What a drag it is getting old

by prophecor 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I see much to my commend in my present age. There is a palpable sense of wisdom, which sounds so trite. Youth can remember trivia details but I see a larger picture baed on exprience and across several fields. I understand complexity more than when I was young.

My twenties were when I adjusted to American middle class culture after the Witnesses. I wanted in the middle class and away from the Witnesses so much that I made things harder for myself. Walking away peacefully was not my experience. Walking away meant abandoning family members that I loved. I did not abandon them. The reverse happened.

My mom called the 70s and the 80s rusty rather than golden years. My body failed me massively when still young. I brace myself for my body's failing me again.

Culture functions best when ages are integrated. Together, combining our skills and outlook, we can be formidable. Apart, we are merely mediocre.

Despite some tragic circumstances, I do have more confidence than in my youth. I now have an accumulation of things I could never survive but did. My outlook might be gloomy but I acknowledge I might be filtering the results.

I am a Beatles, Stones, WHO, Clapton nut. Watching these groups perform in their 70s ignites strange feelings in them. When they first hit the US market, I gave them a 6 month lifespan. They still rock superbly. Many sound better than when younger. The defiant ones of my youth are now old men.

• prophecor
    prophecor

Together, combining our skills and outlook, we can be formidable. Apart, we are merely mediocre.

Together, combining our skills and outlook, we can be formidable. Apart, we are merely mediocre.

Band on the Run, I agree with you. The young who have a handle on the wonders of this generation, do the Old Schoolers a great service when blending our energies. They are very savy regarding much of the sophisticated things of this world, but I've seen the Old Heads run circles around them in things they were gifted in. When we bridge together, though, there's a kind of magical chemistry that takes what was mundane, and makes it such a grand spectacle. We all need each other. The lessons from our past do well to be taught to the generations that will precede us. Giving them wind beneath their wings. Passing the baton in our quest the be better investors of the future.

band

• prophecor
  • talesin
    talesin

This is my favorite song about getting older, I've loved it since I was a teen ...

... hope you like it ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY2sLSSbdIE

It's not how my life has turned out so far, but that's life, right?

tal

• prophecor
    prophecor

You got my yand x chromosomes dancin' with each other on that one, Tal!!!

That was absolutely divine.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Mick can still strut around and give those lyrics their due, better than ever, so maybe it isn't such a drag.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

I would love to be twenty again

but only if i could keep my near fifty brain

oz

• Violia
    Violia

I turned 60 few months ago. Decade bd's can be painful & can even send you to therapy. My body was reasonably healthy until I entered 50's. I too wish for the energy I had in my 20--40 but the wisdom I am gaining now.

They say no one dies at 70 anymore. George Carlin proved them wrong. Jerry Seinfeld said that he'd just talked with George and could not believe he'd die at 70. It was so outdated. Seems 80 is the new 70.

I hope my last hopefully 20 + years on this earth are not too painful. I hope that for all of us. We are facing our mortality and afterlife is sounding pretty good now. I don't want to sleep in death-I want to be alive somewhere.

• WhatWasIThinking
    WhatWasIThinking

The only things I don't like about getting older are grey hair, hair loss, and the fact that the body doesn't recover as well from injury. I'm not old, only in my early 30s, but I can tell my body takes longer to recover from overuse or injury than it did when I was in my late teens and early 20s. As far as knowledge goes, hopefully as I get older I continue to learn more and become wiser.

• aristeas
    aristeas

I agree with oz---if only we could

prophecor, I've got to ask: why the avatar of Apollo?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit