Does the Christian message fall apart without a literal interpretation of Genesis?

by nicolaou 175 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• myelaine
    myelaine

dear PSacramento...

you said: "Sometimes we forget that even the apostles didn't always agree with each other or see eye-to-eye, such was the case with Paul, Peter and James, even John and James and the rest of the apostles, even Thomas.

We don't always have to agree on every little point about doctrine, we are all under Our Lord and how Our lord chooses to reveal himself to each of us is Up to Him.

Peace and love amongst all believers, in Our Lord Jesus Christ."...

while scripture mentions disagreement among the apostles I doubt the church would have come to a "unity of the faith" if they had simply agreed to disagree...likely they brought forth their good reasons until a concensus was achieved. I also doubt that the nature of Jesus Christ was ever considered a little point about doctrine. Jesus Christ is the foundation of the faith...what a shaky foundation if He can be both God and not God at the same time. how could the church make a legitimate defence of its faith to an unbeliever? why would martyrs concede to such a waffleing doctrine? in fact james 5:20 makes much of the difference between truth and error...the difference being the persons salvation or not. faith confronts the erring brother...this is true and enduring love. when we were talking on tuesday I had mentioned how unity in body of Christ goes hand in hand with unity of purpose. 1 john 2:19 speaks of those that had their own agenda apart from building up the body for a purpose (2 thess 1:10) *amen!!*...verse 21 agrees that no lie(error) is of the truth...there is only one truth then...Jesus is God the Son or Jesus is not God the Son.

Jesus agreed that He was the Son of God making Himself equal with God(john 5:17-18)...put another way..."Whoever denies the Son does not have the Father either; he who acknowledges the Son has the Father also." (1 john 2:23).

love michelle

• ProdigalSon
  • ProdigalSon
  • garyneal
    garyneal

Are you using IE 9 Prodigal Son?

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

YES!!

I only use IE to cut and paste or add links....

Do you know what's up with it?

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Snowbird

Both love the Master.

That's the problem, we have different masters (see Luke 16:13 and Mat 6:24). I hate her master and she hates mine.

We don't have to "hate" each other, I'll be civil as we discuss our differences.

PS and Nic

We don't always have to agree on every little point about doctrine, we are all under Our Lord and how Our lord chooses to reveal himself to each of us is Up to Him.

The Deity of Christ is the issue. It's the one that Christianity rides on. It's not a "little point about doctrine" it's THE major one. It is a fundamental of the Christian faith.

How one views Genesis is important, but not the centrol issue. That's the point I've been trying to make.

As to how Christ is revealed, you're right it is up to Him. Has he revealed Himself to YOU as a loving God or as something else?

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Hi michelle

Very well said

• tec
    tec

DD - I believe Jesus is divine. I believe he is of the same nature as God. I just don't believe that he IS God. I do not deny any scripture; I do not see any scripture as saying other than what I just said here. Jesus is the Son. God is the Father. The Father is greater than the Son. They are one in spirit, as we can all be one in spirit, yes. Both divine, but not the exact same being. Now if my Lord ever reveals differently to me, or grants me different understanding, then so be it. But I only have to be acceptable to him.

Peace,

Tammy

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Tammy

I believe he is of the same nature as God. I just don't believe that he IS God.

That's like saying; I'm of the same nature as humans. I just don't believe I'm human.

I don't believe Jesus and the Father are the same person.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    The Deity of Christ is the issue. It's the one that Christianity rides on. It's not a "little point about doctrine" it's THE major one. It is a fundamental of the Christian faith.
    How one views Genesis is important, but not the centrol issue. That's the point I've been trying to make.
    As to how Christ is revealed, you're right it is up to Him. Has he revealed Himself to YOU as a loving God or as something else?

I agree DD, that is not a minor issue at all, far from it.

I was speaking in general trm sin regards to human doctrine.

I believe Jesus to be God, being begotten of God Jesus can be nothing else.

And as you, I do NOT beleive Jesus and God to be the same person, and the Trinity dotrine makes that clear, they are NOT.

God had revealed himself to me, though his SOn Jesus and God is a loving God, but he is also a God of Judgment and a God so above our understanding that ONLY in His Son can we begin to fathom what God truly is.

Interpretating Genesis as literal when God has revealed to us in his work that is nature that Genesis is NOT to be take as literal is putting the word of God as written by Man ABOVE The WORKS of God as revealed to us in the Universe God created.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit