Life after death

by truthseeker 136 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Everyone has different views about life after death and whether or not it is a possibility.

As Jehovah's Witnesses, we were always taught that there is no life after death, that this is the only life we have now and that the wages of sin is death.

What are your views on life after death?

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

I seem to have lost some of my post while editing.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

I suspect there is a spirit world out there, but I'm still open to any possibility.

• JustHuman14
    JustHuman14

I'm sure that there is life after death. I never did liked WT's point of view regarding this matter. I believe that our soul exists after death and nothing really dies.

Read Raymond's Rusty "Life after Life", a very nice book that records the experience of people who died and then came back to life

• sizemik
    sizemik

I'm not fully convinced either way . . .

But one of the most compelling phenomenon I've encountered was a television series here in NZ entitled "Sensing Murder".

Each program involved "psychics" helping Police to uncover new facts on unsolved murder cases. The same "psychics" were involved all the way through. They were able to find the murder sites unaided and to reveal details, all of which were in harmony with the confidential police files. Other details were fresh and even led to some arrests. During the course of thier "work" they would openly communicate with the deceased and describe thier appearance and key personal details about them that were later verified with family members etc. Even while trying to hold a healthy skepticism the evidence was quite compelling.

• still thinking
    still thinking

I am still thinking about how I view this. Keen to see what others think. At this stage my experience tells me there is something. But I don't believe it is good. (that is if you are referring to ghosts/spirits etc)

• godrulz
    godrulz

The biblical view is that there is an invisible spiritual realm that is more real than our physical realm. God is from everlasting to everlasting (eternal). The angelic and demonic realm had a beginning, but no end. Life begins at conception and man has a spirit-soul that lives forever in heaven or hell/lake of fire. At the moment of physical death, the real you is still very much alive and aware. The WT view is false, heretical.

• prophecor
    prophecor

Two examples in scripture particullarly give me reason to wonder. Elijah and Enoch. Two witnesses, according to scripture, " at the mouth of two witnesses let every matter be established " who did not die ordinary deaths. Genesis 5:24 & 2nd Kings 2:11 describe Enoch & Elijah, respectively. Two witnesses are all that's required. I've had a learned Bible teacher, Non-Witness explain his version of Ecclesiastes 9:5 & 10. That Solomon was so far in sin and rebellion at the time he wrote it, that all he could see was death, non existence and depression. However...

And Enoch walked with God: and he [was] not; for God took him. Genesis 5:24

By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God. Hebrews 11:5 a cross reference from Genesis 5:24

And it came to pass, as they still went on, and talked, that, behold, [there appeared] a chariot of fire, and horses of fire, and parted them both asunder; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven. 2 Kings 2:11

Kinda' hard to call it from this angle. Seems like life after death existed for some as opposed to the general population. Yahweh has his special ones, I would assume even now. You've opened up an interesting can of worms Truth Seeker. I'll need to confirm notes and get back to you on this one.

For starters, this might pour some gasoline on the fire http://getstarted.wordpress.com/2008/01/17/what-is-the-great-cloud-of-witnesses/

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

The best thing about the 'troof' is that it frees you from worries about hellfire and damnation. I rest easy knowing that death is just sleep. I don't expect to wake from that sleep but where is the fear in that? I no longer buy into any of the claptrap the borg offers but I have emerged free of any fear of death.

The whole thing seems to be a big hole in the WTBS teaching you go to sleep and are then unaware of anything. All those who have died are unrewarded but also unpunished, none are aware. It only matters as a construct to those living.

The punishment or reward is just the same at the time of death - sleep, non-existance, absence. Resurrection is not you it is only a clone of you.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

I've read a few interesting concepts about the Spirit Realm.

The Spirit Realm is not just another dimension but it is all around us and consists of upper and lower planes.

When we die, we pass over. At that time we are educated about the Creator's sovereign laws and the spiritual war and are given a choice of which side to choose.

Those who choose God's side pass through the light and become Holy Ghosts.

Those who do not become converts, that is they become converted to Satan's way of thinking.

Children who die pass over immediately and receive their inheritance. They have special status with the Creator.

Persons guilty of vile acts are spiritually tagged. When they die and pass over, they are apprehended by angelic deputies who take the criminal to the presence of the Almighty. There, witnesses replay what the criminal has done and sentence is passed. The offender is taken to a dark realmof imprisonment until the final judgement.

Occasionally, people who are murdered are so distraught over their death that they never leave the lower planes and may haunt the place of their passing or even the person who killed them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit