Seriously condsidering disasscoiating

by Ashley L. 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Ashley L.
    Ashley L.
    I am seriously considering disassociating myself. I want to do this because I no longer consider myself one of Jehovah's Witnesses. I no longer consider Jehovah as my God and I am in a new religion now. I now consider myself a Wiccan or Wicca. Only problem is I still have family members that are Jehovah's Witnesses and want to have a relationship with them. I am very conflicted on this what should I do?
  • truthseeker100
    truthseeker100
    Hey friend. If you dissociate yourself you will lose your family. Better for you to just fade away.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Welcome to the forum Ashley.

Many members here are in a similar predicament as you are. What you can do can depends a lot on the personal circumstances you're in.

Have you been baptized? How long have you been in? How devoted are your relatives? Tell us a little more about yourself. Otherwise a fade should be the best option.

• zeb
    zeb

So many feel they have to write the big letter. This is wt thinking pushed onto us. The wt love the use of legalistic ways. I ask did you ever get any certificate saying you are a minister on your baptism or welcoming you in to the org? the answer is no.

Dont give them one back. TS100 has a very valid observation.

• ron rawson
    ron rawson
    Don't burn bridges....once they're gone, they are gone. Never the same even if you re-build them. Just fade away and you'll have all the pleasure (of still having at least some relationship with family) and none of the pain (in the butt from JW's)....it will take some time but stand your ground, and decline offers from elders who want to 'help' you spiritually. I speak from experience: fade slowly into the background until you just disappear.
  • freemindfade
    freemindfade
    Be a secret Wiccan
  • FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

A DA letter can not be undone. It is unlikely you will ever have a relationship with your family again, and you will be considered a hateful apostate.

If you fade, they still won't talk to you much, and there will be things you can never tell them, but at least you can see them sometimes.

and like freeemind said, you can be a secret Wiccan! Wiccans were always good at being secret anyway ;).

• What Now?
    What Now?

I'm torn between this as well.

On one hand, I refuse to play by THEIR rules - rules I do not believe in or agree with.

On the other hand, I want the closure of being disassociated. It's hard to fully move on with our lives without it.

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds
    lol wicca. ditching one crazy religion for another one. how old are you?
  • LisaRose
    LisaRose

This is a very serious step with lasting consequences. A lot depends on your relatives and how uptight they are about the rules and how much you would miss their company if they should shun you. If they are zealous JWs they may shun you if they find out you are Wicca, even if you do not disassociate. Being shunned is painful, that's why it is used by this religion. If you won't return they want you to be as unhappy as possible to deter others from following your example. They dent care a bit about you if you are not under their control.

I did not disassociate, but my JW relatives shun me because I remarried without a "scriptural divorce". Fifteen years later I am still married to the love of my life, but still shunned because I am such hussy, and my ex husband still refers to me as "your mother, the whore". Meanwhile, pedophile elders are OK if its been a few years since they offended and no one found out. It's a cult, they make up the rules as they go along.

In the long run it's your life and your family, so do what works for you, but make sure you have a support system in place in case your family does choose to shun.

I wish you well and hope everything works out for you.

Lisa Rose

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit