Can you be appointed as an Elder while attending college?

by doubtful 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Alfred
    Alfred

the PO from my congo was getting his Phd last year in information systems so he didn't have time to answer all my questions about 607-1914, the generation overlap, 1975, 1935, etc.. After "nagging" him for answers to simple questtions, he eventually said that I should write to the Society because he simply did not have the time... So I wrote a series of letters to brooklyn and their evasive responses made it that much easier for me to run for the exit.

• mindseye
    mindseye

A better question would be why would someone attending college want to be an elder.

• jamiebowers
  • yknot
    yknot

LITS

I have NOT heard that they are fading but as you pointed out his status had a lot to do with his daddy.

Amber's dad Dale still does WTS cars.

Anywho, I started to think they were SPing but I cant find anyone to confirm.

At the end of the day, I expect Judah B to be a JW until he dies (even if in public profession only)

Whatever he and Amber choose, I wish them well and feel tinges of guilt when their names are listed regarding higher education. If they were any other couple we all would be applauding them for attending instead of making them poster-kids for the double standards of the WTS.

I have since lost my Columbia contact and if any here reading have Uni login privileges PM me and we can do a little snooping and see if he was still pursuing his degree or partaking in alumni association.

Being Bethel-born has its pros and cons.......

(BTW Malcom Rutherford was so hounded by opposers that he led a relatively isolated life and that for me is the saddest thing.)

Viva la Freedom for all JW children!

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

I just had this discussion with my brother who is an elder. And I would say "no"from what I got with his answer. They instructed the brothers,on how could they counsel against going to college, if they themselves or their children were attending college.

They have become more dogmatic on this issue,if it's possible.

It doesn't make sense at all. There are some who join the work force full-time after high school. What is the difference? They are around so-called,"worldly" influences too.

They have no real scriptural backing for this.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

EmptyInside,

You make an excellent point that young persons going into the workforce directly from High School are every bit as exposed to "worldly influences" as those attending college.

There is no scriptural basis for the WTS's downer on college education - and there is no logical basis for their portrayal of a typical university as being a den of iniquity (while, presumably, the workplace isn't!)

The only conclusion one can reach from this is that scriptures are only for newly interested persons or weak publishers:

- for "mature" JWs, directives from the Governing Body are what really count.

In other words, it is all about conforming to a set of man-made rules - waking up to this fact some 17 years ago is what sent me fleeing from "The Truth."

Bill.

• life is to short
    life is to short

Sorry Ynot I just saw your post about Judah B, thanks. When I was at Bethel I leaned toward feeling more sorry for him then my overseer and a lot of others did. I just could not even begin tothink what it must have been like to have been born and raised in Bethel. It would have been like living in a fish bowl. Everyone judging his every move.

Like I said he seemed nice to me and the time I ate lunch with him at his table he treated me kindly.

I too wish them the best.

LITS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit