it anyway. Might not be open about it. But they would still watch it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit