Can you be appointed as an Elder while attending college?

by doubtful 16 Replies latest jw friends

• doubtful
    doubtful

What is the current stance on this issue? I've heard of a lot of MS who were going to university, and yet I've never heard of that being the case for elders. Someone on this board also mentioned recently that they knew of man who was denied appointment as an elder despite otherwise excellent qualifications because he was a college student. Other posters even mentioned that you can't continue to serve as an elder if you decide to go to college or allow your children to go to college.

Is that official policy, or some kind of unwritten rule that all elder bodies abide by? You can't become an elder or even remain an elder if you decide to pursue a degree?

• yknot
    yknot

Possible -- Yes!

Probable -- No!

Depends on the politics....

The Kingdom School comments/outline was based on the CO Outline from 2008 (see thread discussion below)

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/161775/1/Copy-of-CO-Letter-Outline-Regarding-Education-In-Spanish

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

Judas Ben Schroeder the son of the late GB member is one example!

• yknot
    yknot

Judah Ben.....oh where oh where has he and Amber gone!!

Last seen in the Atlanta area giving a talk at an assembly!

Judah Ben graduated in 2006 with a Bachelors in Gen Studies, he had registered in liberal arts after that but then he disappeared off my radar...

Anyone know how I can get his pic on a milk carton!!!

(nah I am joking, I hope he and Amber are able to fade off.....wish them the best and lots of normalcy......would hate to see him treated as Malcolm was treated)

• jean-luc picard
    jean-luc picard

Like your avatar: doubtful.

• dozy
    dozy

With the new hardline WTBTS policy against further education , I think it would be almost impossible for an college / uni attending elder to be appointed. Having said that , it might depend on the course he is going through - maybe a one year work related course might be OK. If he is an elder's son or relative , this would help. I would have thought the best idea would be to kick the appointment into the long grass until the brother graduates and then it is just history & he can be appointed.

A lot depends on the BOE & the CO. Appointments are always political decisions - taken on a straight majority of the elder's votes. I've seen these decisions go both ways.

• life is to short
    life is to short

I would say no at least not where I live. College is totally looked down on and I know of no one who has even tried to go.

Not to high jack this thread but Ynot is Judah Ben and Amber trying to fade? I was at Bethel in the early 90's and Judah Ben was really looked up to at that time from the circle of people I was around because of who his father was on one hand and on the other side many were ticked off at how he was treated like royalty( not my words but my overseers) because of who his father was.

I just did not know where or what to think of him as I was really never around him I only ate lunch at his table once and he was nice enough.

Just wondering if he is still in.

LITS

• Curtains
    Curtains

he probably would not be appointed around here. MS yes I think more likely - a universtiy student I know has been appointed MS.

• JRK
    JRK

Judah and his son-in-law Dave; What a piece of work! BS, BS, BS! Just sucking each other little d*cks.

Family is more important than substance.

JK

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

An MS who is pursuing advanced education which is required for and paid for by his employer, but who still carries above average FS hours could have a chance if he's in a body of "progresive" elders. Probably equal odds to winning lottery (which does happen).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit