Simplified Watchtower, beginning with July 15th.

by DagothUr 21 Replies latest jw friends

• sabastious
    sabastious

Zerglings pack a real punch so I don't think it's an accurate analogy. Plus we already got one, the Borg is an eerily perfect parallel. Don't fix it if it aint broken ;)

-Sab

• DagothUr
    DagothUr

I can see what you mean. Also, the long version is more prone to small personal interpretations, which the GB would sure like to eliminate. I opened this thread because I saw a post on a special dubbie forum. It goes like this:

"I can truly say, this new simplified english version of the Watchtower is going to change lives. I just started scamming through it and already so far I like it better! I've already read through one whole article because I enjoy it that much. You know what this simplified english reminds me of? It reminds me of the terminology and english used in "My Book of Bible Stories" for younger people, but in WATCHTOWER FORM!. I can't believe how easy it is to read this Watchtower. I am so happy for this! For example, has there ever been a time when you're studying the Watchtower with yourself or your family, and you get to the question of the paragraph, and it's almost a mile long and difficultly phrased? My daughter is 11 and honestly it's very difficult for her to get the gist of the questions and understand the terms in the Watchtower. This is absolutely a blessing from Jehovah and It's going to change the way many of us read our Watchtower!
    Don't forget to tell Jehovah thanks! big grin My cheeks even hurt from grinning over how much I love this new Watchtower!"

So I thought this new version was for the use of dumber JWs, given the fact that we all know their average intelligence is below 80, since they don't go much to college.

• DagothUr
    DagothUr

I also like "the Borg", since it's much older and already consecrated. You are right: zerglings attack in large numbers and they do the damage. JWs went in large numbers in this April special campaign and no one saw the earth trembling. On my street no one has yet received the memorial invitations.

• unshackled
    unshackled

Also, the long version is more prone to small personal interpretations, which the GB would sure like to eliminate.

Good point. I think, put simply: the simplified version reaches a broader audience while also tightening control. It's fast food mind control.

• goddidit
    goddidit

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nineteen_Eighty-Four

Newspeak is closely based on English but has a greatly reduced and simplified vocabulary and grammar. This suits the totalitarian regime of the Party, whose aim is to make any alternative thinking—"thoughtcrime", or "crimethink" in the newest edition of Newspeak—impossible by removing any words or possible constructs which describe the ideas of freedom, rebellion and so on.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Keep an eye open for articles where you can encourage a bOrgite to polish the WTs image by trying to tone down a particularly culty piece of writing.

Once they have adamantly stated their position, you will be able to pull out the Newspeak edition and and give them a lesson in honesty.

• therevealer
  • Farkel
    Farkel

How much "simpler" than first-grade can the Watchtower possibly get?

Farkel

• HintOfLime
  • sizemik
    sizemik

I see another use for it rather than just reaching out to a different 'class' of adherent . . .

Any manoevering "room" for interpretation that exists in the 'regular' version can be clarified by consulting the 'simplified' version . . . ultimate result; tighter control

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit