DRY BEGGING....

by Snoozy 43 Replies latest social family

• AnneB
    AnneB

Late entry into this thread, but..... Couldn't she take her utility bill to a help agency? Every place has them. They'll either make arrangements with the utility company or pay the bill outright in her behalf.

In the city where I live they've made a huge campaign out of teaching people *not* to give cash when asked. They've even printed up a poster-sized help list (that folds down to wallet-sized) with all the agencies listed along with what help that agency can give. They have listings for rent, utilities, medical, violence, substance abuse, clothing, meals, groceries, employment, training, you name it. The police, libraries, etc. have stacks of these lists and they encourage people to carry a few with them in case they are approached for help. The idea is to hand over the list, not the cash.

My suggestion is that you look in the front of your local phone book or online, anywhere there is a list of agencies for your community. Get familiar with it and make the appropriate recommendation(s) any time you are asked for cash. Try 2-1-1 (phone). Many communities use that number for a general, anonymous help line. You tell them what you are looking for and they tell you what's available in your area.

Edited to add that unless you are a doctor, the correct response, imo, to "give my head a break, please" (migraine) is "See a doctor, go to ER".

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

She does go to the ER..they give her drugs she doesn't need!..

I have an update again

She apparently scrounged together @20. and borrowed $10. from a friend of hers and put the $30. in the collect box with a note for them to please not turn the water off and she will pay the balance when she gets paid on the 1st..

She then sold a old TV she had in her bedroom to a friend for $20. and got gas for her car to last till the end of the week..

I told her I ws so proud whe worked i tolt on her own!..And I am!

She said she never wants to go through that again and is going to stash $40. for the end of the month for gas!.

That never would have happened if I had bailed her out..I am proud of both of us!...(It was really hard saying No)

Snoozy

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Anne, she makes too much money to get any kind of assistance. She is just blowing it somewhere..Hopefully this last close call will help push her in the right direction. In the past I have always been there to bail her out..

Thank you for the suggestions tho..I will still look them up just in case..

Snoozy

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Anne you have a message, sorry I didn't see yours before..I am sending you an update..

Hugs, Snoozy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit