I need some scriptual skill Here (what is the good news?)

by TheLoveDoctor 18 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• wobble
    wobble

Paul also said in Galations that anyone coming to them with a different message, or good news, even if it were an Angel, that one was to be ignored, the Gospel (Good News) was "Christ Ressurected". Thats it.

So anything that the WT/JW's wish to add to that, i.e paradise earth, only 144,000 going to Heaven, a class of people called the FDS,no blood transfusion, Armageddon etc etc is to be rejected, and yet these are the very things they expect you to go out and preach !

The actual Good News hardly features in their literarure and teaching, in fact they seem to think it would be a good thing if Jesus faded away and just left their Governing Body in charge totally, especially of the coming Kingdom.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Here is how a JW identifies propaganda. http://www.watchtower.org/e/20000622/article_03.htm

Ask questions: As we have seen, there are many today who would like to 'delude us with persuasive arguments.' (Colossians 2:4) Therefore, when we are presented with persuasive arguments, we should ask questions. First, examine whether there is bias. What is the motive for the message? If the message is rife with name-calling and loaded words, why is that? Loaded language aside, what are the merits of the message itself? Also, if possible, try to check the track record of those speaking. Are they known to speak the truth? If "authorities" are used, who or what are they? Why should you regard this person—or organization or publication—as having expert knowledge or trustworthy information on the subject in question? If you sense some appeal to emotions, ask yourself, 'When viewed dispassionately, what are the merits of the message?'

What can we learn from this?

1) Don't try a persuasive argument.

2) Don't quote literature that they think is biased.

3) No name calling

4) Expect them to try to trash your character

5) Expect them to try to trash your reference material (see #2)

6) Don't appeal to emotions

Any more?

• Heaven
    Heaven

Matthew 11:28: "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." -- KJV

I've never read Christ saying "Push me on people".

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

andre, you mean this scripture?

1corinthians12:27-30

27 Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it. 28 And God has placed in the church first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healing, of helping, of guidance, and of different kinds of tongues. 29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? 30 Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues? Do all interpret? 31 Now eagerly desire the greater gifts.

• saltyoldlady
    saltyoldlady

Boy - we are beginning to get a nice list here - wow jgnat, you did a lot of work. Let me add one more since I am currently working on the 1st letter of Timothy - 1:15 "Faithful and deservinhg of full acceptance is the saying that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners." In verse 16 we get the info that "those who rest their faith on him will receive everlasting life." The same thought has been given above more than once but in summary a major part of the "good news" is Jesus Christ gives us LIFE, the means to everlasting life. Without him and a knowledge of him we would be limited to just the few years of existence we now experience in this system of things. John 12:47 tells us he did not come to judge the world but to save the world. John 16:33 Take courage because I have conquered the world and he tells us we too will be able to conquer the world with our faith in him and obedience to his commandment to be loving one another even as he loved us. John 10:27 states "My sheep listen to my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. And I give them everlasting life, and they will by no means ever by destroyed, and no one will snatch them out of my hand, because the Father has entrusted them to me, and no one can snatch them out of the hand of the Father. He is greater than all else." Another translation of this passage indicates these sheep are "precious" to the Father via the words "what my Father has given me is something greater than all other things." Either rendition will do as both add insight that is correct except of course the Father is the One who is greater than all else if we were to get technical here. And at the end of John Chapter 17:26 we are given the good news that the love with which the Father loved Christ, His Son, may also be in us and we will be in union with the Christ. The ramifications of that one are immense - worthy of meditation.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

The good news is that I'm not attending any meetings ever.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

Matthew 24:31-40

When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit upon his glorious throne, [32] and all the nations will be assembled before him. And he will separate them one from another, as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. [33] He will place the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

[34] Then the king will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father. Inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. [35] For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me, [36] naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me.'

[37] Then the righteous will answer him and say, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? [38] When did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? [39] When did we see you ill or in prison, and visit you?'

[40] And the king will say to them in reply, 'Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me.'

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

1Timothy 3:15-16

15 if I am delayed, you will know how people ought to conduct themselves in God’s household, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth. 16 Beyond all question, the mystery from which true godliness springs is great:

He appeared in the flesh,
    was vindicated by the Spirit,
    was seen by angels,
    was preached among the nations,
    was believed on in the world,
    was taken up in glory.

1 Corinthians 1:23

but we preach Christ crucified

• blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest