Seriously condsidering disasscoiating

by Ashley L. 30 Replies latest jw friends

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I am seriously considering disassociating myself. I want to do this because I no longer consider myself one of Jehovah's Witnesses. I no longer consider Jehovah as my God and I am in a new religion now. I now consider myself a Wiccan or Wicca. Only problem is I still have family members that are Jehovah's Witnesses and want to have a relationship with them. I am very conflicted on this what should I do?

Disfellowshipping and disassociation are part of THEIR RULES.

At this point in your journey in TTATT, why the hell would you still conform to THEIR RULES?

Just move on with your life. Don't give them the pleasure of doing a formal DA.

Doc

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

If you follow THEIR process of disassociating yourself, you are only validating their practice of judging and shunning. Don't give them that power.

If you do not consider yourself a JW, I bet most JWs that know you don't consider you a JW anymore, either. Just cut your losses and stay gone.

The only thing disassociating yourself will do is put your family in a very, very bad predicament. They will be forced to choose between their loyalty to you or to the organization. I guarantee if won't be you. It never is.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd
    I kind of think to myself if you don't have to rock the boat then dont.
  • TheFadingAlbatros
    TheFadingAlbatros

After having been fourty years active and three years inactive I have decided to officially disassociate myself a few months ago from the Jehovah Witnesses' organization. Now that I have done it I have got much more respect for myself and I feel much more comfortable in my every day life and have lost the impression to be caught between two stools (je n'ai plus l'impression d'avoir le cul entre deux chaises) like the one I had during my three years of inactivity. The fact to be now 100 % outside of any religious organization gives me a clear understanding of things and people and the pride and joy not to move anymore in shady circles. Loosing confidence in a religious organization has not brought me to loose confidence in God.

But I recognize that to decide to officially disassociate oneself from the Jehovah Witnesses' organization is a personal decision that only can be taken after a careful consideration of different realities.

• TTATT_Paladin
    TTATT_Paladin

To Know

To Dare

To Will

To Keep Silent

Being true to the new path = not bothering to tell them a damn thing. Your new theocratic warfare embraces some secrecy.

Being true to your old path = playing their legalistic and cult-control game.

• Heaven
    Heaven
    My advice would be to just fade from the JWs and perform a banishing ritual/ceremony for closure.
  • stan livedeath
    stan livedeath
    i disassociated 40 years ago. i lost my kids.
  • sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

I had the same sort of question a few months ago, If I should send a letter, because I felt out of principal I should cut the cord, but I simply don't care anymore, and the fact that half my extended family are Jws it would make it very difficult at family functions for those ones. so for them i guess i play along. when all of those older ones are dead, lol, and im like 60, maybe Ill have peace of mind.

Its odd, once you stop going to meetings your treated as if you have done something wrong and avoid you anyway. when and If I bump into someone out at a market or someplace public they are forced to say hello, and smile but then quickly move on. These people have no clue what s going on, but , I must be evil,lol.

Wicca is a following that does not have a lot of ' pomp and circumstance' and 'preaching', so that they would need to know what your doing. id sooner just , be way too busy, fill the schedule, and when with family make sure you are doing something that blocks the way for them to open up and questions of discussion. the thing is I have my mind and my own opinion and they cannot take that from me anymore. that alone is my closure.

• stillin
    stillin
    You are in a new religion now? It is going to be tough keeping that hidden. But I feel like quietly going to a Sunday JW meeting once in a while can't hurt you and it will keep the doors open for you in your family. Your "statement" will be made by your actions, without the drama of having your local elders jumping you and losing your family.
  • dozy
    dozy

There are quite a few threads on this dilemma. Personally I just faded as I have elderly JW parents who rely on me for support. But I understand people looking for closure. I'm not a big fan of DAing in most circumstances as it is simply a JW procedure.

Having said that , if you are very open about your new religion then presumably they will DF you anyway ( especially one as "pagan" ( from a JW mindset ) as you have adopted ). DFing a faded JW is always something of a lottery - It depends on many factors such as how long you have been out , how well known you were as a JW & whether one or more busybody elders decides to take action against someone who stopped going to meetings some time in the past.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit