10/15/11 WT Has The Crackdown On Football Started?

by yourmomma 39 Replies latest watchtower bible

• yourmomma
    yourmomma

I've always felt that its only a matter of time before the watchtower cracks down on football (american, although soccer seems like its also referenced). Its been one of the few things JW's can do, which means it has slipped under the radar since as we know, there are very few things that are not frowned upon or banned in watchtower world. We know that almost 99% of movies are wrong according to the standards of the watchower, and this is again mentioned in this article, but it seems like also football is in the cross hairs. It doesnt say football, but its pretty obvious what they are talking about. Here is the reference

10/15/11 Watchtower (Study) page 5 paragraph 8.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

can u post a link?

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

They threw Losch a bone, probably for a concession on some other issue.

• sir82
    sir82

Can someone post a quote?

They've made references to "violent sports" in print before, but I think most JWs take that to refer to boxing, karate, MMA, etc. It will be interesting to see how weaselly-worded teh current reference is.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

If the Wt deems it to be, Chess is a violent sport

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Until they start DF'ing people for it, it won't really matter.

Most of us realize that many elders watch R-rated movies, UFC fights and boxing.

It's a 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' policy and works pretty well.

• yourmomma
  • Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

that's the 1st time I looked at the "new" WT. It is writen for a five year old to understand? They sure do dumb down things... I loved the word definitions on the side! made me LOLFS

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

I wondered the same thing about the following quote from the book "Live With Jehovah's Day In Mind" released in 2006 ...

*** jd chap. 9 p. 121 par. 19 Dealing With Others as God Desires ***
    Though Habakkuk was forced to keep looking upon mere trouble and the "violence in front of" him, it grieved him. You might now ask, ‘Would he be comfortable sitting with me and looking at the programs I regularly watch on television?' Ask also, ‘Would he set aside time to be a spectator at so-called sports events that are violent by design, players even wearing protective armor like that of ancient gladiators?' With certain games, the thrill for many springs from fights on the court or the field or those between crazed fans. In some cultures, many watch violent films and videos centered on warfare or the martial arts. This may be excused as history or a display of the nation's cultural past, but does that make the violence more acceptable?-Proverbs 4:17.

... American football and possibly hockey were the only popular sports I could think of that they would be alluding to.

• minimus
    minimus

Hockey is more violent than football, for heaven's sake.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit