Paperless society?

by AK - Jeff 14 Replies latest jw friends

• pirata
    pirata

I love digital readers. I don't know how else I'd manage to smuggle "In Search of Christain Freedom" (really big!) and "Crisis of Conscience" without getting caught!

I have to wonder though if going "paperless" is really better for the environment. The heavy metals, plastics and other nasty things from electronic devices (both the devices themselves and the chemicals used in manufacture) end up in landfills and leaking out into the environment (or to some 3rd world country for some rather nasty "recycling").

I think too that the decline of the post office and newspapers are inevitable. But once you stop makeing newspapers, what are you supposed to do with all the recycled paper?

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

The more we hear about the "paperless office", the more toner cartridges we buy. When the printed word was more dear in terms of time and effort, there was a business reason for every document. Today's more efficient business tools have been used not to eliminate paper, but to facilitate the production of more and larger documents than ever before.

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

While I do use ereaders & enjoy using them, saves a hell of alot of space on book case, I will very much miss actually been able to hold a 'real turn the page, fold the corner bookmark' hard copy book, if it should ever come to that.

Newspapers different story, they can go the way of the doedoe, only good for wrapping fish & chips the day after printing.

• Pika_Chu
    Pika_Chu

I have often pondered this as well. I think it WILL happen eventually, and I think it's a good thing, but, on the other hand, REAL books are the one thing I'll miss in a paperless society. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it's special somehow.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

A Paperless Society..

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_dwhSrvW0RZc/TJL-Het4q_I/AAAAAAAAAEQ/tmCiMij14yQ/s1600/6a00d8341d7a2053ef01287611062b970c-800wi.jpg

.................... ...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit