What would you say to a friend who claims to have experienced demons?

by InterestedOne 48 Replies latest jw friends

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

InterestedOne:

When I was about seven years old I had a frightening experience with the spirit realm, and this was long before I ever even knew what a JW or a demon was. I don't want to give too much away but it certainly was real and happened during daylight hours. It only happened once, but it made a huge impression on me. Years later when I was in high school, a girl in school told me about her Ouija board and I asked my parents if we could buy one. Me and my sister played with it. It moved and neither one of us was faking it. My fingers were hardly touching that pointer thing and it flew across the board. We got a creepy feeling from it and my mother ended up throwing it away. My Mom thought it wasn't good to have around and I might add, she didn't even want crucifixes on the wall either.

Years later when I was in my early 20s I had my palm read in a bar by a self-professed witch. I dfidn't pay too much attention to what she said but when I had to drive home (alone) I had a creepy sensation that I had somebody sitting next to me. I actually was so spooked I drove onto the shoulder of the road. I finally got my composure and drove home safely.

I make no claim as to what these things are (whether demons or what). But I can say that I have a healthy "respect" for the spirit realm and will not dabble in it. Any of you on this board can feel free laugh and scoff all you want.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    I agree and I'm not a believer. Common ground?

Regardless of anyone belief in the existence of demons, we ALL know the power of suggestion.

I think that, most will agree that there are things that can give one the impression of the supernatural in our lives and untill that notion is disproved, those things will not be disproved and it is counter-productive to try to argue against what someone has personally experienced.

One most first understand what that expereince is.

• godrulz
    godrulz

fury: some seizures in Scripture were physical and Jesus healed the person; others had a demonic root and Jesus dealt with it by deliverance (so, discern the root cause since it may be physical or demonic).

What does saying the name of Jesus have to do with burning houses down to get rid of demons?! Straw man, ad hominem, as usual.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Why is it that no one who thinks they are total bunk has a visit from them? I see it is a psych. projection onto this outside concept called demons. I say I have demons but I mean not helpful tendencies that plague me, like not studying enough or eating when I should not.

Logic will not help. Being supportive without condoning the belief would be nice. If you can suggest a therapist besides the Witness or in addition to the Witnesses, it would be great. I fear for her. Imagine how you must feel about yourself to be plagued by demons. Her inner pscych struggles makes them very real to her. Mocking demons won't help her. Yes, I would be supportive of her but not support the demon notion. Maybe just ignore it while offering solace.

Someone wrote about the Witnesses a long time ago, stating that the demons had become so central a discussion topic that demons were exalted and worshipped by the Society. Christ was not central. Jehovah was not central. Interestingly, I find it hard to separate Jesus and God now. The pattern can be broken.

It isn't her fault she is a Witness. I believe my parents committed child abuse the way I was exposed to fear of demons. Sometimes demons are hardly mentioned and other times, they are Witness central.

• godrulz
    godrulz

A JW would be powerless to deal with the demonic. If they think someone is demonized, what do they actually do? Call a Catholic exorcist? Tell the demon to read WT literature?

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

I do exorcisms.... is she cute?

• ixthis
    ixthis

She is not wrong ... the demons DO rule THIS world (dare I say it), ... it is even in Scripture that he* IS the prince of this world ...

Looking forward to reading up on your phone conversation outcomes.

* "he" = Lucifer, also known as "Satan" or "the devil".

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

I had the discussion with my friend, and here is her experience:

Her ex-boyfriend used the ouija board and claims that a demon told him it would follow him through electricity. He claims that when he had a thought that the demon was bad, a light bulb exploded on its own. When my friend started dating him, she claims to have experienced supernatural phenomena with him. She claims they were driving down the highway and the streetlamps would dim as they passed them. She said she saw the dashboard lights flicker in the car and once the car almost went out of control because something was going haywire in the electrical system. Once they were sitting in his room and his computer music sequencer started playing something he had not written. She also said she observed something take control of his personality, and it would control her too.

After having these experiences and eventually a rough breakup with her boyfriend, a JW friend of hers started reading the Bible to her. She felt that what the JW was saying the Bible says about demons matched her experience. She continued her indoctrination with the JW's and has been a JW for about 8 years.

After I listened to her experiences, I said that although I cannot discount her personal experience, can she provide any reason why I should believe her general statement that "the world is run by demons?" She said, "I cannot make you believe in demons, nor do I want to try to make you. I can only tell you my personal experience." I said, "but you claimed that the world is run by demons. I'm not asking you to make me believe in demons. I'm asking why a rational person should believe the claim that the world is run by them." She then questioned what I mean by "rational," and then she accused me of being religious and dogmatic as if my "god" is some sort of universal rationality. I said I didn't realize she was going to make me have to define what I mean by rational. I said I could email her some information on logic, but she said she was not interested anyway. Instead, she started asking me questions like how could Hitler come to power, etc.

Toward the end of the conversation, she said we should just agree to disagree meaning that she bases her thinking on the "spiritual" and "the Bible," whereas I base my thinking on "logic" and "rationality." She was actually being very controlling and forcing that dichotomy. I said, "are you saying you are ok with believing things that violate ..." she interrupted me before I could say "rationality," and interjected "I will not be intimidated by you!" I was like "whoah, where is this coming from?" She then said, "I will not be forced to think according to your rules." I ended it by saying I will accept her suggestion that we "agree to disagree," but she can't expect it to not impact how I interact with her. I can sit down and have a conversation with someone who is willing to agree to certain definitions of words and abide by logic. However, if someone is going to abandon logic, I need to know they are abandoning it and adjust how I interact with them. I said I would make that adjustment with her. Basically, I don't think we will ever have a rational discussion, i.e. we're done.

• godrulz
    godrulz

WT is right that demons exist, but wrong to think they are Jehovah's organization. There is demonic oppression/roots to this false religion. Its followers are not immune to demonic influence, but the organization is powerless to help them. Having known the Holy Spirit in my life and churches that exalt Christ, I sense an oppressive spirit (demonic) in Mormon, JW, etc. meetings/individuals (some vs all).

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

InterestedOne,

Your friend will have discussed and rehearsed the type pf conversation she had with you, over and over again. She'll be able to trot out all her stock answers, and will merely see your responses as triggers for her to come in with any one of them, since her basic premise now is virtually unassailable: i.e. the Watchtower has saved her from everything demonic and she is safe in Jehovah's organisation, provided she stays there, trusts him (meaning the WT) and does her best to serve him (distribute magazines and seek out "deserving ones").

I know more than one witness who all fall into that category. And others who helped put them and those like them there. No point in arguing logically with them. Their logic begins and ends with what the WT tells them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit