How did you fill the void after leaving?

by gutted 33 Replies latest jw friends

• mouthy
    mouthy

Read many books ,one being "Please Dont call me Brother" by Austin Miles
    wrote to him,saying I was going to write one called "You used to call me Sister"
    Sally Jessie Rhapeal( had a program on TV)Called me & asked if I would be on
    the program to speak about my leaving the WT.I live in Canada,but she in the U.S.A
    said they would pay for my flight,hotel,lift from the airport,meals.
    So who could refuse.. I went ,after it was aired,I received many letters from
    JWs.Who wanted to leave....I then set up a exJW support group,spoke in many,many
    churches,explaining to the "Christians"?That hiding behind their doors
    is not helping the cult follower to come free..
    I was then called by "SHIRLEY" another T.V program to be on her T.V show
    I gave her the name of Paul Blizzard ( an exJW)who she got,Many of the support
    group was in the audience,Great response.....So since 1990 it has been my lifes
    work. To help those who like me had my mindcuffed undo the cuffs.
    Dont think you have to work....but be available to any who are going into
    or out of a cult.MY GOD!!!! said "He died for me to live more abundently"
    So that is what I am trying to do...although I miss my JW daughter & grand
    daughter,who the WT says I am the devils tool...MOUTHY

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Gutted:

Everybody's posts are good and what works for one may not work for another.

When I started my "fade" I re-established connections with relatives and made a friend or two on the outside. I don't need a lot of friends so that is fine with me. I also have read many books over the past ten years. Part of the reason was to de-program my mind from all the garbage and nonsense teachings of the religion. On meeting nights, I watched CSI and it felt so good to be in my home comfortable instead of dragging myself to a meeting and getting home late, especially in the winter. To tell you the truth, I didn't feel much of a void after several months or so. For me, it was a mentally free feeling.

It isn't easy to fill the void right away but in time you will.

• cantleave
    cantleave

By living my life for me and my family!

• Quendi
    Quendi

What a wonderful thread! Thanks, Gutted, for starting it.

This is a complex question with no easy, snap answer, and I agree with those who say you have to work this out according to your individual needs and circumstances. I read a lot, especially with my new NOOK e-Reader which allows me to take a lot of books anywhere I go; watch DVDs through Netflix that I never had time for as a Witness; and am resuming my photography and creative writing. And as soon as I get settled in a place of my own, I want to resume my research in the mathematics of linear algebra. I have a degree in mathematics and that is still a burning interest of mine. I am also unemployed, so I have a lot of time on my hands. But that also means I am actively looking for work.

Living in Colorado is a huge advantage. This is one of the most beautiful places in the world, and there are so many different things to see, experiences to have, and so much nature in which to immerse oneself. I can see the peaks of Rocky Mountain National Park from my windows and go hiking there from time to time for refreshment. I'm reconnecting with various people and seeking new relationships as well. That doesn't mean I don't suffer bouts of loneliness and depression sometimes. I miss some of the Witness friends I had. I was extremely close to more than a few, so their absence in my life definitely hurts. But I have good spiritual discussions with a number of people. Some of them are here on JWN. I've met others through the Internet, and a few Witnesses still maintain contact with me despite my being disfellowshipped.

I wish everyone contributing to this thread every success in moving on with your life. Now that I have left the WTS, I try to remember the words of the British explorer Stanley Livingstone, "I am willing to move in any direction whatsoever as long as it is forward."

Quendi

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit