I need some scriptual skill Here (what is the good news?)

by TheLoveDoctor 18 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• TheLoveDoctor
    TheLoveDoctor

Please give me scriptures as to what the 1st century christians were two preach including the body of christian teachings at the time. Then we can compare that to what GB says the good news is and why one must answer 80 or so questions. It will also help me with the ability to prove why I do not wish to be in the door to door work including any scriptual proofs that could be used to show not all should be preaching.

• snowbird
    snowbird

1 Corinthians 15:3 says the Good News is that Jesus of Nazareth died for our sins and was resurrected on the third day.

In His instructions given in Luke chapter 10, the Master admonishes His disciples against moving about from house to house!

The following passages show emphatically that not all disciple are to be preachers.

Ephesians 4:5 -6 You were all called to travel on the same road and in the same direction, so stay together, both outwardly and inwardly. You have one Master, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all, who rules over all, works through all, and is present in all. Everything you are and think and do is permeated with Oneness.

7 -13 But that doesn't mean you should all look and speak and act the same. Out of the generosity of Christ, each of us is given his own gift. The text for this is,

He climbed the high mountain,
    He captured the enemy and seized the booty,
    He handed it all out in gifts to the people. Is it not true that the One who climbed up also climbed down, down to the valley of earth? And the One who climbed down is the One who climbed back up, up to highest heaven. He handed out gifts above and below, filled heaven with his gifts, filled earth with his gifts. He handed out gifts of apostle, prophet, evangelist, and pastor-teacher to train Christ's followers in skilled servant work, working within Christ's body, the church, until we're all moving rhythmically and easily with each other, efficient and graceful in response to God's Son, fully mature adults, fully developed within and without, fully alive like Christ.

14 -16 No prolonged infancies among us, please. We'll not tolerate babes in the woods, small children who are an easy mark for impostors. God wants us to grow up, to know the whole truth and tell it in love—like Christ in everything. We take our lead from Christ, who is the source of everything we do. He keeps us in step with each other. His very breath and blood flow through us, nourishing us so that we will grow up healthy in God, robust in love. The Message Bible

Seems to me that, instead of door knocking, each Christian is to be a servant to the Body of Christ.

Syl

• saltyoldlady
    saltyoldlady

Great idea - I want to have this composite list myself.

For starters I will offer John 14:6 - Jesus said to him (Thomas) "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

I think this particular scripture nullifies the idea any one religious organization can call itself the "one true channel of God" - that true channel is Jesus Christ and Jesus Christ is the "only" channel, period. Anyone that suggests that baptism into an organization that includes as one of its baptismal questions the obligation of loyalty to it is making a stab at becoming the mediator themselves and replacing Christ.

• TheLoveDoctor
    TheLoveDoctor

common everone lets get some more scriptures about the good news we should teach

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

The bad news is that JWs have been taught to get their Truth from the bOrg.

Any scripture you pull to argue against a bOrg doctrine only IDs you as having apostate thinking. The bOrg was selected by Jesus and they are God's channel and they won't forget that just because some apostate shows them a scripture.

So .... before you discuss anything with them ..... think about all of the mind control techniques that are taught from the platform ..... and find a way to get your point across with setting off apostate alarm bells. The psychology is more important than the facts. If you can get them to tell you that preaching isn't important .... you win.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

The gospel is the news of the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus christ.

1corinthians15:3-5

3 For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, 5

1Corinthians1:23

but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles

• bob1999
    bob1999

Luke 2:10-11

" 10 But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you GOOD NEWS that will cause great joy for all the people. 11 Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord."

The good news is the fact that there is salvation through Christ.

Peace

• Perry
    Perry

The Good News is One Word:

VICTORY

Matthew 12:20 A bruised reed shall he not break, and smoking flax shall he not quench, till he send forth judgment unto victory.

1 Corinthians 15:54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

1 Corinthians 15:57 But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

1 John 5:4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.

Revelation 15:2 And I saw as it were a sea of glass mingled with fire: and them that had gotten the victory over the beast, and over his image, and over his mark, and over the number of his name, stand on the sea of glass, having the harps of God.

THERE IS NOTHING QUITE LIKE THE EXPERIENCE OF VICTORY ... I highly reccommend it.

• andrekish
    andrekish

Hello. The scriptures used by all Christians contain the phrasing - 'some will be preachers, some evangelisers, some teachers and some prophets.' This isn't an exact quotation but the idea is important. I have had this discussion with many of Jehovah's Witnesses, all of whom do have my great respect as students and fellow humans. I was not ever asked to knock on people's doors because I wear a beard and ponytail and have yet to find any sensible reason why not despite much tutting from the older folks. Aren't we humans sweet? We ALL love a good tut at some-one elses' lifestyles.

Perhaps each of us could ask ourselves this questions: What have I done to deserve an everlasting reward? - Er, oh, er, nothing. What have I done to deserve execution? - er, oh, er, nothing either. Oh dear, quite a thorny problem really which is hard to sensibly answer and morally justify both answers. And now my brain hurts again.

However. being in God's service is important via whatever active route. Remember that too many cooks leave no-one to do the washing up. Ergo, too many door knocking visitors leave no-one to properly explain what is going on behind the scenes and where the more unusual doctrines are coming from.

Good luck to everyone and if you ever do sort this out let me know, please.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I've copied all the NT references and the OT references that relate to the good news of Jesus.

Re-occurring themes:

God reigns; the Kingdom of God.

The poor are comforted, captives are set free, and the sick are healed; a saviour has come.

Jesus is the Christ, Messiah has come, as prophesied in Isaiah. There is peace.

Isa 52:7 How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those who bring good news, who proclaim peace, who bring good tidings, who proclaim salvation, who say to Zion, "Your God reigns!"

Isa 61:1 The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me, because the LORD has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners,

Nah 1:15 Look, there on the mountains, the feet of one who brings good news, who proclaims peace! Celebrate your festivals, O Judah, and fulfill your vows. No more will the wicked invade you; they will be completely destroyed.

Mat 4:23 Jesus went throughout Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the good news of the kingdom, and healing every disease and sickness among the people.

Mat 9:35 Jesus went through all the towns and villages, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the good news of the kingdom and healing every disease and sickness.

Mat 11:5 The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy are cured, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is preached to the poor.

Mar 1:14 After John was put in prison, Jesus went into Galilee, proclaiming the good news of God.

Mar 1:15 "The time has come," he said. "The kingdom of God is near. Repent and believe the good news!"

Mar 16:15 He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation.

Luk 1:16-19 Many of the people of Israel will [John the Baptist] bring back to the Lord their God. And he will go on before the Lord, in the spirit and power of Elijah, to turn the hearts of the fathers to their children and the disobedient to the wisdom of the righteous—to make ready a people prepared for the Lord." … The angel answered, "I am Gabriel. I stand in the presence of God, and I have been sent to speak to you and to tell you this good news.

Luk 2:10-14 But the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord. This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger." Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying, "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests."

Luk 3:18 And with many other words John exhorted the people and preached the good news to them.

Luk 4:18-21 "The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor." Then he rolled up the scroll, gave it back to the attendant and sat down. The eyes of everyone in the synagogue were fastened on him, and he began by saying to them, "Today this scripture is fulfilled in your hearing."

Luk 4:43 But he said, "I must preach the good news of the kingdom of God to the other towns also, because that is why I was sent."

Luk 7:22 So he replied to the messengers, "Go back and report to John what you have seen and heard: The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy are cured, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is preached to the poor.

Luk 8:1 After this, Jesus traveled about from one town and village to another, proclaiming the good news of the kingdom of God. The Twelve were with him,

Luk 16:16 "The Law and the Prophets were proclaimed until John. Since that time, the good news of the kingdom of God is being preached, and everyone is forcing his way into it.

Act 5:42 Day after day, in the temple courts and from house to house, they never stopped teaching and proclaiming the good news that Jesus is the Christ.

Act 8:12 But when they believed Philip as he preached the good news of the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.

Act 8:35 Then Philip began with that very passage of Scripture and told him the good news about Jesus.

Act 10:36 You know the message God sent to the people of Israel, telling the good news of peace through Jesus Christ, who is Lord of all.

Act 11:20 Some of them, however, men from Cyprus and Cyrene, went to Antioch and began to speak to Greeks also, telling them the good news about the Lord Jesus.

Act 13:32 "We tell you the good news: What God promised our fathers he has fulfilled for us, their children, by raising up Jesus. As it is written in the second Psalm: "?'You are my Son; today I have become your Father.

Act 14:5-7 There was a plot afoot among the Gentiles and Jews, together with their leaders, to mistreat them and stone them. But they found out about it and fled to the Lycaonian cities of Lystra and Derbe and to the surrounding country, where they continued to preach the good news.

Act 14:15 "Men, why are you doing this? We too are only men, human like you. We are bringing you good news, telling you to turn from these worthless things to the living God, who made heaven and earth and sea and everything in them.

Act 14:21 They preached the good news in that city and won a large number of disciples. Then they returned to Lystra, Iconium and Antioch,

Act 17:18 A group of Epicurean and Stoic philosophers began to dispute with him. Some of them asked, "What is this babbler trying to say?" Others remarked, "He seems to be advocating foreign gods." They said this because Paul was preaching the good news about Jesus and the resurrection.

Rom 10:15 And how can they preach unless they are sent? As it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!"

(All verses from the New International Version, from a search of the online www.bluletterbible.org )

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit