When you were a JW did you dance " provocatively" ?

by highdose 18 Replies latest jw friends

• ambersun
    ambersun

When I was a JW the only dances we were allowed to do were the waltz (and any other old time dances that we knew the steps to), the chicken dance and square dancing, at organised JW get togethers. I reckon I would have made myself a laughing stock if I had started dancing provocatively to any of those

• Lunatic Faith
    Lunatic Faith

We never had dances when I was growing up, not even at weddings. The first dance I went to was for somebody who had moved west from Wisconsin, and I was 20. I had no clue how to dance and no inclination to make a fool of myself. Even now, I prefer darkened clubs with thumping music and lots of alcohol.

Though this reminds me of a bible study I had when I was pioneering. It was a young 16 year old girl who had no father and only a spiritually weak mother. The girl asked me herself to study with her. She used to tell me how she was always criticized at witness dances for the provocative way she danced. I assumed it was some stodgy, old-school witnesses that hated to see anyone have a good time...until I saw her dance. She actually danced like a stripper! All she lacked was a pole. I asked her who taught her to dance that way and she said nobody, it was just her way of dancing. I didn't think anyone could dance like that without training. But I did understand why she might stand out in a JW get-together.

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

This thread just brought back a memory, from when I was in middle school, I think 7th grade to be exact. The one history class I had, the teacher had us doing dances like hoedowns and other folk dances. The teacher paired me with this girl named Tiffany. I kept trying to cop a feel while we were up close and personal. You know how the one dance, you're facing each other with one hand holding your partner's hand over the head, and the other hand is chest high. I kept moving my chest high hand towards her chest, trying to cop a feel. She kept moving my hand back like, "know you don't, ya perv!!!" Ohh those middle school memories.

I don't ever recall witnessing JWs dancing provocatively. Too many grownups around, chaperoning to ever allow dancing to get out of hand. The fact that there are WT articles on this subject tells me its happened more than a few times.

I never had any problems, if anything, I had remarks about my freedom of expression.

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

Never had to worry about it. The congregation I was in as a teenager was very very old. I was the youngest at 16, my parents in their 50's next youngest the rest were in their 70's-90's. At my wife and I wedding the JW 5 band played polka music. Many of the old ones left saying it was a sin to dance and play music. I think they were mad they were not young anymore. Totally ADD

• finallyfree!
    finallyfree!

lol!! ahhaha! i remember once at a "get together" i was slow dancing with a chicky and i got some "frontal rubbage", i was only 14 i remember and i pulled her in a bit closer and put both my hands right around her waist, i got a glare from one of the elder chaperones and that was the end of that.

all the occasions i went to they always gave a 5 minute lecture about how we should not bring reproach on jahs name, yada yada yada, that way everyone was warned.

• clearpoison
    clearpoison

Does dancing in goofy way in techno raves count?

CP

• RagingBull
    RagingBull

Yes, but not really with "baptized chicks"...they were usually judgmental of the other females...or were 'undercover freaks' that would want to hook up away from other witnesses so they could misbehave.

If they were built like Highdose...she didn't stand a chance. LOL

• scary21
    scary21

Back in the day....my sister tried to teach the JW's the bump ( we learned it from friends on the East side) This was before it became mainstream.

She was studying at the time, and thinking about trying to become a JW. She was born in, but had been running with the world (and me) for two years.

Well, the elders got wind of it and she got a good talking to. She was stumbled again, and gave up again.The version she was showing them was only

a very light tap, hip to hip. They should see her today....bumping, poping, and grinding! She's now fly like a G6

Sherry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit