What do you think about the "United Church of God"?

by tia.dalma 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• WontLeave
    WontLeave

you were suggesting that the WTS is not a destructive cult.

All churches are destructive cults. That's my point. Those who don't destroy the person directly like the easily-identifiable cults, destroy faith and doctrine.

the church that Jesus started that was built on peter and the apostles and has been in existence for some 2,000 years.

Really? For hundreds of years, there was only one church and it was torturing people for reading the Bible. You going to tell me that was it?

Jesus' true church is true followers of Christ. It's not a building, an organization, or a magisterium. "God's organization" made a golden calf, persecuted God's prophets, killed Jesus, and tortured Christians. This claim that there is a "true church" organization has been beaten into the ground by JWs and every church thinks it's them. The churches all claiming to be the "true church" pave the way for cults like JWs to offer that physical group everybody's looking for. Well, it doesn't exist as a denomination.

This is one thing Russell had right: No church, just doctrine. If someone wants to keep attending their church and disregard its doctrine in favor of something they understand to be true, so be it.

In the following matters, I don't praise you. Your meetings do more harm than good. First, here is what people are telling me. When you come together as a church, you take sides. And in some ways I believe it. No doubt you need to take sides in order to show which of you God agrees with! - 1Cor 11:17-19
  • Joliette
    Joliette

Basically the same as the watchtower.

But at least the leaders of the united chruch of God apologized for saying that the world was gonna end and deceiving people. Those SOB's in brooklyn NEVER SAID THEY WERE SORRY!

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

prophecor: "true Christians should"

This is a phrase no "true Christian should" ever use.

WontLeave: "There are a few churches that have about the same right:wrong ratio as JWs. Unitarian Universalists, United Church of God, Christadelphians, etc."

One of these things does not belong with the others, having almost nothing in common with them other than being classified under "religion."

Alfred: "thanks for posting it"

You're welcome. I actually came across that video here on JWN a year or so ago. It was discussed fairly in depth. If I can find the link I'll post it.

• mouthy
    mouthy

I have spoken at many United Churches.Melanie my daughter that died
    came out of the "LIE"JW"S .And joined the United Church in St Jacobs
    Ontario.Dont believe all you read about them...I have to say I have
    never seen such love as was shown Mells family,especially when
    she was dying.The Pastor Robinson came every night with others
    to bring food( supper) for the whole Family A boy,twin girls,Father
    & Mel.They do believe in Jesus Christ as LORD & Saviour.
    This particular church was so kind,loving,ALL of the Parishoners.
    Yes they believe in the Trinity,they do not teach anything that I did
    not agree with. & YES!!!! I proclaim I am a BORN AGAIN Christian,
    There are other United Churches that do not measure up to this one
    I am sure. But THIS UNITED CHURCH was one of the best I have
    ever attended. I do not go to any church,but have given my testimoney
    in most.I believe Jesus is in my heart...( O.K> Stones may be chucked
    NOW!!!!!!

• Joliette
    Joliette

Hey mouthy how are you? I'm gonna PM you okay ;)

• mouthy
    mouthy

Hope I can get the PM it comes up Error

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

The thing about the Church of God churches is that they are not hierarchical in structure. Some local congregations might be wonderful and others are known to be very cult-like. Doctrinally they are fairly similar but if you move from one place to another it is a crap shoot what sort of CoG you're going to end up in.

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

All churches are destructive cults. That's my point. Those who don't destroy the person directly like the easily-identifiable cults, destroy faith and doctrine.

Really, all religions turn families and friends away from each other. Other faiths and religions tell you who your friends are and what you can or can;t read? You're living in a dream world if you think all faith is as destructive as the WTS cult. I respectfully disagree.

the truth will set you free

• talesin
    talesin

My grandfather used to listen to "Garner Ted Armstrong and the World Tomorrow"s nightly broadcast when I was a kid. He believed in the JWS but didn't want to go door-to-door and especially QUIT SMOKING, so Armstrong was his JW substitute.

In the early 70s, HWA denounced his son for adulterous behaviour, gambling, and the *alleged* rape of a stewardess aboard his private jet. A whole bunch of chaos ensued. GTA was a big star-f**ker, too, and friends with some country music stars.

But what you folks might find interesting is this booklet the HWA produced --- eerily similar to the JWS.

1975 in Prophecy! is a digest-sized booklet warning of an upcoming nuclear war and subsequent enslavement of mankind, leading to the return of Jesus Christ as a benign dictator. It was written by Herbert W. Armstrong and illustrated by Basil Wolverton of Mad magazine fame, published in 1956 by the Radio Church of God. No longer in print, it is now valued for its illustrations.

Oh, and they also had (or have) a magazine entitled The Plain Truth, which is like a twin to the Watchtower TM .

I got the above quote from Wiki, which I don't usually like to do, but I know this is correct.

t

• tia.dalma
    tia.dalma

I've been reading more about them (The United church of God) and it looks like they are not as closed to the Biblical christian doctrine as I thought. They do not believe in trinity but they say that when Jesus was on earth he was actually God - like he was the incarnation of God- this seams strage to me.

And they also keep all the hollidays of the old testament, and the sabbath.

Someone here mentioned thr Christadelphians. I've been searching some info about them and it looks like they are closer to the bible. The only idea from their doctrine I do not agree with is that they do not believe in the preexistance of Jesus. Here is their site: http://www.christadelphian.org.uk/

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit