College education pays

by hoser 12 Replies latest jw friends

• hoser
  • hoser
    hoser

This is what the Watchtower is really afraid of

Preparing students for careers is just one impotant part of what colleges do. For example, in a recent national survey conducted by the Pew research center, more than 90% of college graduates reported that college helped them grow intellectually and mature as individuals. College expands students horizons, exposes them to ideas and fields of study they might not encounter otherwise.

• talesin
    talesin

Hi, the highlighting pretty much hides the words in yr second post.

But, yes,,, it teaches critical thinking, which is the biggest danger for the WTBTS.

t

• hoser
    hoser

preparing students for careers is just one important part of what colleges do. For example, in a recent national survey conducted by the Pew Research Center, more than 90% of college graduates reported that college helped them grow intellectually and mature as individuals. College expands students' horizons, exposes them to ideas and fields of study they might not encounter otherwise

• JonathanH
    JonathanH

One of the last assemblies I went to had a part on college education. It was directed at parents, which I found partically disgusting as it was meant to take the choice away from teenagers and tell parents to prevent their kids from going to school. It related sending your kid to college like being in a life raft and sending your kid to swim for shore. He might make it...or he might get eaten by sharks. Or you could stay in the boat and wait for rescue that you know is coming. It's up to you to decide, we won't decide for you....but really it's sharks or jesus. I was shocked that in a statement the speaker made the tacit admittal "If you send your child to college there is a good chance that after getting this education he will no longer think that we have the truth. And we don't want that do we?" I looked around thinking that surely everyone was confused that this man was admitting that ignorance is the key to their beliefs, but nope, everyone was either yawning or taking notes or walking around. It didn't phase anyone. I felt like a sane person sitting in an asylum wondering how I got there.

• hoser
    hoser

Our last SAD the bethel rep blasted college

his quote was" 30% of college graduates in MEXICO don't find a job in their field"

well I thought at least they found a job and I don't live in mexico

Give us some statistics for our own country

• Quandry
    Quandry

Knowledge is power, and freeing.

Having a degree gives one more choices in the job market, whereas having only a High School diploma means just about an assurance of a low paying, dead-end job.

Plus, just "knowing stuff" about the world around us makes us more well-rounded and informed. Not to mention more interesting to talk to!

Not everyone is cut out to wash windows or do janitorial work. Why not encourage young ones who are very intelligent and capable? Why lump all people into the same mold....college is bad....you don't need it....

Oh, yes, because in college a person learns how to do research....something the WTS wants to discourage at all cost!

• wont-let-me-fade
  • wont-let-me-fade
    wont-let-me-fade

to jonathanH thank you so much for that post I forwarded it to my son who is 1st yr at university in uk here is his reply

Love you too Dad.

That does make sense... I found that when I had to make the choice to go to university, there was a lot of pressure from Elders, Mum, and friends to not go simply because I would be putting myself in a dangerous situation - but now that I think about it - The 'dangerous' situation is more simply called LIFE, and I for one am very happy that I made the choice to leave for London. I obviously miss you and Mum, ******,**, the kids, and ****.... everyone absolutely loads, but I am happy that I took the jump and i'm building a new life for myself. Although, i'm telling you it is so difficult starting from scratch - but still fun!!

Cheers for your support Dad xxxx

bythe way I'm a serial lurker but thank you folks for all your input wont-let-me-fade

• Quandry
    Quandry

Welcome, won't let me fade!

Congratulations on having a son in college. My daughter is graduating this December with a degree in Biology.

Our kids will have a future that has more options and more fulfillment.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit