Do They Still Offer Food At The DCs?

by Low-Key Lysmith 34 Replies latest jw experiences

• moshe
    moshe

I would rather eat at Sam-N-Ella's diner than eat WT convention food. Those burritos were nasty.

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

Hoagie, pasta salad, pudding cup... half-rotten bag of fruit...

I lived for those damn cheese danishes, though!

One of the last years they had food at the DC was the WORST. They had quit making people buy tickets and, just like the LITTERature, it was all on a donation basis...so people started REALLY taking advantage. Instead of getting enough food to feed their family for lunch, they'd get double for lunch AND dinner on the way home. I know quite a few families who did this. They'd leave their seats at the beginning of the song right before intermission in order to get in line for food. My mom wouldn't let me do that, so we were always some of the last in line. That year, my mom and I got nothing for lunch on the second day of the DC. Goddamn vultures had picked it all clean. By the time we got up to the tables, there were only drinks left. The next day, she let me get up before the last song to go get food.

• Gayle
    Gayle

yeah, the food at the assemblies was the highlight??,,goes to show what the "spiritual" food was like. Yawn.

• cheerios
    cheerios

those burritos turned the few mens rooms into complete warzones :( utterly horrible

• snowbird
    snowbird

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/199192/1/I-Want-Some-of-That-Convention-Pudding

No more food offered at conventions; memories are all we have left ...

Syl

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    Muff'N'Egg

Those things were vile. They didn't even have yolks! How obscene is that?

W

• snowbird
    snowbird

Tee hee hee.

Agreed - they were a blight on the name of good egg-laying hens!

Syl

• jgnat
    jgnat

Nope, now it is bring your own lunch and make sure your cooler can fit under the seat. Apparently our local venue is miffed that their commercial food service outlets must stay closed during a convention. That's a chunk out of their revenue! I noted that the sole vendor open during the DC (close to our subway station) was mobbed for chips, chocolate bars, and pop. When the venue complained to the WT convention organizers, the congregation was warned again to bring their own food. They were also to keep their convention badges on when leaving the event to be a "witness".

People being who they are, preparing the lunch is now a ritual in itself. Hence, the appearance of fancy coolers. After all, in the absence of other seasonal holidays other than the memorial, the convention is the event of the year!

I chalk up the appearance of "fancy dress", especially among the young single women, to the same phenomenon. It's her best chance to (discreetly) romance her man!

• Quendi
    Quendi

While DC food wasn't always the best, I can remember meals at circuit assemblies that were nothing short of glorious. More than thirty years ago, when I lived in Birmingham, Alabama, the Witnesses purchased an old high school in Bessemer. They got it at a bargain price and did a marvelous job of renovating it. It had a huge auditorium, plenty of classrooms and offices that could be converted to other uses, and adequate parking. It was called "The Alabama Assembly Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses" and was used by circuits as far away as Tennessee and Georgia.

The high school also had a large kitchen and cafeteria that was used to prepare meals for the friends and as a place to eat. Our circuit had a woman who was one of the best cooks in all of Alabama and the Witnesses wisely put her in charge of the kitchen. For "theocratic" reasons they appointed a man as "kitchen overseer" but everyone knew that Liz was the real boss. The brother simply stood around and smiled as Liz directed all the cooking operations. Closed-circuit television was also in the kitchen so workers could see and hear the assembly program.

Liz cooked up marvelous meals for our circuit assemblies, including breakfast. Not only was the food delicious, but the meals were also well-balanced, as Liz had a dietician working in the kitchen with her. We never complained about what we had to eat back in those days, and the Witnesses were always grateful to Liz for all her hard work. She and her husband moved away from Birmingham thirty years ago (as did I), so I don't know what happened to the feeding arrangement when the Society decided to stop serving food at all its assemblies. I imagine few in our circuit were happy about that.

Quendi

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Before 1995, they had food ("phude" is more accurate a description). At the Big and Great Boasting Sessions, you had some hot phude. They had those muffin'eggs (which were not that great). The milk was the only thing that was really worthwhile. As was the soft-serve ice cream. The burritoes were mediocre--I have had better ones from the supermarket (all probably loaded with monosodium glutamate anyways).

At the Grand Boasting Sessions, cold phude ruled. It was mostly cold sandwiches, of which I preferred the roast beef. You would also get those pudding cups (frozen), and generic cola or lemon-lime (full of high fructose corn syrup). And most of the fruit was crap--half rotten. They stopped accepting those tickets in 1990, and went to a guilt-based donation arrangement at that time.

After 1995, packing was a challenge. It was not too bad if the a$$embly was in town. A big or great boasting session was usually local, and I could make cheese sandwiches at home (that were superior to the monosodium glutamate sandwiches at the a$$emblies). I could also take my own pop (or seltzer water, with no high fructose corn syrup). However, it is too much to prepare for 3 days without refrigeration--homemade sandwiches would almost always go bad after a couple of days sitting at room temperature. This limits the selection to nuts and whatever pop or seltzer water you can get access to.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit