Kingdom Hall Assistance Arrangement refusing to pay out

by KHA 15 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• KHA
    KHA

I wanted to start a discussion about known instances where the WT society has refused to pay out on insurance claims to congregations who have their Kingdom Hall insured through the in-house insurance scheme known as the Kingdom Hall Assistance Arrangement.

I know of two recent cases in the UK where Kingdom Halls have been badly damaged by water. One happened 6 months ago, the other a few years ago. The congregations have been told to share halls with a neighbouring congregation whilst the WT society asked for report after report on the condition of the building and estimates for repair/demolition. Eventually the first congregation had it's claim rejected on the basis that there was some structural defect that rendered the building irrepairable. It would appear that the more recent claim by the second congregation is heading the same way.

If the WT society isn't using the revenue from the policies for paying out insurance claims for Kingdom Halls, where could the money be going? Here's a thought:

http://watchtowerdocuments.com/documents/Secrets_Commentary_Version_2.pdf (page 80)

Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania has operated an insurance program named Kingdom Hall Assistance Arrangement (KHAA) throughout the United States since 1989. Plaintiff's' attorneys sought information about KHAA doing business in California. Through discovery, Defendant Watch Tower of Pennsylvania was ordered to provide Plaintiffs' attorneys KHAA ledger sheets for claims and payments. Recorded therein can be found a claim of interest. In the column titled, Brief Desccription, Elder misconduct is listed. In the column titled, Incident, the date lodged ia 01/01/1989. In the Insured column, the name of the insured is Red Bluff Congregation, CA. The amount was for $50,000.

Are the funds from Kingdom Hall insurance policies actually being used to make out of court settlements for abuse cases?

• besty
    besty

welcome to JWN - I have posted on this in the past - tell us more about yourself....and keep posting...!

• Alfred
  • KHA
    KHA

The congregation that has been out of their hall for six months now is Hyde in the northwest of England. If any of their elders are reading here, I suggest they speak to someone at the Biggin Hill congregation near Croydon. It sounds as though they have a lot in common.

• besty
    besty

bump

• Curtains
    Curtains

how sad for the congregations

• cantleave
    cantleave

Another scam, to fleece the flock.

• dozy
    dozy

We had a major fire a few years ago & tried to get some recompense from the WT assistance arrangement. The branch told us to do the work ourselves - very difficult as we had very little funds. What was annoying was if we had insured the building ourselves commercially we would have been covered. A brother in Bethel I spoke to admitted that the KH assistance arrangement was really just another funding source , just like the Kingdom Hall fund etc. They dissuade congregations as much as possible from claiming.

You can view the Watchtower UK accounts here - http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/Showcharity/RegisterOfCharities/FinancialHistory.aspx?RegisteredCharityNumber=1077961&SubsidiaryNumber=0

In 2010 , £393,000 was paid into the KH assistance fund and £111,000 was paid out - the fund now stands at £4.7 million. In answer to your question ( where does the money go ), the money sits in the WTBTS of Britains general fund , ringfenced as a contingent liability.

• besty
    besty

great diligence dozy....click the link to see the Biigin Hill KH - part of a large parcel of land and 5 KH's - I'm told that the complex is being torn down and rebuilt to create an Assembly Hall as well as individual KH's - another money making event....

View Larger Map

• KHA
    KHA

Thanks for the replies. That's some interesting information Dozy. I wonder if the KHAA in the UK would come under the jurisdiction of the financial ombudsman?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit