What would you say to a friend who claims to have experienced demons?

by InterestedOne 48 Replies latest jw friends

• Mad Sweeney
  • ixthis
    ixthis

If a person is having a very real experience of an evil spirit following them (or possessing them) no manner of YouTube videos will provide them comfort or convince them ...

Her friend is better of providing comfort and support and solutions rather than put ideas into her head that she is crazy ...

There are options and I would be asking my friend if she has looked into "curing" this problem ...

• Chariklo
    Chariklo
    She says her ex-boyfriend & his friend used to do the ouija board & as a result have a demon following them around. We are going to have a phone conversation about it next week, and I am trying to think of what to ask or say to her. I think this demon stuff is one thing that ties her to the JW's. I think her prior experience has merged with the JW ideas, and she sees the world through that lense. I am skeptical about this sort of thing, and am wondering what would be a reasonable and not insulting thing to say to someone who bases a good portion of this belief in demons on personal experience.

I think the most useful thing to say to her would be to focus on what is good and ordinary and not to keep thinking about demons. Just don't think about it. Just don't give the subject any time.

That would be by far the most healthy and least risky option. Going down any road of healing from demons or, heaven forbid, exorcism or praying in the spirit or feeling that one has brought it on oneself through any sinful behaviour is not healthy and is the sort of thing that might lead a mentally vulnerable person to become seriously unwell.

Just my two cents worth.

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

ixthis - She sees the JW's as the cure. Also, it was mainly her boyfriend who had the demon following him. When she lived with him, she said she experienced the demon act on it's own behalf. She saw leaving her boyfriend as the first step toward getting away from demonic influence. When she left him, a JW friend of hers indoctrinated her into the JW's. We have been discussing various topics over email, and she said "the world is run by demons," and briefly told me her background. She said she would tell me more about it in a phone conversation next week. I will mainly listen to what she says, but I was curious what a kind, yet skeptical person would say to her given that the JW ideas have merged with her personal experience.

• cantleave
    cantleave

If a person is having a very real experience of an evil spirit following them (or possessing them) no manner of YouTube videos will provide them comfort or

convince them ...

Absolutely right - they need to see a shrink or come off the drugs!

• Chariklo
    Chariklo
    She sees the JW's as the cure.

From my perspective, JW's seem to be obsessed with demons. Whatever goes wrong, they say knowingly, "you know who's behind it", "it's Satan", "Satan wants you not to go to meetings" etc etc. I get it all the time.

I even know a couple who buy things second hand and sell them off on ebay, but say that sometimes they bring something into the house and get a bad feeling because it's demonic. So they throw it out.

I mean, really?!

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

If one truly wishes to help someone out, we have to understand them and their fears and concerns and where they stem from.

Telling someone that demons don't exist when the KNOW they do its just a waste of time and woun't help one bit.

You need to find out WHY she believes they do, what "evidence" she has and try your best to refute that with logic.

That said, since she is a believer you can remind her ( if logic fails) that, as per James, even the Devil will flee if you resist him.

Demons have only the power that WE give them.

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

Damn you Penn & Teller, you're always ruining the fun for everyone!

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    Demons have only the power that WE give them.

I agree and I'm not a believer. Common ground?

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

The Devil sometimes has a way of making believers out of those who doubt the supernatural experiences of others.

The fact that some have experienced "demons" and others haven't tells you that a selection takes place. For some it might be what they bring into the home. Others may dabble with the ouija board and for some, it's the luck of the draw; they just happened to be picked.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit