I am thinking about voting

by Bucholz 22 Replies latest jw experiences

• Bucholz
    Bucholz

So, I am thinking about voting for the first time in my life. Even though there is a Questions from Readers article that basically mentioned it is a conscience matter, we all know what the unwritten rule is.

Problem is, even though I'm mentally out, I'm still physically in. Do you think that if I'm seen at the polling station by the Witnesses I could suffer any consequences? Could I just show them the article and point out that the Society says it's a conscience matter? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• sabastious
    sabastious

If it's a conscious matter it's a conscious matter. Watchtower print is law; use it as a meatshield.

-Sab

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

If you don't want to be DF'd, the safest strategy is to live according to their rules -- in public.

• Haulin Oats
    Haulin Oats

Cant you vote by mail?

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

What would another witness be doing at the polling place?

Isn't that kinda like the scenario of what to you do if you see someone who know at a X-rated movie? Just ask: How ya doing, Pervert?

• pbrow
    pbrow

Bucholz, if you feel like you can than by all means do it. It is a part of being a good citizen to your fellow man and it also helps to release the grip that the religion has on us. In my area voting for your third district alderman is seen as putting world rulers (or district alderman) over god, but like Sabatious said, the best thing about JW's is you can use the everchanging watchtower against them. The rules go back and forth so much even the good jdubs dont know what the latest direction is.

pbrow

• talesin
    talesin

If you can't vote by mail, can you vote at an early poll? They are usually quite deserted, and less chance you will be seen.

It's a great feeling! I remember my first time. :)

t

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

You actually found someone that you would want to vote in office?

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

I voted this year for the first time. It felt great. I did it because the initiatives here in CA were important. I don't know about the Presidential election. Seems futile. Probably will if Mickey Mouse is running again though he may be a libertarian. I voted in the next city over, the county seat, where no one would be because it was the voting headquarters and It would seem I was on court business or something. To vote in my own little city would be inviting disaster. Usually its a school gym or civic center where they vote here. Next time I'll vote via mail, its more convenient any way.

• talesin
    talesin

I met and spoke with the candidates IN PERSON. It's one more thing that the WTS will never take away from me again - my right to vote. You can be sure that when I want question their actions, or help with a problem, I ring up the person I voted for and get some answers.

We have a different system here in Canada, and more choices. Sometimes it seems like it's between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea, but at least it's my choice, and exercising my right to vote has helped me feel more of a person, and not just some drone that is told I DON'T COUNT FOR ANYTHING.

lol, I even wrote Michael Ignatieff (was running for Prime Minister) to tuck his tail between his legs and run back to Harvard as soon as the election was over, because I knew Canadians would never fall for his GWBush-loving ways because we in Atlantic Canada were ONTO HIM. Torture my A$$, I'd like to see him get the waterboard and know how it feels! And guess what --- he's outta here ........ BUH-BYE!

t

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit